22 replies to this topic

#1 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

I saw one of these at my local Walmart and picked one up. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it a normal yellow bhut or some weird cross? It seems to be new to Bonnie, as they don't have a page for it up and running.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

I found this:

http://www.johnnysee...-seed-3269.html

https://www.totallyt...t Hybrid Pepper

#3 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

I found this:

http://www.johnnysee...-seed-3269.html

https://www.totallyt...t Hybrid Pepper

Thanks!

Huh, it seems weird that they list it as an annuum. I'd think something with the ghost name and rated at 900k shu would definitely be chinense.

#4 DontPanic

DontPanic

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

That would be the hottest annuum I'd ever heard of!

#5 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

Other websites call it a chinense?

#6 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • aka:Fatknuckle

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

at Wally-world?  Seriously?  Wow, I want one (or two, or five).

#7 DontPanic

DontPanic

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

at Wally-world?  Seriously?  Wow, I want one (or two, or five).

As a bonus, WalMart includes a generous free helping of aphids.  Enough for your whole garden!  :P

#8 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

Ahhh, well we all need our daily helping of protein.  Ladybugs do too.

#9 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Thanks!

Huh, it seems weird that they list it as an annuum. I'd think something with the ghost name and rated at 900k shu would definitely be chinense.

While  Johnny's Golden Ghost - annuum shows individual pods in pic Totally Tomatoes - Golden Ghost Hybrid Pepper - chinense shows them on the plant, sure does look like multiple fruit per node (See below.) but both sites list this as a cross so, Inheritance and transfer of multiple-flower character from Capsicum chinense into Capsicum annuum.....

"Although it is unlikely that the multiple-flower character can be transferred to C. annuum in its full intensity while maintaining a horticulturally-acceptable phenotype, it may be possible to breed varieties which produce an average of more than 1.5 flowers per node, a value 50% higher than existing C. annuum varieties."

GoldenGhostHybridPepper.jpg

Hope this helps! NECM

Sorry, forgot... After grow out, pix of mature fruit, would show annular constriction....

In addition, the fruit of habanero chillies usually have an annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel, see below.
annualar%20constriction-2-website-with%2

What's a Habanero chilli?, Annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel

Edited by The_NorthEast_ChileMan, 21 May 2018 - 06:02 PM.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#10 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

While  Johnny's Golden Ghost - annuum shows individual pods in pic Totally Tomatoes - Golden Ghost Hybrid Pepper - chinense shows them on the plant, sure does look like multiple fruit per node (See below.) but both sites list this as a cross so, Inheritance and transfer of multiple-flower character from Capsicum chinense into Capsicum annuum.....

"Although it is unlikely that the multiple-flower character can be transferred to C. annuum in its full intensity while maintaining a horticulturally-acceptable phenotype, it may be possible to breed varieties which produce an average of more than 1.5 flowers per node, a value 50% higher than existing C. annuum varieties."

GoldenGhostHybridPepper.jpg

Hope this helps! NECM

Sorry, forgot... After grow out, pix of mature fruit, would show annular constriction....

In addition, the fruit of habanero chillies usually have an annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel, see below.
annualar%20constriction-2-website-with%2

What's a Habanero chilli?, Annular constriction between the calyx and pedicel

That's interesting. Hopefully I keep it alive long enough to find out how the pods are.

#11 Spicy Mushroom

Spicy Mushroom

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • aka:Zip

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

How is yours doing? Of all my plants (50+ varieties) my Golden Ghost has the most fruit-set so far. It's doing really well with its vegetative growth as well. To me it seems like it's an annuum x chinense cross.

#12 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:54 PM

Mine had a bit of a setback with some experimenting I did where it lost most of its leaves, but it's bounced back. No fruit yet though. Definitely growing pretty well vegetatively vs my other ghosts

#13 verne

verne

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

I manage the garden center for a Home Depot in Idaho. I was looking forward to Bonnie's Golden Ghost since this March, when Bonnie's told us there would be two kinds of ghosts this year: red and yellow.

I was stoked. I had saved the seeds from red ghost in 2017 and regrew them this year, but those plants died off during the hardening process. 

According to the Bonnie's rep the company's golden ghost had numerous failures and a complete die off in cases, which halted the golden ghost from ever being in my area or most areas. I bugged him constantly about when we were going to get a shipment of them in. None of the competitors around here (Lowe's, WalMart) had the golden ghost either. 

At least one of the red ghosts I picked up in May, when the plants were $1.89 for the daily deal, happened to be the golden, though it was labeled red and all from the same tray. 

I'm hoping at least one of the other two is red. Below is the ripe golden that took 31 days to complete.

V

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3667.JPG

#14 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

That looks... Very different from my golden ghost. I don't have a rile pod yet but I have a couple setting. I'll reply with a pic

#15 MisterBigglesworth

MisterBigglesworth

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

Verne, yours sure looks like an annum. Has it got heat?
"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

#16 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

Have seen the red Bhut cross here at the local HD, but have not seen the yellow variety as of yet. Reds do very well. :onfire:

#17 verne

verne

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

Haven't tried this bad boy yet (half's going into a salsa & the other half a jam) but the green ones kick pretty hard.

V

#18 verne

verne

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

I'm saving seeds from both so I can send some your way at season's end. 

V

Have seen the red Bhut cross here at the local HD, but have not seen the yellow variety as of yet. Reds do very well. :onfire:

#19 SpeakPolish

SpeakPolish

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

So does it taste like an annuum

#20 verne

verne

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

The "look" is merely just a different phenotype and doesn't mean this is an annuum. Bonnie's red ghosts have two different phenotypes, at least in 2017, one smooth and one traditionally bubbly. I ended up with both phones, and one of the peppers had a scorpion tail. 

It tastes like a ghost pepper to me. While yellow is generally "not as hot" it is still potent. Walls are maybe thicker than usual. 

V

So does it taste like an annuum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests