• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Non fermented mash

I have tried the fermented thing several times and I want to try something different. Does anyone know the proper vinegar to pepper ratio to make a safe non fermented mash? I have heard others reference 93 % peppers to 7 % vinegar but I am not sure. If so is that by weight?

Hi Fireeater86,

You might find some useful info in this thread.  But truly if you're making a non fermented cooked hot sauce you should be using a pH meter.  The meter will enable you to accurately gauge the pH of your sauce, thereby insuring safety.  

Thank you. The plain was to just blend up vinegar, peppers, and salt and then pressure can it. The pH meters I have had were very inconsistent. I figure I could just pressure can it and then the pH wouldn't matter.

^^^ that is correct.  

Other methods like boiling water bath or hot fill/hold require knowing the pH is at a safe low level.  Pressure canning is a guaranteed safe method when done properly regardless of the pH.

Back