#1 Bakemeacake

Bakemeacake

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:39 PM

Hi guys,

I have some questions regarding the lighting for my pepper seedlings. To start, let me say this is my first year gardening and I went about a few things the wrong way and am now trying to correct those mistakes as I learn more. I initially got some bad info that I could grow my seeds in a window sill. After I started doing this, I noticed that the seedlings were getting very "leggy" and were stretching for the light (some fell over and died), even though they were in a very sunny, south-facing window. Now, I have purchased two 30 watt LED grow lights from Amazon (link) and have arranged them around the seedlings in such a way that is shown in the attached images. 

I leave the lights on for 12 hours a day and water enough to keep them moist. The seedlings are still very thin as of right now, but it has only been a few days since I started using the lights. Will this setup be sufficient to grow them until I transplant outside, or will I need to make adjustments?

growlights.jpg

growlights2.jpg

leggyjap.jpg

#2 solid7

solid7

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts
  • aka:Solid7

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

I have a 400W and a 600W LED with UV spectrum, that I use(d) for my indoor plants, all the way from seedling.  That gets me all the way up to pod stage, for about 6 plants.

I have never used anything like what you have going, but it seems to me that it's highly underpowered.  Maybe someone else knows better.

Dave2000 - "Problem is, you happened upon the REAL DEAL."

#3 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

This should be posted in "Grow Tech" where: Discuss lights, heaters, irrigation systems, greenhouses, and DIY solutions. Show off your inventions!

Edited by willard3, 02 August 2019 - 06:59 AM.

Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#4 SuburbanFowl

SuburbanFowl

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

The seedlings look leggy but that could be because they have been on the windowsill. Try waiting a few days and seeing what happens.

You could add supplemental lighting with some 23W CFL lights which will help a lot. I grew a cayenne to the point where it had buds and was forking using only two 23w warm white CFLS.

You could also add a small fan that blows on the plants periodically to strengthen the stems.

Btw that's such a cute way of staking your seedlings.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

#5 Bakemeacake

Bakemeacake

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

The seedlings look leggy but that could be because they have been on the windowsill. Try waiting a few days and seeing what happens.

You could add supplemental lighting with some 23W CFL lights which will help a lot. I grew a cayenne to the point where it had buds and was forking using only two 23w warm white CFLS.

You could also add a small fan that blows on the plants periodically to strengthen the stems.

Btw that's such a cute way of staking your seedlings.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, it's been a little while now and they're still pretty thin (just had to stake another one before posting this). I just moved them into a closet and will be giving them 24/7 light. Hopefully that makes a difference. I had only been doing 12 hours because I didn't want the lights going in the Florida room at night as to perhaps make the neighbors think I'm growing something other than peppers. That's a good point about the fan. I had one on them, but now I'll need to stick one in the closet with them.

#6 Bakemeacake

Bakemeacake

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

This should be posted in "Grow Tech" where: Discuss lights, heaters, irrigation systems, greenhouses, and DIY solutions. Show off your inventions!

Oops... you're right. Maybe a mod could move it to the appropriate section?

#7 podz

podz

Hot

• Extreme
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

LED lamp advertised wattage is quite often complete and utter bullshit. Quite many manufacturers, if a LED strip pulls 45 watts from the wall but puts out the equivalent (in their not so humble opinion) of a 400 watt HPS lamp then they label the LED as being 400 watts instead of 45 watts.

2 x 30 "true" watts LED strips is easily enough to raise 5 seedlings up until plant out.

I have 4 x 45 watt LED rigs with 6400k color. That's 180 watts in total. That was enough to start about 75 seedlings and finally raise 24 plants up until plant out time. I did have to sell about 50 seedlings along the way because they were growing so well under the lamps that I needed to reduce the number of plants down to 24. I ran the lights 24-7 and after 4 weeks most of them were bushy, forking, about a foot tall and already flowering. See the beginning of my glog for details.

#8 Powelly

Powelly

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

3000 lumens is enough, I know this because I just grew a load of seedlings under it. 34w of T8 fluoro tubes at 4000k.

I used a box covered in aluminium foil though, so the light was reflected inside. I noticed you don't have that, so it's something you might want to consider. They are pretty easy to build and just require basic knowledge of electrical engineering

Get the compost/EWC dialled in and you won't have many questions that need an answer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grow lights, seedling, peppers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests