• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Primo varieties, partially hydroponic grow

Good day. You may have seen me popping in and out of the forum/discussions, but I prefer to read other people’s posts to learn. Peppers from seeds are a new thing for me. Any who, I picked up seeds from Troy Primeaux a month or so ago and decided to go about doing a winter crop. I planted roughly 30 of his seeds. It will be an indoor grow (inside house and also inside garage depending on ambient air temps). This is going to be a learning experience for me as I have hydroponic experience from other vegetables but not peppers.

So far I have roughly 25 baby peppers sprouted in a germination tray (on heating mat) with a dual type foxfarm mix (plus extra non-nutrient add ins). Troy’s seeds have taken roughly 7 days to sprout (nothing more than moist soil, heat, and germ dome.) Once they develop their 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves, half will be put into soilless medium and go onto a flood table. The other half will go into a their lifetime pot with additional quality soil; not bags.)

The problem is the light comparison between the two style grows. In my (enclosed) garage, I figured I would use my 600W hps/mh HID lighting system as it produces ample heat for the cold south louisiana winter. For indoors, I am trying to get my hands on some of the new diy samsung LED boards that are sold fairly inexpensive that produce the same, if not more useable light with no heat output and considerable less power draw. The hard part with the LEDs is that the opening of the marijuana market nationwide has made these LED boards hard to find. Sure you can buy pre-made units but 600w LED/HID comparison is 1000+$. I have a chinese crap blurple LED unit right now. Manufacturer claims it to put out 500w. My wattmeter shows that the single LED fixture averages 280w. Add that with some fluorescent fixtures hanging with it and I am at roughly 27k lux. There is ample spacing between light and plants to prevent burning from near 100% sunlight equivalent.

No forum worthy pictures as of right now but hopefully once they get separated out and started I can continue with this GLOG and updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very interested in your grow. I'm starting many more plants than usual but my purpose is to have around 100 plants ready to hit the ground running when transplanted into the hay bale garden mid-March.

I have three small areas to work with. The smallest has fluorescent. A slightly larger area has a 1000W LED with switches for bloom, veg and both. It uses very little electricity. Only 125 with the veg lights and around 180 with all lights running. The largest area has a 1200W LED on a light mover.

Back