• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Best fertilizer for citrus?

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
I just recently purchased an Australian finger lime plant and wondering what the best fertilizer to use for it is. It's a dwarf variety and I have it in a pretty large pot. The nursery recommends a slow release fert for it but I'm not sure if i'm a big fan of slow release ferts. it's too difficult to determine when the fert is depleted and i'd rather not wait til the plant shows signs of deficiency before feeding. What is everyone feeding their citrus? thanks!

dragonsfire said:
I posted a data sheet pdf on the other thread on growing them.
I read the whole article (which was very informative. Thank you for posting it) but it also said that no real research has been done it. I've read a hundred different opinions on how to grow them and it gets a little confusing to say the least. I'm also planning on buying other citrus too, so i'm looking for some good input on citrus in general and what everyone is using for fert. Especially along the lines of slow release ferts vs quick release formulas.

Edmick said:
I read the whole article (which was very informative. Thank you for posting it) but it also said that no real research has been done it. I've read a hundred different opinions on how to grow them and it gets a little confusing to say the least. I'm also planning on buying other citrus too, so i'm looking for some good input on citrus in general and what everyone is using for fert. Especially along the lines of slow release ferts vs quick release formulas.
 I have 7 citrus and 7 avocado tree's that I use it on and all in containers. I use it in spring and summer. All my tree's get a 2 inch layer of mulch and I like to throw coffee grounds in all my container plants, tree's and berries. I also have some other fruit tree's in containers and a peach, nectarine, apple and plum tree in the ground. Take a look at this thread.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/48102-4-new-trees-in-20-gal-containers/

This is the container i have the finger lime in and what I'll probably use for the other citrus I get too. It should be big enough for dwarf varieties right?

Back