15 replies to this topic

#1 wogx

wogx

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:10 AM

Hi guys, last year I've crossed Lemon Drop with few other varietes, I've get fruits with seeds from 5 crosses. I sowed them, but only three crosses sprouted.

Lemon Drop x Pasilla Bajio

That cross is very prolific, the plants are much bigger than a Lemon Drop, they've got simmilar size to Ubatuba Cambuchi. There's no purple marking on petals, at the beginning the fruits grow upside, then they fall like LD. I don't know yet what color will they get.

12404799_DSCF5354.JPG

12404800_DSCF5358.JPG

12404801_DSCF5361.JPG

12404802_DSCF5365.JPG

12404803_DSCF5356.JPG

Lemon Drop x "Tabasco" (that was a frutescens, but not a Tabasco, im 100% sure)

Plants are bushy, wider and lower than a LD. The fruits grow upside, I suppose they will be red.

12404810_DSCF5374.JPG

12404807_DSCF5378.JPG

12404806_DSCF5376.JPG

Black Hungarian x Lemon Drop

Plants are annum-like, the fruits are more pointed than BH. I suppose they will turn from black to red during ripening, like Black Hungarian. I've got two phenos of that cross, but i think that one is the result of crossing, and the other is 100% BH.

12404809_DSCF5369.JPG

12404804_DSCF5371.JPG

12404805_DSCF5372.JPG

12404808_DSCF5373.JPG

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

wow!

Impressive

Thank you for sharing.

My own is a Lemon drop x Malawi piquant (Peppadew)

All red and bigger than both parents.

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#3 spicefreak

spicefreak

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

Some cool sounding crosses here, purple Lemondrop would be a good seller if that's how the BH cross turns out and all the others mentioned sound pretty tasty. Can't say I've ever tried a Black Hungarian.

#4 CDNmatt

CDNmatt

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • aka:Matty

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

So I  have a ton of questions but I seem to be abit nervous jumping into threads to ask them..especially the cool ones like this. But wogx mentioned the pods started growing upside first..Is this a common trait for alot of chillis? I ask because I bought several types of seeds from Ebay in early spring..One pack came mixed but was supposed to be Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion mix. Some are bearing fruit now but seem to be growing the same way. Just wondering if any of these would do that or are they probably some other type of chilli?

cdnmatt

cdnmatt- Season 2 has started..Into the Fire I go

#5 sinensis

sinensis

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

it is a common thing for pods to grow upright. often described as growing erect, lol.

some cultivars do it all the time, but even cultivars that aren't known for it will put out an occasional erect pod.

pod size is part of it. harder for cultivars that make large pods to do it just from the size aspect (a pod's weight pulls it downward).

Edited by sinensis, 20 July 2018 - 05:09 PM.

#6 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

So I  have a ton of questions but I seem to be abit nervous jumping into threads to ask them..especially the cool ones like this. But wogx mentioned the pods started growing upside first..Is this a common trait for alot of chillis? I ask because I bought several types of seeds from Ebay in early spring..One pack came mixed but was supposed to be Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion mix. Some are bearing fruit now but seem to be growing the same way. Just wondering if any of these would do that or are they probably some other type of chilli?

cdnmatt

If a few pods are doing that it could be normal for those varieties, but I highly doubt you have anything but an annuum. Ebay is infamous for receiving the wrong seeds. You could post in Pepper ID if you're curious.

#7 Winegums

Winegums

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Interesting crosses! I hope you get some seeds from these. So far my Lemon Drop x Burning Bush Habanero plants haven't produced a single seed bearing pod yet.

cdnmatt

It sounds like you got "ebay reapers" as we call it on Pepper Lovers Community. It's a common scam that originates in Asia and is usually from sites like Amazon, Banggood, Wish, and Ebay. They advertise Thai pepper seeds as super hots or other rare peppers like Aji Charapita. It's always really sad to see and is discouraging to newer growers which bothers me. Almost all Thai peppers will grow erect yet the peppers that they're advertising are usually Pendulum style Chinenses.

Buy from reputable sources or trade seeds with other chili heads who personally grew and dried the seeds. Sites I've used are https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/ and https://thehippyseedcompany.com/ both of them provided excellent service and seeds.

Edited by Winegums, 21 July 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#8 Ghaleon

Ghaleon

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

Try lemon drop with either Bahamian Goat or some type of Scotch Bonnet.

#9 wogx

wogx

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

This year i'm making a lot of crosses, Lemon Drop x Scotch Bonnet is one of them  ;)

#10 Ghaleon

Ghaleon

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

#11 SpeakPolish

SpeakPolish

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

Anyone have any updates

#12 wogx

wogx

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

Lemon Drop x Pasilla Bajio F1 (Unfortunately i wasn't growing a Pasilla this year)g5YEMu9.jpgrQ5w8x2.jpg

It's a nice cross in my opinion, quite hot and tasty

Black Hungarian x Lemon Drop F1

X74RITi.jpg

lEYMkis.jpg

That cross is not so good IMHO, I would say that's just a bit bigger and hotter Black Hungarian.

Lemon Drop x Tabasco was not a cross, it was a typical LD.

A bit of statistics:Sw4IFrQ.png

Next season will be quite interesting, i've got a lot of seeds from crosbreeding, so stay tuned  :) 
lINQLkb.jpg

#13 SpeakPolish

SpeakPolish

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Thats cool that you included the stats like that. Seems like the hybrid fruits definitely had some hybrid vigor

#14 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:20 AM

Please keep us updated!

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#15 rickvm

rickvm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

Great topic!! I’ll be crossing Lemon Drops this season so will definitely be contributing to this posting. Good luck to all your future crosses and hope The F1’s turn out something cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,555 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

Awesome, I did a lemon drop x inca berry I call Aji Inti . Had a pheno in f2 that tasted like sour apple. Been chasing that one since. So far nothing in f3 has tasted the same

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests