• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Accidental over-winter…

Hi all, 

So back in the fall I left some of my plants in their containers on my front porch, never pruned them back really, barely gave them water from about November until now, and the deeper we got into winter the lazier I got until I finally just figured I'd bother with them once spring got ready to roll around… and so, today I was outside straightening up and getting ready for a proper spring cleaning, and in doing so was going along cutting down all my pepper plants from last year that were still sitting around, tossing the branches, etc, only to discover as I was chopping away that several of them have survived! I cut the trunks down to about 2 inches on everything, only to find them still green inside on about 10 plants. 

Now - have I done unknowing damage by chopping the crap out of them right before spring? Does it matter since most of the upper part of the plant was dead anyway?
What should I do now, if anything? Should I go ahead and start giving them more water now? Fertilizer? Re-pot? Wait and see what happens?

Temps have been in the 40s daytime, and 30s nighttime lately.

If they die then they die I guess, since I wasn't expecting to have any live, but since they made it this far it would be cool to have them around for the year.

Thanks! 

I'm overwintering a few plants as well. The main goal is just to keep the roots alive until spring. If you have any nodes or leaves left growing off your 2" stem it will be able to survive. Not sure if it would make it otherwise. I would give it a shot of nutrients if you want then transplant in spring. They don't really need a whole lot of water overwinter either since they are kind of dormant not producing anything.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Dalia said:
Hi all, 

So back in the fall I left some of my plants in their containers on my front porch, never pruned them back really, barely gave them water from about November until now, and the deeper we got into winter the lazier I got until I finally just figured I'd bother with them once spring got ready to roll around… and so, today I was outside straightening up and getting ready for a proper spring cleaning, and in doing so was going along cutting down all my pepper plants from last year that were still sitting around, tossing the branches, etc, only to discover as I was chopping away that several of them have survived! I cut the trunks down to about 2 inches on everything, only to find them still green inside on about 10 plants. 

Now - have I done unknowing damage by chopping the crap out of them right before spring? Does it matter since most of the upper part of the plant was dead anyway?
What should I do now, if anything? Should I go ahead and start giving them more water now? Fertilizer? Re-pot? Wait and see what happens?

Temps have been in the 40s daytime, and 30s nighttime lately.

If they die then they die I guess, since I wasn't expecting to have any live, but since they made it this far it would be cool to have them around for the year.

Thanks! 

My vote is do nothing different until your season starts.  I've killed overwinters by trying to make them happy.  My best survival rate has been leaving them until spring.

Maybe move them to a warm location that gets light.  Freezing/cold temps are bad news.  Just try not to over love them.  

NeedsWork said:

My vote is do nothing different until your season starts.  I've killed overwinters by trying to make them happy.  My best survival rate has been leaving them until spring.

Maybe move them to a warm location that gets light.  Freezing/cold temps are bad news.  Just try not to over love them.  

Yeah, Im sure the minimal messing with them is part of why they made it in the first place. I guess what's worrying me is the bare, exposed part of the trunk now where I chopped them.. since they're basically stubs now, if we have any more low to freezing nights will it make it worse for the plants to pull through the rest of the way til spring?

Theyre in an area where they get several hours of daytime sun, and are pretty well sheltered.

Dalia said:

Yeah, Im sure the minimal messing with them is part of why they made it in the first place. I guess what's worrying me is the bare, exposed part of the trunk now where I chopped them.. since they're basically stubs now, if we have any more low to freezing nights will it make it worse for the plants to pull through the rest of the way til spring?

Theyre in an area where they get several hours of daytime sun, and are pretty well sheltered.

I've never had peppers make it through a solid freeze.  I'd move them in if it is going to be below 40F.  

I've cut mine back to stumps and they sprout new growth... provided they don't freeze and have light/food/minimal water.  :) 

Back