• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Sorry Guys Your Favorite Hot Sauce is Bad!!!

Just kidding, but in all seriousness I can't get behind overtly vinegar-y sauces, such as classic hot sauces like Tabasco. AND YEA I SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT TABASCO! Come at me, bro!

tenor.gif

I'm not saying I don't like Tabasco. I mean who doesn't like a few dabs of Tabasco on their burger at a summer bbq or just at their favorite burger joint, but there are some hands down better sauces. It's not just Tabasco that is guilty of this either, and I get that you need a certain level of acidity. 

My point is I feel like most people's favorite hot sauces are LAZY!

Yellowbird, currently no questions, is the best hot sauces in the game, so much so they had to rebranded themselves as a condiment cause they just couldn't be seen around other hot sauces. Their game is just on another level. They have their flavor down. That's just not an arguable point. This sauce is a top seller on amazon. They have their texture down. Maybe you don't like it, but that cause...

tenor.gif

Tell me a brand with better flavor!?!? DEFEND YOUR FAVORITE HOT SAUCE!

Welcome to the forum. I make my own sauce
Today I'm actually going to make a roasted tomatillo and green baccatum sauce and see how it goes.
Pinch of salt, little garlic, little lime. Only enough vinegar to make the pH good.

Edit:Alright NYC, I see your favorite pepper is the habanero, I hope we can expand your horizon and turn you into a seed hoarding maniac like the rest of us.

+1 for Lucky Dog Hot Sauces
They were really an eye opener for me as to what commercial hot sauce could be.
an introduction to artisanal hot sauce condiments if you will.

That being said, I have enjoyed many many sauces here from Hobby Sauce :hotsauce: makers, that blow most of the commercial competition out of the water  :onfire:

like Wow  :shocked:

If i were given only the choices of common table sauces at restaurants here, I would choose Cholula over Tabasco and even thats just meh. 
i will not put that yukytaco / yucateco stuff anywhere near my food. As it taste like what i imagine salty paint would taste like to me  :sick:  YUCK  :!:

Im sorta hooked on a couple from Marie Sharps simply because of cost. A local store has it for under $3 a bottle. Some of hers though are way too salty (400ish mg salty). Cholula aint bad either for cheap but their chipotle is way too mild. BliS Blast is killer if you want something you can use like ketchup. Its just insanely expensive.

In defense of Tabasco i do get the jalapeno when its on sale and the habanero too.

I use the jalapeno when im feeling lazy and just want to zap some nachos in the microwave. Its also good on white beans. I get the regular chipolte occasionally too. Once summer arrives though and plants have pods i dont buy much sauce unless its unique.

Gunther's gourmet
sauce goddess
seafire gourmet SweetSpicyGirl!!!!!
high river sauces
secret aardvark
burns & McCoy
lucky dog
char-man
cully's
heartbreaking dawns
gemini crow
sam & oliver
hot maple 
torchbearer
volcanic peppers
red hawk peppers
truth serum
oso pepper co
edit- and this is why I hate listing sauces, I always forget some!
peppers north
ken's pepper co
texas creek fire roasted red sauce
defcon wing sauces

look up winners of other hot sauce competitions-
Golden Chiles and Scovies

ps- I don't like sriracha.....too salty!

brochachosHS said:
Just kidding, but in all seriousness I can't get behind overtly vinegar-y sauces, such as classic hot sauces like Tabasco. AND YEA I SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT TABASCO! Come at me, bro!

My point is I feel like most people's favorite hot sauces are LAZY!

Tell me a brand with better flavor!?!? DEFEND YOUR FAVORITE HOT SAUCE!
I think you will find that most regulars here go way deeper than Tabasco or yellowbird. Most here, myself included think of them more in terms of a seasoning like salt and pepper than a legitimate way to add heat.

What I stock regularly

Crystal hot sauce is my go to for that salty vinegar taste.

Grace scotch bonnet is a great inexpensive sauce. Can pick it up at any grocery store around here for around 3$ pretty much tastes like straight up scotch bonnet. Slightly less heat than a fresh mild pod.

Sriracha- again more of a seasoning

I usually have one or the other of the following. Both awesome on eggs
High river
Tears of the Sun. Great tropical fruity sauce.

Or

pickapeppa hot mango sauce. Also huge tropical fruit flavour with nice hum of heat.

These days if I am just looking for heat to get my attention I step it up to powder or flake.

Back