10 replies to this topic

#1 kccellall

kccellall

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Finally found some orange manzano pods at a mexican supermarket here in missouri and i must say i love the flavor and scent with just the right amount of heat, I will be saving the seed to grow a few plants this summer

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,580 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

I'm on my way! Lol

#3 kccellall

kccellall

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

I'm on my way! Lol

If you want seeds let me know ill have plenty and dont mind sharing

#4 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

One Mexican market near me has the large orange Manzano too. Around $6/lb. I haven't tried them yet.

#5 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,580 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Maybe I should try my local Mexican spot

#6 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

Xalapeños and manzanos are big sellers in Méjico for a very good reason, they are delicious.

37869761652_e878842c52_o.jpgmex2-1 by Willard Bridgham, on Flickr

Edited by willard3, 14 January 2018 - 09:12 AM.

Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#7 Alpaca Punch

Alpaca Punch

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Over the summer the Sav-Mor in Corning, California had manzanos for $5/lb.  I bought 2 lbs. That Sav-Mor does cater to the local mexican population.  I did notice that the fine print on the small sticker on each pepper stated that they had been irradiated. Don't know if the seeds will grow but plan to see if they do germinate.  Last month a Safeway in Redding, CA had orange manzanos for $7/lb. but they did not look good- many were bruised and soft. I passed on those.

#8 jhc

jhc

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:17 AM

Over the summer the Sav-Mor in Corning, California had manzanos for $5/lb.  I bought 2 lbs. That Sav-Mor does cater to the local mexican population.  I did notice that the fine print on the small sticker on each pepper stated that they had been irradiated. Don't know if the seeds will grow but plan to see if they do germinate.  Last month a Safeway in Redding, CA had orange manzanos for $7/lb. but they did not look good- many were bruised and soft. I passed on those.

Worth trying to grow them... seems like a decent chance it will work

https://www.research...in_a_greenhouse

#9 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

Me too... Went to the mercado for some Jalapeños and Poblanos, and saw they had bags of orange Manzanos, too. I'd never tried them before, but they were CHEAP and seemed fresh. Dang, those are tasty peppers. Hotter than I thought they'd be, but they got a casual burn and incredibly fruity flavor.

I saved some seeds from the first pod... I looked into it, and I'm not going to be able to meet their temperature requirements... Lmk if anyone wants seeds.

Edited by Bicycle808, 21 January 2018 - 10:14 PM.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#10 labuyo

labuyo

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

Hope you are successful in growing them.

#11 stc3248

stc3248

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

I grow them every year. They are a very long season pepper from seed to fruit, so plant the seeds early. They can also be a bit tricky to germinate, so don't be afraid to plant plenty of seeds. I actually don't germinate them in rockwool or pellets like the rest of my peppers. I sow 3 or 4 seeds in  several small nursery containers..regular potting mix topped with about a half inch of seed starter and place them under lights in my tent instead of on heat mats. Once they are up and running they grow very fast and need lots of room. They prefer a spot with mid day shade or at least filtered sun. Good luck they are an amazing plant that will grow giant if given the right conditions. 

stc3248's 2014 grow log
www.imarunnut.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests