• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kratky or DWC? What's your experience and preference?

Just as the topic title implies, I am looking for opinions as to the effectiveness and differences you may have found between the 2 different methods. I am expecting a delivery of some live Bhut Jolokia next week and I will be transplanting them for indoor growing. I have the ability to go kratky or Deepwater culture depending upon the responses I find and other sources I am looking at. If opinions appear to very between the 2 methods I could always do 1 of each.

Feedback is much appreciated

If you have the space do one of each. Id love to see a side by side for growth, overall plant health, and production from the two different systems.

I had a bell Kratky and dwc that I started at the same time.. The Kratky was nice because I could put it in the window and it would add to the decor.

The dwc grew faster, taller and the fruit size between the both systems were very different. The DWC bells were fist size and the kratky were half the size mini bells.

The diameter of the dwc was a nickle and the kratky dime size at the same legnth of time.

I use kratky for my tepins and I keep my bell in dwc. One year later; the stem at base is bigger than a quarter in diameter.

It's my pepper tree. Dwc for results.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Kratky is a gimmick.  It's for permies, survivalists, and experimenters.  If you want to grow great plants fast, it's DWC all day long.

I'd still not choose either over a plant grown in beautiful, healthy soil.  But given a choice of the two, DWC.  RDWC, if you can.

solid7 said:
Kratky is a gimmick.  It's for permies, survivalists, and experimenters.  If you want to grow great plants fast, it's DWC all day long.

I'd still not choose either over a plant grown in beautiful, healthy soil.  But given a choice of the two, DWC.  RDWC, if you can.
Sounds like the words of a Hydro Snob.

skullbiker said:
Sounds like the words of a Hydro Snob.
Sounds like the words of somebody who likes to grow well.

Not sure what your case is, but I actually hate hydro growing. If you want to take time to make accusations, then "soil snob" will do just fine.

Otherwise, from the standpoint of logic, you need a good reason to justify Kratky over other methods. It just isn't as good.

Hydro is great for plants in a rush. I don't think the end product is as good.

Your results may vary.

Ghaleon said:
What is the motivator for growing peppers hydroponically? For marijuana growers, it makes plenty of sense.
I don't know if that's completely fair. Hydro definitely lengthens the growing season. It can also eliminate a whole lot of pest problems. But for me, even indoor grows are done in something closer to soil...

Given a choice of methods, for the same growing conditions, Kratky will almost always - if not always - be inferior. I'm not saying there aren't reasons for using the method, but for me, it would have to be a last resort.

solid7 said:
If it's the ONLY way you can grow, then yeah, the choice is obvious...
Sounds like someone is sad because they could not do it. Someday maybe even someone like you may realize there are many ways to grow plants.

For the record I'm growing hydroponically and indoors because I'm a quadriplegic on a fixed income with no gardening room available outdoors and upon doing it indoors I cannot help the pests and this is hopefully going to eliminate that factor. I have seen great results from both kratky and deep water method and would just looking for some more insight as my plants will be here tomorrow and I just want to be ready.

QuadPepperEater said:
For the record I'm growing hydroponically and indoors because I'm a quadriplegic on a fixed income with no gardening room available outdoors and upon doing it indoors I cannot help the pests and this is hopefully going to eliminate that factor. I have seen great results from both kratky and deep water method and would just looking for some more insight as my plants will be here tomorrow and I just want to be ready.
Check my glog, I do some Kratky plants and I do it well. I just do not like it when someone trys to trash a proven method. I will now stay off of your thread out of common respect.

QuadPepperEater said:

How do you do it? If you can't move ANY of your limbs, I don't get how it's possible. I can see you using speech-to-text stuff to post here but other than that...

Not that it's any of your business Ghaleon how I handle anything as a quadriplegic but I have teenage daughters as well as 3 personal assistant's throughout the day that act as my hands. As for the computer I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Amazon echo paired with Logitech Harmony and Phillips hue to operate everything from television, lights, door, heating and air. I also run a professional wrestling independent company from my wheelchair and how I do it is not for you to get troll.

Attachments

• 18447009_1502777689786795_7670616963906878007_n.jpg
    18447009_1502777689786795_7670616963906878007_n.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 73
No need to get all defensive. I was simply confused. I even googled the name of it to make sure I wasn't confusing the condition with another. When I saw that it said all OR PARTIALLY, I almost expected you to say you have partial use of your arms and that it's enough to get it done.

But yeah...totally trolling..

Jesus, this got convoluted.

QuadPepperEater, I was just saying that it's not the choice method, where choice is a luxury. However, if you rely on others, then the simplicity of Kratky can definitely be one of those factors.

QuadPepperEater said:
Not that it's any of your business Ghaleon how I handle anything as a quadriplegic but I have teenage daughters as well as 3 personal assistant's throughout the day that act as my hands. As for the computer I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Amazon echo paired with Logitech Harmony and Phillips hue to operate everything from television, lights, door, heating and air. I also run a professional wrestling independent company from my wheelchair and how I do it is not for you to get troll.
If you need any seeds or fresh pods until you get started,feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to help any possible way I can.

I use all three methods... Dwc, Kratky, and soil. The reason I explored hydro and indoor grows is due to my lack of a green thumb. I also was fond of having my own food grown indoors while my driveway is two feet deep in snow.

I've been successful in many types of grows but nothing beats homegrown.

It doesn't matter what situation you are in. If you love what you do.. And gardening is very therapeutic.. Not so much my attractive trait but it makes me happy to see results.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Back