• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog - Off-Season Season 2018/19

Thought I'd post a few pics of what I have going on indoors this off-season.  I used to do a winter indoor grow about every season, but this will be my first in a couple years now.  I went a bit over-board with the number of plants, as usual, but I've culled a few already and I have expansion room if needed.

I'm using a handy little extra walk-in closet to start things out. Keeps temp well and makes it easy to chill and work with the plants.

20181008_PWalk30.jpg

Most everything's potted up into 1g Boxer Browns now.  Here's a few of this season's players.

Baha Goat
_20181119_BGoat.jpg

Fatalii
_20181119_Fatty.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White - topped it early on as it was already wanting to branch like crazy
_20181119_BJWhiteTopped.jpg

Butch T
_20181119_TScorpBT2.jpg

Kathumby starting to bud up
_20181119_Kathumby.jpg

And this guy is a 7 Pot White that sprouted late right up against another plant, so I yanked it out.  It had what seemed like only about 2mm of root still attached, but I stuck it in Kratky and it not only survived but seems fairly happy.
_20181119_7PW_KratkyTop.jpg

CD

CaneDog said:

Thanks, it works pretty well for something I just slapped together.  Plus when I'm not starting seeds it serves other useful purposes!
:cheers:

Man though, this is definitely the wrong part of the season to misplace your thermostat...

I've just been keeping the whole garage 80 lol

Time for a update on the CGN21500 + 7 Pot White wedge graft. I got on it pretty hard with the pruners twice over the past while trying to get it into a decent shape with the two different varieties complementing one another instead of being just a big mess.  The second time I cut it back it showed some shock - it's still showing some signs in the old leaves, but it seems happy once again and the 7PW scion is putting on some nice buds.  They may not be visible in the pic, but the CGN stock is starting to bud a little too, just the buds aren't nearly as big and stout.

Somethings I find interesting is the laterals on the 7PW scion.  Normally, these are green, and they started out green, but slowly the dark color of the CGN is creeping out onto the 7PW laterals.

Enough talk, here are the pics.
20190121%20Graft1.jpg

Here you can see the "color" creeping out the laterals, left and right front, which started out 100% green.
20190121%20Graft2.jpg

Closer look at same
20190121%20Graft3.jpg

Close up of graft.  I've been working to open up the center of the plant and get new growth from as close as possible to the graft area.
20190121%20Graft4.jpg

Top view.  Shows a little residual from the pruning shock.
20190121%20Graft5.jpg

Hopefully the CGN will kick into gear with the flower production and both the stock and scion will be setting pods soon.

Very cool. That is odd about the laterals darkening. Nice lattice structure anyway. You trying to experiment with that theory of the graft area budding to produce a pod with hybridized DNA?

Mr. West said:
Very cool. That is odd about the laterals darkening. Nice lattice structure anyway. You trying to experiment with that theory of the graft area budding to produce a pod with hybridized DNA?

That wasn't a primary focus, but since stc3248's comments on point I've been thinking about it.  Seeing the color moving up into the scion reminded me of that too. And there's a lot of growth near the graft.  No clue how near it would have to be to produce that effect though.  Would be super cool if it did.

internationalfish said:
Man, that Scotch Brain and the Goats (great potential band name, too) are looking great!

Can't wait to see the peach bhuts mature. That should be a really cool (hot) pepper.

I'm not sure there are any of the pods I'm looking forward to more than than the Peach Bhuts.  I have a PB Wicked Mike's going too, but I cut it back to Bonchi so no pods from that anytime soon.

Scotch Brain and the Goats :metal:

CDNmatt said:
Those pics are absolutely fantastic Red  :clap: :clap: ...I am also just amazed at the grafting you do and its something I really want to try  later this summer with some of my tomatos. Be prepared to have your brain picked sir :thumbsup:
I agree with matty, your graft was freakin flawless bro :clap:
I may actually try it this year

Back