•  

Photo

In The News: Chili grower defends world's hottest pepper after man who ate one was hospitalized

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 47,019 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

http://www.foxnews.c...spitalized.html

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

The article seems biased, taking the woman's claim of "dying" out of the context of "by the end of the competition" after having eating like 15 hot peppers then the reaper.

#3 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 11,111 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

Any Dr. that says the pepper caused the headache is foolish because that can't be proven.

IMO dude likely had a pre existing condition and it would have happened at some point without the pepper.

The shock of the pod may have helped kick off the situation but caused it, nah I'm not buying that.

#4 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

`
"We have sold, in the past couple of years or so, over half a million Carolina reapers and I have never had any knowledge or any complaint of anyone having to be hospitalised."

“We have sold, in the past few years therefore, in excess of half of a thousand Carolina reapers and I’ve not ever experienced any knowledge or some complaint of anyone being forced to be hurt,” Genovese advised Sky News.

..................q2baUwJ.jpg

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#5 geeme

geeme

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:59 PM

Interesting. So I am curious..... I've never eaten a reaper as I don't like the flavors of most super-hots. But I've eaten T-Scorps and such. Never had intense pain for "an hour or two" following eating one. Anyone here eaten a reaper and had intense pain for "an hour or two"?

Vision w/o action is merely a dream. Action w/o vision just passes time. Vision with action can change the world. - JOEL BARKER

#6 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

Interesting. So I am curious..... I've never eaten a reaper as I don't like the flavors of most super-hots. But I've eaten T-Scorps and such. Never had intense pain for "an hour or two" following eating one. Anyone here eaten a reaper and had intense pain for "an hour or two"?

I ate half a reaper on a charter bus at the start of a 3 hour ride with no drink or anything and I was in pain the whole entire time. Mouth pain subsided in like 15-20 minutes, but the stomach pain got worse and worse until I was sitting there sweating and decided to use the bathroom's trashcan.
If the guy had access to liquids it shouldn't have been that bad though. It also didn't help that I was sitting still. Moving helped.

#7 Gorizza

Gorizza

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

Interesting. So I am curious..... I've never eaten a reaper as I don't like the flavors of most super-hots. But I've eaten T-Scorps and such. Never had intense pain for "an hour or two" following eating one. Anyone here eaten a reaper and had intense pain for "an hour or two"

Unless you prepare your stomach, you can get some pretty awful pain right in the stomach for a few hours.

Then again in about 12 hours or so. but thats a different story...

#8 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

Good food shouldn't hurt.

Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#9 ako1974

ako1974

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

I ate half a reaper on a charter bus at the start of a 3 hour ride with no drink or anything and I was in pain the whole entire time. Mouth pain subsided in like 15-20 minutes, but the stomach pain got worse and worse until I was sitting there sweating and decided to use the bathroom's trashcan.
If the guy had access to liquids it shouldn't have been that bad though. It also didn't help that I was sitting still. Moving helped.

Was the plan to eat the pepper where you had few options/strategies or did someone dare you?

#10 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

Was the plan to eat the pepper where you had few options/strategies or did someone dare you?

I'd had another off of the same plant earlier in the day whole. It was way more of a dud so I vastly underestimated it.
I also had a drink that disappeared somehow.

#11 Ashen

Ashen

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:30 AM

Ghost peppers for me are much worse in the digestive pain department, and I personally think almost all of them taste like ass.

All the press the reaper gets on its heat
, overshadows just how nice tasting it is.

Based on my mood of the day it is my second or third favourite hot pepper just on taste. Definitely my favorite superhot
Scotch bonnet is my all time favorite for flavour, wiri wiri and reaper pretty well tied, red ripe jalapenos,then habenero to round out my top 5.

I have done a quarter of a finely mince reaper on my breakfast many times, without any dire reapercussions.

Edited by Ashen, 17 April 2018 - 01:31 AM.

A wise man never  argues with a skunk, a mule, or a cook.

#12 BSH

BSH

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • aka:BrooksideSuperHots

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Ghost peppers for me are much worse in the digestive pain department, and I personally think almost all of them taste like ass.

All the press the reaper gets on its heat
, overshadows just how nice tasting it is.

Based on my mood of the day it is my second or third favourite hot pepper just on taste. Definitely my favorite superhot
Scotch bonnet is my all time favorite for flavour, wiri wiri and reaper pretty well tied, red ripe jalapenos,then habenero to round out my top 5.

I have done a quarter of a finely mince reaper on my breakfast many times, without any dire reapercussions.

Yes but you have an iron stomach I believe :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests