• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Odd Looking New Growth

This problem is affecting more than half of my pepper plants this year. I have yet to find any pests. Is this broad mite damage? Any information will help, thank you!

-Ryan Nichols [Zone 9B]

Attachments

• pepper1.jpg
    pepper1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 103
  • pepper2.jpg
    pepper2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 89
You need to inspect up close with at least 10-20X magnification, to see broad mites.  Also, the tell-tale sign, will be a temporary growth stoppage.
Since this is the internet, I'm just guessing at this one - but I'm gonna say this probably isn't broad mite, simply because the terminal buds aren't mangled any worse than the surrounding leaves. BUT...  that's not authoritative.  It's just an educated guess. When terminal buds get hard claw-shaped, and waxy, and stop growing, or become necrotic, that's broad mites, for sure.  If they just come out wrinkled, there are a few options.
Have you had a lot of rain recently?  Also, how long have these been outside?  What is your feeding schedule?

FYI - broad mites don't tend to be localized.  They put the smack down on EVERYTHING in their path.  Even regular old weeds in the yard.  So, if you have what looks like broad mite damage on feral plants in your yard, then you've definitely got them.
This is why it's a good idea to keep weeds pulled around containers or raised beds...  No bridges to your pepper plants.
Check the surrounding area for funny looking plants.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to let him tell us what his rain situation and feed schedule have been like, before instantly recommending that he blindly dose a commercial product?

I have some plants that start looking like that after heavy rains.  There is no shortage of calcium or phosphorus in my soil.  And yet, I once got the same recommendation.  But when it started to dry out, and nutrient uptake resumed as normal, the problem went away, with no action.

Major Pain said:
I was just trying to bounce around a "what if", or a "could it be".

My comment was in regards to the CalMag suggestion.  (not yours, sorry for the misunderstanding)
I am certainly not disputing the possibility of calcium deficiency.  I just know that there are a handful of conditions that mimic it, and sometimes, we rush to a quick fix.  CalMag is not a cheap product, and if it's not absolutely necessary, why add it?

I totally understand.  I even had the over water look a few times.  I don't use calmag..  I actually dissolve tums in vinegar then add to water with epsom salts..  just as good.

`
solid7 said:
Wouldn't it be a good idea to let him tell us what his rain situation and feed schedule have been like, before instantly recommending that he blindly dose a commercial product?
`
Wouldn't be a good idea to check the OP's weather before you blindly compare his situation to yours in FL?

wzdoZrZ.jpg

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
`
Wouldn't be a good idea to check the OP's weather before you blindly compare his situation to yours in FL?

wzdoZrZ.jpg

With all due respect...  I didn't assume anything, nor do I make it my own responsibility to check other people's weather conditions.  I'm willing to help insomuch as anyone is willing to help themselves, and be helped.

That statement was not intended to reflect on the OP.  I would very much like to see their issue resolved.  But thank you for your concern. ;)

It hasn't rained in about a month, and I've had them in pots outside and in the ground for well over a month now. When i transplanted them I added some some 4-12-4 transplant fertilizer, and once I see buds I add Neptune's organic fish and seaweed formula (2-3-1). So far I have only added Neptune's to a few plants. I didn't think about calcium, it definitely could be that. I generally try to compost with eggshells and banana peels, but I didn't this year. 

rnichols1990 said:
It hasn't rained in about a month, and I've had them in pots outside and in the ground for well over a month now. When i transplanted them I added some some 4-12-4 transplant fertilizer, and once I see buds I add Neptune's organic fish and seaweed formula (2-3-1). So far I have only added Neptune's to a few plants. I didn't think about calcium, it definitely could be that. I generally try to compost with eggshells and banana peels, but I didn't this year. 

Is the problem related to just your container plants, or also to the in-ground plants?
Do you have the issue on the plants that you've added the fish fertilizer to?

I have 6 plants in the ground, and three in pots. The abnormal growth is on both those in the ground and in pots. It also is on those I've fertilized and those I haven't yet. So theres not really a variable to isolate and deem problematic. I ordered a product with calcium, magnesium, and iron that corrects common deficiencies. So we will see if this does the trick. Thank you all for your help!

I'm in Sacramento as well and nearly all my peppers outside the shade-clothed area (30+ plants) have foliage that look like this. 

I'm pretty darn sure it's a result of the heat blast we got hit with recently.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I'm in Sacramento as well and nearly all my peppers outside the shade-clothed area (30+ plants) have foliage that look like this. 

I'm pretty darn sure it's a result of the heat blast we got hit with recently.

I was kinda trying to figure out the weather, for this reason...  When plants aren't growing optimally in their environment, they can sometimes start producing issues that mimic nutrient deficiencies.  It's not that the nutrients are necessarily deficient, or not there...  It's just that they aren't sufficiently (or consistently) mobile, to be utilized at the right time.

I like what you said in another thread about pots and shading.  Keeping roots cool is vitally important.  That is a factor that can also disrupt nutrient uptake.  So can too much water, or too little water.  And when one nutrient gets disrupted, others sometimes follow.  Nitrogen and Calcium, for example, tend to follow along with one another.

Back