dehydrators Pepper Ppl: is this dehydrator rad???

The footprint is the same. You could get the bigger just in case. It also has wheels and is cabinet height, so, you could throw a piece of butcher block on top and use it as a portable kitchen island, or put another appliance on top. Or if in the garage, the wheels would be handy.

I'm a see how much discretionary bullshit cash I have lying around after I bills, and head out to Cabela's either on Saturday or Tuesday

Well, i bought the Cabela's 80l commercial dehydrator. It is, in fact, rad. Bigger one might have been helpful, but really, i get tired of chopping and scooping seeds by the time i fill up the 80l, so i think it worked out. I dehydrated a lot of pods since i got it, super happy i got it.

Only gripe is, it tends to let the temperature drift a little bit, in practice, it hasn't been a problem. I'm mystified by the factors that make some chiles dry up rapidly, and others stay smushy for longer. Sure, thicker walls, total size, freshness all come into play... But I've had chiles from the same plant, same size, picked same day where some dry right up, and others take forever.

I've also found it's helpful to pick and dehydrate same day. Ultimate freshness, and less chance of smushiness.

Bicycle808 said:
Only gripe is, it tends to let the temperature drift a little bit, in practice, it hasn't been a problem. I'm mystified by the factors that make some chiles dry up rapidly, and others stay smushy for longer. Sure, thicker walls, total size, freshness all come into play... But I've had chiles from the same plant, same size, picked same day where some dry right up, and others take forever.
The only thing I can think of is heat distribution/movement? If pods in the same area are always problematic that's a possible answer. If one time it's low & in the back middle but another is high and left and a third is dead center this theory obviously off the mark.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
The only thing I can think of is heat distribution/movement? If pods in the same area are always problematic that's a possible answer. If one time it's low & in the back middle but another is high and left and a third is dead center this theory obviously off the mark.
I developed the same theory, late in the game, and my observations on the last few batches were inconclusive, but i suspect that if "dead spots" were a factor, then the hydrator has several dead spots...

Is it weird or lazy to develop preferences for survivors chiles based on doing up really quick? NagaBrains dried up much more quickly than the Brainstrains or the Nagas, or really any other superhots

I have a hack (theory) but it's not been proven if someone wants to test.

Put a few of these https://amzn.to/2sGIo4t in your dehydrator. They are BPA-free and food and heat safe. My theory is the circulation of moist air causes inconsistencies and these help collect moisture that is "hanging around." It couldn't hurt to try a few in the corners.

Back