• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sinensis

sinensis

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:45 PM

i've got a chili cookoff coming up with some friends. we're competing against each other, and there will be some judges.

i've never done one of these before. i'm thinking to bring two pots. one of them on the mild side, and another one at whatever heat level i think tastes best. apparently this is permitted lol

do you guys have tips for me or a favorite recipe?

i'm looking at these as a starting point. kenji usually doesn't steer me wrong:

https://www.seriouse...ili-recipe.html

https://www.seriouse...-con-carne.html

i'll probably be using beans.

also, is there an online shop (or member-vendor here) that has a good assortment of quality, whole, dried chilis? or maybe powders? and not like crazy large bulk quantity preferably?

i have a lot of peppers in the freezer, but they're all superhots, and none of them are dried. i think dried peppers are essential to get the flavor right here.

thanks

Edited by sinensis, 31 October 2018 - 12:46 PM.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 11,067 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Here's some championship winning recipes

https://www.casichili.net/recipes.html

Click on "fun" then click on "recipes" scroll down to chili recipes.

#3 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

Depends if you want Authentic or popular Morphed versions.

#4 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,540 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

There's no such thing as authentic, chili has always had varied recipes. There is "Texas Chili" which is specific (no beans etc.) but authenticity has never really been a thing, there's green chile, beef chili, chili with beans, different meats, corn, pasta, potato, whatever!!!! It's it's not sanctioned, and they do not specify Texas chili, do your thing!

#5 Grass Snake

Grass Snake

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

Just heard of Dr. Pepper chili the other day and found this recipe. It looks legit.
https://spicysouther...r-pepper-chili/

Edited by Grass Snake, 31 October 2018 - 01:19 PM.

Personally, I'll eat a pig's ass if they cook it right.   -CB4-

#6 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

https://www.everyday...-a-bowl-of-red/

#7 sinensis

sinensis

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

Here's some championship winning recipes

https://www.casichili.net/recipes.html

Click on "fun" then click on "recipes" scroll down to chili recipes.

interesting, but seems like they all use proprietary spice blends. fort worth lite? mexene? cowton lite?

i bet i could find all of those at a HEB or something, but i don't live by one even if i wanted to use pre-made blends 

#8 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

The most important part for me is using lean ground chuck mixed with ground pork. I prefer 85% or better lean chuck with regular ground pork.

If its gunna have beans i really prefer black beans. Lentils are surprisingly good in place of beans too.

If you want to try something unusual add a little heavy cream or few tbs of Campbells mushroom soup to a test pot. It really changes the "mouth feel" of a bowl of chili.

#9 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,540 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

The grind is important too! Don't use packaged ground beef, get it "chili grind". The ground beef at the market will be more like sloppy joe than chili.

#10 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,540 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

My favorite part about a good chili - the MOST important thing, is the DEPTH of flavors. This can be accomplished with different types of chilies especially Mexican, like guajillo and ancho, things like chocolate, or coffee, beer, etc., spices, aromatics.

#11 Grass Snake

Grass Snake

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

will be more like sloppy joe than chili.

That's how I feel about making chili with no beans

Personally, I'll eat a pig's ass if they cook it right.   -CB4-

#12 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,540 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

Yeah that stuff is called hot dog chili when it's the regular grind... goes great on dogs! No so much in a bowl.

#13 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,109 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:36 PM

Best place to start imo is with the pros:  ICS

Have competed multiple times in ICS events.  The people and events are great - very similar to a bbq competition.  If you're going two entries I'd encourage you to cook a "crowd pleaser" entry and then a "senensis pleaser" entry.  Make something you think everyone will like, then make something exclusively for you.

The best part of most contests are the precious hours before cooking starts and after turn in - the times when you're walking around talking to the other competitors & sharing info/techniques, etc. 

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#14 midwestchilehead

midwestchilehead

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:33 AM

I have a few chile powders on my site, www.midwestchileheads.com available starting at 1 oz quantities.

Calvin's 2.0 powder, New Mexico chile seeds, other varieties and some superhots! Grow your own and taste the difference!
http://www.midwestchileheads.com

#15 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:59 AM

Yeah that stuff is called hot dog chili when it's the regular grind... goes great on dogs! No so much in a bowl.

Cincinatti Chili, that's what goes on hot dogs...perhaps seenyor Scoveel would agree.....

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

#16 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:13 AM

One trick that a lot of pros use is adding raisins. It adds depth and a visually pleasing sheen to it. You don't need to leave them in it though if you don't want to. Just steeping them in a mash bag during the cook will work great. You can also use dates.

#17 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,540 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

Cincinatti Chili, that's what goes on hot dogs...perhaps seenyor Scoveel would agree.....

or spaghetti!

#18 nmlarson

nmlarson

Hot

• Extreme
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

Does it have to be a "red" chili?  I've won three cook offs with a white chicken chili recipe.  Granted, none were professional competitions, but they were all judged by some very discerning eaters.  It's sooooo good.  It's a Cooks Illustrated recipe from Kenji's days there, however, I can't definitively say it's one of his, as I can't locate that print issue.  It has Anaheims, Poblanos and Jalapenos, so has some great flavors.

https://www.cooksill...e-chicken-chili

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.        Robert Heinlein

#19 sinensis

sinensis

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:38 PM

Best place to start imo is with the pros:  ICS

Have competed multiple times in ICS events.  The people and events are great - very similar to a bbq competition.  If you're going two entries I'd encourage you to cook a "crowd pleaser" entry and then a "senensis pleaser" entry.  Make something you think everyone will like, then make something exclusively for you.

The best part of most contests are the precious hours before cooking starts and after turn in - the times when you're walking around talking to the other competitors & sharing info/techniques, etc. 

i was already planning on doing that with heat level, but you're right, i'll just be more creative in general with my sinensis pot. :)

Does it have to be a "red" chili?  I've won three cook offs with a white chicken chili recipe.  Granted, none were professional competitions, but they were all judged by some very discerning eaters.  It's sooooo good.  It's a Cooks Illustrated recipe from Kenji's days there, however, I can't definitively say it's one of his, as I can't locate that print issue.  It has Anaheims, Poblanos and Jalapenos, so has some great flavors.

https://www.cooksill...e-chicken-chili

it does not, but somehow i think that for these guys white chili won't stand on even ground. i wanna win this thing lol

it sounds really good though. hopefully i can give it a try before the cookoff.

#20 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:19 PM

Some of the best chili i ever made was pork chili verde but i can see how it would have problems in a cook off. Lots of people cant get past the green baby vomit color. :D Flavor though is off the charts with grilled country style ribs cut into cubes. Really lean pork belly/side works well too.

DmItkiv.jpg

yfrWZlc.jpg

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 01 November 2018 - 01:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cooking, competition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests