• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponic Nutrient Question

I am new to Hydroponic growing and need help!
I am using a five gallon container and the nutrient solution I am using (Advanced Nutrients Grow 1-0-4) says: Use 1mL per liter. If my math is correct 5 gallons equals 18.92 liters. Based on that calculation it would be 8 cups of solution? This does not sound right.
Also for you experienced growers out there, what nutrient solution would you recommend?
Thanks in advance everyone!

Lol. The metric system wrecks you 'mericans every time.

1 metric cup = 250 mls

Therefore 8 cups would be 2 litres, or 2000 mls.

Your math is definitely wrong for your application.

If the directions say 1 ml per litre, and you want to make about 18 litres then you need about 18 mls. This is close to a tablespoon.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

bob65 said:
Lol. The metric system wrecks you 'mericans every time.

The issue is our measuring containers do not have metric scales on them to conversion factor, like this...

measurment-conversions-for-recipes-486768_FINAL-5b88683dc9e77c0025b65c8c.png

bob65 said:
If the directions say 1 ml per litre, and you want to make about 18 litres then you need about 18 mls. This is close to a tablespoon.
Now OP has to find litre/milliliter to pints/quarts/gallons conversion charts!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Now OP has to find litre/milliliter to pints/quarts/gallons conversion charts!

The OP already has done that if he knows that 5 gallon equals 18.92 litres.

I was only pointing out that the quantity he is looking for is closer to a tablespoon than the 1/2 gallon that he calculated.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I would recommend buying a tds/ec meter. Fertilizer companies usually put the highest concentration that plants will take on their label. Peppers prefer being down in the 5-600 ppm concentration. Most label recommendations will put you well over 1000 ppm. Fertilizer companies are in the business of selling product. Same reason salad dressing is sold without reducer spouts. The more you use the more $ they make.

Back