• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil help

so I have no green thumb. so I ordered some reeper pepper plants off of face book. got some 7 gallon fabric bags.  what soil should I use  and what ration to mix with dirt?

Just use regular potting soil. No need to mix it with anything. Any high quality potting soil will do just fine. Whether it's miracle or something else. Don't get the cheapest potting soil you can find either. From my experience, my peppers have never really done well in it. You'll need to figure out which nutrient solution you're gonna give them too. After about a month, the nutrients in the potting soil are pretty much depleted so a weekly dose of a dilute nutrient solution will be needed. MG granules are fine if you're looking to just keep it simple but there are a lot of other options out there.

If you dont mind a little more money, fox farms stuff is in my experience, by far the best.
Ocean forrest is what I use now and can tell the difference after a month vs almost any other soil for containers.
Theres also one called happy frog a lot of people rave about but Ive never tried that one.

Ive got a few im testing with Pro-Mix all purpose. 1 2cuft bale mixed with 8qt bag of perlite and about 2 cups of worm castings per pot. Its not that hot yet but looking good sofar.

Im picking up a 40/pine fine 40/compost and 20/rice hull mix in a few minutes to try in a couple more pots. Both fabric and hard pots.

Back