25 replies to this topic

#1 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

I've seen a lot of really interesting fruit-pepper combinations recently, like blueberry ghost and peach/mango hab, and even pineapple with anything. But do you have any flavor combinations that you like that aren't all that common (unless it's an unreleased sauce project you'd rather keep under wraps).

Right now I have a reaper-banana sauce in the fridge that I thought about fermenting, but ran out of jars. The other two are, I think, lemondrop pineapple and manzano, hab, pineapple. I'm just doing 16oz batches because I really don't know what I'm doing. It's been fun so far though.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,008 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

Berries work great with chipotle. I would say especially raspberry.

Weird combos that work? Hmm. Well orange works good in BBQ but not weird. Smoked onion is kinda weird as a main ingredient but made a killer sauce by Butterfly Bakery of Vermont. They use maple and smoke a lot.

I've had bananas in sauce (Dirty Dick's Hot Sauce). All kinds of berries, ctirus, whatever. Nothing sticks out as weird.

#3 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

Queen majesty makes a coffee hot sauce that is pretty good. I've also had some house made hot sauce at a bbq joint in texas that had coffee in it and it was also very good.

#4 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:21 AM

Pomegranate and red Aji jelly ,  not weird ,  just different ,  like me. ;)

All my red Ajis, Colorado , Valle de Canca, Bubba.

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#5 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:00 AM

Maybe different is a better way to put it. I just hadn't heard of banana in any other sauces.

And those coffee sauces sound really good and interesting.

#6 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,082 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

I have a sauce running now with ground cherries, peaches, scotch brains and trin seasoning peppers.  Over the years I have used literally all kinds of stuff in my test batches; dragonfruit (really great when ripe - bulks up a sauce nicely), starfruit, jackfruit, papaya, passionfruit, figs, bitter melon, gooseberries, kumquat, lychee, quince, elderberries, persimmon, mullberries, etc.  The only berry I really don't care for in sauce is strawberry as those seeds are a real b!tch to get out of the sauce after blending.  Seedless strawberry jam though - pretty awesome.  

Whenever I come across new stuff at the grocers I always buy a couple to taste them.  And then I'm all like "I wonder what peppers would pair well with this in a hot sauce?"  :D

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#7 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:57 PM

I could definitely see a lot of those going well in a hot sauce! Star fruit and papaya sound like they'd be pretty unique.

I think ground cherries would work really well for something like a pineapple salsa in addition to tomatoes or even tomatillos since that extra sweetness is there.

#8 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:40 AM

Anyone tried soda in a sauce? Was poking around the web and found a recipe that used dr pepper in a wing sauce. Seems like it could work.

#9 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,082 posts
  • (x9)

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

Anyone tried soda in a sauce? Was poking around the web and found a recipe that used dr pepper in a wing sauce. Seems like it could work.

Never even thought of it, but I imagine it could be good.  Especially for a wing sauce.

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#10 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,008 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

Dr. Pepper sauces were popular like 10 years ago. They even went commercial. Cola, cherry cola too.

Real ginger ale works good too, not the fake stuff tho. Ginger beer.

dr_pepper_sauce.jpg

#11 Ashen

Ashen

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:02 AM

Red jalapeno, vanilla and rosemary.

Without sugar, vanilla is actually a crazy intense savoury flavour enhancer.
A wise man never  argues with a skunk, a mule, or a cook.

#12 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,273 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

Weirdest combinations?

Water and salt. Hands down :seeya:
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#13 jesseo715

jesseo715

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

I just made a sugar rush/scotch bonnet/aji limo sauce with lemon, ginger, and garlic. I don't know that I've seen ginger in many sauces.

#14 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

Aji charapita, naranjilla, passion fruit, and citrus.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180814_175034.jpg
  • 20180814_173149.jpg

#15 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:32 PM

Cashew apple, guava, blackberry, tons of citrus flavor and aromatic root veggies, 10 different varieties of dried peppers, and fermented rocoto mash.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180612_103039.jpg
  • 20180624_175731.jpg
  • 20180612_091142.jpg

Edited by Thegreenchilemonster, 04 October 2018 - 10:54 PM.

#16 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,283 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Ive used cherry coke, barqs rootbeer and dr pepper in bbq sauce. They work well especially cooked down

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

#17 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,082 posts
  • (x9)

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

How did those last two sauces turn out GCM?  And are you able to get fresh cashew apple?  I've never seen it around these parts, but have had a liquer made with it.

#18 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

How did those last two sauces turn out GCM?  And are you able to get fresh cashew apple?  I've never seen it around these parts, but have had a liquer made with it.

They both came out very well. The naranjilla/passion fruit combo really compliments aji charapita very well. In Peru they use cocona fruit in combination with aji charapita for salsa. Since I can't get cocona fruit here, I subbed naranjilla, which has a similar flavor profile.

I used marañon pulp(cashew apple pulp), in the other sauce. I'm a big fan of the exotic flavor of the fruit. In my area I can get whole cashew apples frozen, and cashew apple pulp, but not fresh cashew apples.

#19 Rajun Gardener

Rajun Gardener

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,043 posts
  • aka:Rob
  • (x1)

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

I've got persimmon trees dead ripe and could probably fill up 2 wheelbarrows. I looked for a persimmon hot sauce and found this old thread. Does anyone have other recipes I can use?

http://thehotpepper....mmon-hot-sauce/

#20 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,008 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

Find a recipe with peaches and substitute, I image it would come out pretty good. Never had persimmon tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests