• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Advice for Drip Irrigation

All of my produce stock is field grow.  But I am gradually moving to containers for seed stock.  Went away last weekend without watering, things were way droopy when I got back.  Five gallon containers, but they are black and suck up the sun.  Thinking about drip irrigation for next year, but have no clue what to consider.

I do not want them to run off the house because that is county water.  Thinking more like 50 gallon drum higher than the containers, so gravity feeds the system.  I have seen drip that uses a computer on the hose outlet, turns it on and off.  Thinking just gravity feed and slow drip would work better.  But again, I have no clue.

If you do drip and can point me to a product, maybe at GreenHouseMegaStore (favorite place) that would be very helpful.  Even knowing if I can gravity feed vs. computer would be great.  Does it have to turn on and off or can it just drip slowly?

AJ Drew said:
All of my produce stock is field grow.  But I am gradually moving to containers for seed stock.  Went away last weekend without watering, things were way droopy when I got back.  Five gallon containers, but they are black and suck up the sun.  Thinking about drip irrigation for next year, but have no clue what to consider.

I do not want them to run off the house because that is county water.  Thinking more like 50 gallon drum higher than the containers, so gravity feeds the system.  I have seen drip that uses a computer on the hose outlet, turns it on and off.  Thinking just gravity feed and slow drip would work better.  But again, I have no clue.

If you do drip and can point me to a product, maybe at GreenHouseMegaStore (favorite place) that would be very helpful.  Even knowing if I can gravity feed vs. computer would be great.  Does it have to turn on and off or can it just drip slowly?
I use a drip system, but it's run off the spigot outside, and use a timer to turn it on and off every day. I have seen kits for gravity fed systems on Drip Depot, http://www.dripdepot.com . You might want to shoot them a question, they always been helpful to me and can help spec out what you need. 

Just get you a timer like this and attach it to your rain barrel or other elevated container. On mine, you can program 4 different zones to come on at different times of the day and stay on for however long you like.

Where would be a cheap place to source a rain barrel or container/fixture/what have you for this sort of thing?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

YAMracer754 said:
Where would be a cheap place to source a rain barrel or container/fixture/what have you for this sort of thing?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
You can usually get blue food grade 55 gal drums on Craigs List for around $20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midwestchilehead said:
Just get you a timer like this and attach it to your rain barrel or other elevated container. On mine, you can program 4 different zones to come on at different times of the day and stay on for however long you like.

That is perfect, thank you!  I thought those things were AC cause I usually see them attached to houses.  going to work on this right after season closes.

Back