78 replies to this topic

#1 Muckyai

Muckyai

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

Is there a pepper variety that you dislike? Which ones and why.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

Bell peppers. Not a lot of flavor and the plants are poor producers.

#3 Buzzman19

Buzzman19

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • aka:Buzzman19

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Well I grew the Aji Habanero variety a few years ago, it was labeled as a very mild in heat sweet pepper.  I remember it being "very seedy" and not much sweetness to speak of.   I think the amount of seeds and bitterness of them affected the taste of the pepper greatly. 

I cant really say I dislike many peppers, as I think some are better in certain applications and such.  I like Aji Peppers pickled like pepper rings, so in the right application all peppers are pretty good usually. 

That being said the Aji Habanero was a real disappointment for me. 

Cheers

#4 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,421 posts
  • aka:moruga welder

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

Bell peppers. Not a lot of flavor and the plants are poor producers.

gotta grow these , great flavor with jalapeno heat ,  :party:

IMG_5674.JPG

#5 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_5674.JPG

What are they?

#6 Masher

Masher

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

http://thehotpepper....-1515891321.jpg

Also interested, I could stuff those with endless possibilities!!

#7 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

I'm assuming Cajun bell. If so, I have seeds for it. It's on my grow list.

#8 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

What are they?

ANTEP ACI DOLMA ,   really sweet , with jalapeno heat , love em'  fajitas, chili . stuffed pepper soup , pizza , great producers , huge pods , that pick is 2 different Phenos , 1 is a long pheno , the other is squat , I grew 4 plants put up about 25 lbs foodsavered . 

#9 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Also interested, I could stuff those with endless possibilities!!

ah yes , great stuffers !     :party:

#10 Sinn

Sinn

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Those ANTEP ACI DOLMA sound tasty anyone have a link to seeds? looked at the usual places none seems to carry them :tear:

#11 Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • aka:Voodoo
  • Location:Born In Texas (The Holy Land) but live in New Mexico for now.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Never really had a bad pepper per se, but had some with no flavor or heat.

#12 BlackFatalii

BlackFatalii

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. My least favorite superhot pepper. The few that I have tried all had a very strong, perfume-like floral taste that I really didn't care for. I suppose they might be OK in a sauce or used in cooking where the floralness could be masked a bit, but not eaten fresh like I did.

Those ANTEP ACI DOLMA sound tasty anyone have a link to seeds? looked at the usual places none seems to carry them :tear:

Ford's is the only vendor that I have seen selling them, but he seems to be out of stock right now. Here is the link anyway: http://www.fordsfier...Antep-aci-dolma

#13 Sinn

Sinn

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. My least favorite superhot pepper. The few that I have tried all had a very strong, perfume-like floral taste that I really didn't care for. I suppose they might be OK in a sauce or used in cooking where the floralness could be masked a bit, but not eaten fresh like I did.

Ford's is the only vendor that I have seen selling them, but he seems to be out of stock right now. Here is the link anyway: http://www.fordsfier...Antep-aci-dolma

Thank you will keep an eye on that hopefully they get some soon

#14 PtMD989

PtMD989

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

I think bell peppers are not my favorite. They give me heartburn and the nasty taste of them sticks around for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 Jase4224

Jase4224

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

Cant stand any small C. Anuums.. full of seeds and yuck taste. Examples are birds eye and black pearl.. again just full of seeds and what small amount of flesh there is tastes crap. Great ornamentals though.

Also agree on the Butch T scorpion they taste like fuel to me (yes Ive tasted petrol but not intentionally).

Red and caramel Ghosts are also horrible IMO they taste like pot puri dipped in hydrochloric acid.

Everybody is different though and many people enjoy the varieties I have listed so best way is to grow as much as you can and see for yourself.

#16 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Mammoth, Giganti or Goliath jalapeno.....every single one i grew had almost no heat at all and even the flavor was terribly bland.

Birds eye and Thai dragon cayenne hybrid....all i can taste is heat and full of seeds. At least a Tabasco pepper makes a very interesting hot vinegar and some of the more common cayeene have a flavor other than just heat....Super Chiles are the only ones i still like to grow each year just because the hot vinegar is so good and they grow like a weed.

#17 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

This place has them too

http://chilli-seedz....ntep-aci-dolma/

#18 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,479 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

Worst? So far, any "ornamental" type I've ever grown. Yeah, they're hot, but they're usually bitter, IMO. They're not known for their great flavor or anything though, lol

Red Fatalii or Red Scotch Bonnet, "Foodarama" strain are the first things that come to mind after ornamentals. Might be the only 2 pods I've ever spit out because of the flavor. I felt that taste (of both) was very "vegetabley" and bitter. Just my opinion

I actually like Bells (all colors). They serve their purpose. I like them baked and stuffed, sautéed, or raw dipped in ranch dressing. I use them all the time to "bulk up" hot sauces. Sure, there are better varieties out there for those things, but I don't mind them at all
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#19 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

Im pretty fond of a sweet bell with a little char on it from the grill or broiler. They just take up too much real-estate in the garden so i dont grow them anymore.

#20 wrinklenuts

wrinklenuts

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

Red morugas are too floral. Brown Morugas from pepperlover destroy my stomach in a major way. They are pure evil.

Edited by wrinklenuts, 14 January 2018 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests