•  

Photo

Anyone Know How To Start Plants Inside During The Fall/Winter?

Starting hot peppers Seeds Germinating seeds Germinating in the winter Seed germination indoors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Palmetto

Palmetto

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

Does anyone here know how to germinate seeds indoor when it is cool outside? I normally germinate my seeds by putting them into a coffee filter and into a baggy and putting it on the window. But, it won't work when it is cool outside. I tried the same method but using a heat mat and it almost seemed it was too hot for the seeds. How do I germinate seeds indoors? I am starting super early this year.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 chelicerae

chelicerae

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

I've used two clay plant pot saucers of the same size put together with wet coffe filter and seeds taped to the "ceiling", placed on a heatmat; it's worked rather well. Reason for taping the filter to the ceiling of the upper saucer is that humidity goes up when on a heatmat; when I tried a plastic bag with coffee filters on a heatmat the uppermost part would remain moist and the rest dried out.

Edited by chelicerae, 05 November 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#3 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,572 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:45 PM

just towel and baggy left in the kitchen, nothing complicated. I tape the bag to a cupboard door.

#4 CDNmatt

CDNmatt

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • aka:Matty

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

Does anyone here know how to germinate seeds indoor when it is cool outside? I normally germinate my seeds by putting them into a coffee filter and into a baggy and putting it on the window. But, it won't work when it is cool outside. I tried the same method but using a heat mat and it almost seemed it was too hot for the seeds. How do I germinate seeds indoors? I am starting super early this year.

Yeah as dragon mentioned it does not have to be anything complex...you can probably have 100 people tell you how they germ seeds and all would be almost as good as the other methods.

I tried soaking my seeds last season overnight....one solution I used a peroxide/water mix, another was a chamomile tea/water and finally the last one was a straight water soak. I believe the first 2 worked better but who knows it as it was on such a small scale. After I just dropped them into starter pots with soil and placed on the heat mat with humidity dome on the trays, no issues with drying out and had alot of success as far as seedlings went.

cdnmatt- Season 2 has started..Into the Fire I go

#5 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,816 posts
  • aka:moruga welder

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

cheap propagator from wales-mart , bammo works great  ,, :party:

#6 juanitos

juanitos

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:18 AM

you can put a towel on top of the heatmat to help the seeds not get too hot.

juanitospeppers.com - seeds, plants, fresh peppers

#7 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,497 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:09 AM

I will use a damp paper towel in a sandwich bag on the top of the fridge - plenty warm enough to germ but not too hot like a heat mat can get.  Your coffee filter would work that way too - seeds don't need light to germinate - just water and warmth.

When I use the heating mat I usually use peat or coco coir plugs in the little dome things you can find in every home improvement store or online.  My mat tends to run hot, so I can it sandwiched between a couple layers of cardboard.  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#8 Palmetto

Palmetto

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

Thank you for your replies! I have read them all and will try them out! Thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Starting hot peppers, Seeds, Germinating seeds, Germinating in the winter, Seed germination indoors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests