• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flowers without pollen

Hi guys, I'm writing to you because of a problem with some of my chili plants.

I'm growing cayenne pepper plants that have started to bloom these days. Plants look healthy, but flowers do not contain pollen. I tried at different times to lightly tap the flowers by placing a piece of black paper underneath it, but nothing.
I grew them from the seeds I planted 2 months ago (I bought the seeds from a pepper seed seller), and about a month ago I supplied a small amount of universal fertilizer 10-10-10. The temperature at which the plants are exposed can vary between 20°C and 32°C

Is it normal that the first flowers do not contain pollen, or is it a problem of humidity / temperature?

DontPanic said:
If the plant looks healthy, I'd just give it more time.

If the seeds only hit the dirt 2 months ago, it's probably still a young plant.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
pods will show up after the flower shrivels up and turns brown. give it time to do it`s thing.  :cheers:

Ah perfect, so i just have to wait! thank you for your opinion   :party:

early flowers often don't have pollen, if there are other pepper plants with pollen, sometimes you'll get some pods.  If there is no source of pepper pollen, you won't get any pods and those flowers will just drop off.  It just happens, keep growing and eventually you'll get some.

I have exactly this problem with my rocoto puno amarillo. I hate already that plant. It's soon year old still no pollen on the stamens. The plant is big enough and healty. Any advice how to proceed? I now moved the plant to outside if it helps. Indoors may be too hot. I'm trying to cross this variety with another and I need those pollens. I remember reading another forum that someone else had same problem with another rocoto. The flowers did not make berries. But the forum is now gone and I don't know the reason for it. 

Karpasruuti said:
I have exactly this problem with my rocoto puno amarillo. I hate already that plant. It's soon year old still no pollen on the stamens. The plant is big enough and healty. Any advice how to proceed? I now moved the plant to outside if it helps. Indoors may be too hot. I'm trying to cross this variety with another and I need those pollens. I remember reading another forum that someone else had same problem with another rocoto. The flowers did not make berries. But the forum is now gone and I don't know the reason for it. 

This is my first season growing the Puno Amarillo.  They've only just started to flower so I'm not familiar with any idiosyncrasies that particular variety may have as to conditions for pod set, but in general I think you're doing the right thing moving it outside.  Most rocotos are happier and set fruit better with slightly cooler temperatures and healthy day/night variations.

I'm also planning to cross this variety.  It has a very intriguing pod shape.  :)

Good luck!

CaneDog said:

This is my first season growing the Puno Amarillo.  They've only just started to flower so I'm not familiar with any idiosyncrasies that particular variety may have as to conditions for pod set, but in general I think you're doing the right thing moving it outside.  Most rocotos are happier and set fruit better with slightly cooler temperatures and healthy day/night variations.

I'm also planning to cross this variety.  It has a very intriguing pod shape.  :)

Good luck!
Let see... There now very hot in the Finland. >30°C at day and at night 18-22°C. There is not always that hot :D And I just checked still no pollen. I check everyday if there is going to happen something.

Its very tasty rocoto variety. I had only one pod. The pungency is moderate. Thick walled flesh, soft, very juicy, a bit sweetness to it and taste like rocoto. I don't remember extactly flavors.

Edit. I checked again and more carefully. I saw some yellow dust on the flowers and I got it some of tip of the cotton bud. Now crossing my finger.

jonassx100 said:
mine dropping flower from last 2 months ,, thanks to 45C
What variety?

My rocoto dropped all the flowers and not doing anymore flowers but it still looking healthy and strong. I did not get the pollen trying to cross wild chili with this. It may still happen but in this year my hopes are going to perish probably. I had to trim eximium because it was 3 meter long and may not do flowers anymore for some time. 

Back