• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwintering Questions

I'm thinking about over wintering a couple of my pepper plants. I don't have a lot of space or lighting, After looking around I saw where someone said take a few cuttings off of your pepper plants and root them, place in small containers and I can just put them under my t5 lights until I can get them outside again.

My original plan was just to start everything from seed again next year. However, even after starting in March this year, my tobasco plant is loaded with peppers that'll never ripen, and Less than a handful of my datil ripened.

Would this strategy work? We're slated to hit the 30's this weekend. Otherwise, I'll just start from seed again next year, maybe start in February.

If the lighting isn't adequate for overwintering a plant can I please get some recommendations, I can set up a proper overwintering stain in my basement for next season.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cut back the plants you want,
then unpot, cut back the roots,
repot into a smaller container, 1-2 gal
put indoors under your lights.

Easier than taking cuttings,
rooting and then growing them into plants.

You will also get a jump on growth and fruiting next
season.

If it gets too large under the light,
cut it back again.

Lots of videos online showing how to cut back
for over wintering.

Good Luck.

pr3ttibrwneyez said:
I'm thinking about over wintering a couple of my pepper plants. I don't have a lot of space or lighting, After looking around I saw where someone said take a few cuttings off of your pepper plants and root them, place in small containers and I can just put them under my t5 lights until I can get them outside again.

My original plan was just to start everything from seed again next year. However, even after starting in March this year, my tobasco plant is loaded with peppers that'll never ripen, and Less than a handful of my datil ripened.

Would this strategy work? We're slated to hit the 30's this weekend. Otherwise, I'll just start from seed again next year, maybe start in February.

If the lighting isn't adequate for overwintering a plant can I please get some recommendations, I can set up a proper overwintering stain in my basement for next season.

Thanks.

Welcome to THP!  :)

You don't have to take cuttings off your plants and grow those out.  You can dig them up, trim them and overwinter them in your house just like regular house plants.  Search the interwebs for 'overwintering pepper plants'  :)

Also most of the hotter varieties of pepper plants grown from seed would need to be sown around late jan/early feb to fruit in late aug/sept.

One thing that helps me is air layering. It's most likely too late this year, but it's a way to clone while the branch is still on the plant. It's pretty neat and might help you save your keepers next year.

But yes...I agree. The easiest thing now would be to dig them up and prune.

Good luck!

HungryJack said:
Cut back the plants you want,
then unpot, cut back the roots,
repot into a smaller container, 1-2 gal
put indoors under your lights.
Easier than taking cuttings,
rooting and then growing them into plants.
You will also get a jump on growth and fruiting next
season.

If it gets too large under the light,
cut it back again.

Lots of videos online showing how to cut back
for over wintering.

Good Luck.

Thanks, I was worried just using my t5 lights wouldn't give enough energy for a whole plant. I think I'm going to try this!

SmokenFire said:

Welcome to THP!  :)

You don't have to take cuttings off your plants and grow those out.  You can dig them up, trim them and overwinter them in your house just like regular house plants.  Search the interwebs for 'overwintering pepper plants'  :)

Also most of the hotter varieties of pepper plants grown from seed would need to be sown around late jan/early feb to fruit in late aug/sept.

Thanks a lot! I only joined this site to help me plant and care for a few pepper plants from seeds i inherited. Next thing I know, I have a ph meter, all kinds of fermenting doodads that I haven't tried yet, tried my hand at making hot sauce and ordered seeds from justin that I'd never heard of and now have 25 hot pepper seeds on my short list and am scrambling to figure out where to plant them next season!! [emoji30]

Im so addicted now! That's good advice for the new varieties I'll start in Jan. Early Feb and I'll start getting better lights and things for overwintering next season, I'm only going to try and keep 4 or 5 this winter.

Another question is, when i start seedlings, i usually have my t5's set for 16 on and 8 off.. would this be the same for keeping the other plants alive?

Bhuter said:
One thing that helps me is air layering. It's most likely too late this year, but it's a way to clone while the branch is still on the plant. It's pretty neat and might help you save your keepers next year.

But yes...I agree. The easiest thing now would be to dig them up and prune.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll start looking into this for next season

pr3ttibrwneyez said:
Thanks, I was worried just using my t5 lights wouldn't give enough energy for a whole plant. I think I'm going to try this!

The above ground part will be the size of a medium size bonsai plant
when you cut it back.  
Don't need much light to keep alive.
With T5 you will probably have to prune it mid winter again,
which is fine to do.

Come spring, put it outside, 
give it some fertilizer 
and watch it explode with growth.

Back