• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Varieties and suggested uses

Hi all. I'm reasonably new to the scene and was wanting to know if anyone knows of any site or documentation suggesting uses with certain varieties such as those chillis best used for powders, sauces etc.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum...

You're from Mildura? The same Mildura from Down Under? My dad brought me a 6'er back from the Mildura Brewing Company about 2 years ago...that was some good stuff! If you dig brews...take a trip to the states (California) and try some of the best Micro-brews on the planet...

I guess to answer your question... is that you can find most of the info you are looking for on this site...and I would add that any chiles (depending on you heat tolerance) can be used for a variety of applications...some of the "Mega-hots" I only really use dried (while some folks use them for salsas and sauces) to add to dishes to give them a varying level of heat...its all in your preference...

Some folks love Fatalii's fresh...but they are hard on most...I use them in a steak seasoning that I whipped up and some of the exotic habs I generally use for salsas if I have enough other ingredients to offset or accentuate them-

Good luck and feel free to ask/post questions or concerns...but my advice is to go with what you like...and if it is mild...use in abundance ...or superhot then use sparingly...

JR

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas

here are two different mixes I use....

Chili Powder (for making chile) Arbol, Cascabel, and Pasillo (equal parts)

Dry rub - Orange Thai, Tabasco, and Orange Hab (equal parts)

Dehydrating peppers is an easy way to preserve them and then you can powder them. Experiment with diffent mixtures to see what you like.

Few combinations have become favorites for Powders..

Pimenta De Padron and Serrano mix..Lovely mild heat but great with anything.

Fresno and 7pot works really well as a powder 50/50 combination.

Pimenta de neyde fantastic on its own as is Fatalii :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I love my sauces hot. Especially the combination of Red Savinas and Naga Morich varieties. Haven't started on the rubs as yet but willing to learn more on this. Oh and hes, that is the Mildura from Down Under. It is a good brew.

if I read your question right, you're looking for some site that tells you which chiles are good for certain purposes ? like drying,powder,sauce,which type of food,etc...

check this website out, they did a pretty good job breaking chiles down into categories, not every chile is listed but theres plenty there to choose from. they have a very good search engine!

www.chileplants.com

chilehunter said:
if I read your question right, you're looking for some site that tells you which chiles are good for certain purposes ? like drying,powder,sauce,which type of food,etc...

check this website out, they did a pretty good job breaking chiles down into categories, not every chile is listed but theres plenty there to choose from. they have a very good search engine!

www.chileplants.com

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??????????

GET OFF OF CHILEHUNTER'S COMPUTER!!!!!!

*Geez! He must have had a one night stand or something with a really nice girl (;))and left his computer logged in while he was passed out drunk (having characteristically unpleasant dreams;))*

Sorry! Had to set the tone.

MY ABSOLUTE GO TO, CAN'T DO WITHOUT POWDER IS.......

RIPE JALAPENO POWDER

No joke. I love the flavor of a good paprika, and the heat of a 7 pot, but the best flavor and heat is the mild mannered jalapeno. And Chilehunter really is normally an ass.;)

Welcome to the forum mate :) I haven't tried many powders but my favourite so far would have to be the 7-pot for flavour and heat, just awesome in spag bog.
Oh yeah if you need any seeds contact Neil from The Hippy Seed Company, he is a fellow aussie and a great no nonsense kind of guy, here is his link. http://www.thehotpepper.com/member.php?u=2079

Novacastrian said:
Oh yeah if you need any seeds contact Neil from The Hippy Seed Company, he is a fellow aussie and a great no nonsense kind of guy, here is his link. http://www.thehotpepper.com/member.php?u=2079

Are you getting a bloody commission or something.....:lol: and if so, I WANT IN!!!!!!!:D

Welcome to the site from Newcastle mate.

I really like the choc hab powder. Good heat and flavour when using it in cooking...

Back