• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Azamax tested positive for Permethrin

I have been reading some articles from this year where azamax, a favorite among organic growers, was tested and found to contain permethrin. I was about to pull the trigger on a $60 pint of this stuff to use in my garden until I stumbled on these articles. Should I be concerned with this? I limit myself to organic pest control like neem oil mainly because the kids play in the garden, and I also dont want to ingest possible harmful chemicals when I apply it (without a hazmat suit) and eat what I grow.

Azamax is labelled to be safe to use even to the day of harvest. This statement would seem like deceptive and negligent advertising on their part! Has there been on followup reply to this from the company that manufactures this product? 

I am sorry if this has this been discussed here already, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/Pesticides/Documents/2018Advisories/AzaMax.pdf

http://agrisciencelabs.com/compliance/azamax/ 

Cheers
Abel

0.5% spinosad solution will have 100% mortality against thrips
Neem is good for everything else

However since mulching with wood chips I have not had any pest problems, it provides a habitat for many predators including garden spiders

The problem with a lot of pest treatments is that they don't absolutely kill the pest but they will stop them eating or disturbing the reproductive cycle. Which means that you'll need to keep on top of it for around a month until they're all gone.

If you plant in a polyculture you're much less likely to encounter pests. You should aim to set up your garden in a way that promotes a diverse ecosystem and this will mean that you won't run into issues. It's fairly rare to see pest problems in nature, but common in people's gardens. They are spraying their perfect lawn with all their different solutions and suddenly their lemon tree has a massive ant problem

A few months ago, there was some collard greens planted in the same container as my pepper plants. I inspected them and they were absolutely infested with aphids. However when I inspected all my plants I could see no aphid damage on my plants. Even the collard greens did not appear to have any aphid damage. I just left them alone and within a few days they had all gone

Back