• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo's 2020 Grow Log

Well after looking through lots of glog's, I decided to try doing one myself.  Hopefully I can keep it updated regularly and improve with photo quality along the way.
That being said------I"M LATE!  Yep, this first post is 10 days late.  Meaning I started some seeds 10 days ago.  I guess my excuse is that we've been trying to get ready for the holidays here.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get on the 2019 seed train and when B train showed up here, I was able to get some seeds that I probably wouldn't have thought of getting on my own.

It's a little early to start my main grow but I wanted to get something going so I chose to start some wild seeds that I got off the train.  Some of these came from Canedog.  (The Cap. 524 and 1445 and Cumari Pollux I bought)

So on December 13th I started 8 varieties of seed.  8 in rock wool and 8 of the same varieties in seed starting mix.
Here is a pic of them in their General Tso's starting tray.  They are sitting on a heat mat.

IMG_1995.jpg

The first pepper was coming up on the 22nd so 9 days for my first one!  It was the CGN Cardenasii.  

IMG_1999.jpg

The cotyledon's are so tiny!

IMG_1998.jpg

I tried to upload a Page's drawing I made showing square's with the names of the peppers and their location but I can't upload it.  I get a "don't have permission" error when I try so for now I'll just do this manually.

Chacoense        Chacoense       C. Praetermissum       CGN
Puta Pario          CAP 524                                               Cardenasii
                                                                                       (sprout 12/22)                        (Seed Starting Mix)

Cumari              Rocopica           Chacoense                        ?
Pollux                Cardenasii          CAP 1445                    Unknown
                                X
                          UNK Rocoto
These are the seeds in the starting mix.  The rock wool cubes have the same seeds in the same order.
I'll try to get a photo and post later since I can't upload the file.  

(CD, hope I got the names right!)

I'll update as things progress.

Edited to add that the unknown listing is because the writing on the envelope got smeared and I couldn't make out the name.  I'm pretty sure it was a wild variety so I went ahead and planted them.  Hopefully they germinate and can be identified later.

Seed starting mix is Jiffy brand.  I had some left over from last year.

This morning there is another sprout!  A CAP 524 in the rock wool.  
I was thinking these wild seeds would take quite a while to germinate.  That's why I started them so early.  Looks like I need to start planning on making space for larger plants before time to plant outside this spring.

Anyway, here is a pic from this morning.  I cut the plastic starter with the CGN Cardenasii so I can get it out of the dome and labeled both to be able to keep up with what's what.

CAP 524:CGN.jpg

CAP 524.jpg

Not real happy with photo quality.  I'm using my iPhone 6s.  The plants are not in real good focus.

Got up this morning and had a couple more babies perking up.
 There is another CAP 524 coming up.  One of them will get snipped off.  (I put 2 seeds in each container.)  One of Canedogs Rocopica Cardenasii crosses is up and there is a CAP 1445 peeking through.
CAP 524
CAP 524 sprout.jpg

Rocopica Cardenasii X UNK Rocoto (leaf tips are looking a little yellow) The CAP 1445 beside it is the one in the next pic below.  In this pic it hasn't pushed through.  The next pic was later in the day.
Rocopica Card. X Rocoto.jpg

CAP 1445
CAP 1445.jpg

The rock wool cubes seem to have the edge for faster germination so far.  All I did was soak them in some 5.5ph water for about an hour and rinsed them well.  I let them drain a little before inserting the seeds and then used tweezers to "pull" some fibers over the ready made hole to cover them some.  
Hopefully the rest of the seeds get off to a good start like these!  I may have to buy another light fixture to keep them happy until plant out time.
Oh yeah.  I put labels in everything since I am removing them from the humidity dome after they sprout.  The chart I made is useless now since they are out of place.  I thought it was a good idea at the time. 

Alright, showin' cotys   :woohoo:

The Rockwool cubes work great. They are great for root pruning
if the bottom sits on a screen of some kind. I use 1/4" plastic
hardware cloth. Last year I experimented with leaving them in just
the cubes for about 2 weeks. Seemed to work okay.

PaulG said:
Alright, showin' cotys   :woohoo:

The Rockwool cubes work great. They are great for root pruning
if the bottom sits on a screen of some kind. I use 1/4" plastic
hardware cloth. Last year I experimented with leaving them in just
the cubes for about 2 weeks. Seemed to work okay.

Do you cut the roots that extend through the hardware cloth?  I'm not sure what you mean.  
I plan on leaving the plants in the rock wool cubes so as not to disturb the roots and just planting the whole thing in potting mix.  I'll probably give them a very dilute "drink" of something like Dynagro Foliage Pro in another week or so.
I have a baquinho that I started in rock wool that is a dwc winter grow and it got pretty big.  (I had to trim it down some)  The main stalk is probably 1" diameter now and the cubes are just 1 1/2".  Pretty impressive.  
Thanks for following PaulG.  

You're off to a quick start, Tybo.  That's great.  I may have to give rockwool another shot this season. Last winter I cut up a large cube into smaller cubes, but without the wrapper around the sides they didn't hold water well at all making them high maintenance.  I like RW's potential given the sterility, effective air/water mix, and the ease of air pruning the roots as Paul mentions, simply by putting them on some form of rack. I'm curious, what temps are you running for your cubes?

Tybo said:

Do you cut the roots that extend through the hardware cloth?  I'm not sure what you mean.  
I plan on leaving the plants in the rock wool cubes so as not to disturb the roots and just planting the whole thing in potting mix.  I'll probably give them a very dilute "drink" of something like Dynagro Foliage Pro in another week or so.
I have a baquinho that I started in rock wool that is a dwc winter grow and it got pretty big.  (I had to trim it down some)  The main stalk is probably 1" diameter now and the cubes are just 1 1/2".  Pretty impressive.  
Thanks for following PaulG.  

No need to trim the roots, they will air prune if they
are on some kind of surface that allows air flow to
reach the bottom of the cube, as C-Dog said above.
that encourages roots to grow out the sides of the
cubes. Since the Rockwool cubes contain no nutrients,
they need food with each watering. I had good luck with 
Rapid Start.

As for planting, yes, just remove the plastic sleeve
and plant the whole cube.

CaneDog said:
You're off to a quick start, Tybo.  That's great.  I may have to give rockwool another shot this season. Last winter I cut up a large cube into smaller cubes, but without the wrapper around the sides they didn't hold water well at all making them high maintenance.  I like RW's potential given the sterility, effective air/water mix, and the ease of air pruning the roots as Paul mentions, simply by putting them on some form of rack. I'm curious, what temps are you running for your cubes?
They are off to a quick start!  I was expecting longer germination times from everything I read about wilds but hey Im not complaining.  There are still several more varieties to get started.
These grodan cubes with the plastic seem to hold moisture for about 2 days in our house with the heat pump drying the air out.  My humidity gauge is reading 33%.  The seed starting mix dries out quicker.  It is mainly peat.  I have been keeping a spray bottle handy and mist them every day or they dry out so quick.
I have the heat mat set on 78F.  The temp probe is "wedged" in between 2 of the rock wool cubes to suspend it above the mat.  With the 4 tube T5 light hanging above, the temp will get up to 85F at times.  

PaulG said:

No need to trim the roots, they will air prune if they
are on some kind of surface that allows air flow to
reach the bottom of the cube, as C-Dog said above.
that encourages roots to grow out the sides of the
cubes. Since the Rockwool cubes contain no nutrients,
they need food with each watering. I had good luck with 
Rapid Start.

As for planting, yes, just remove the plastic sleeve
and plant the whole cube.

I'll try sitting the cubes directly on the wire shelf.
I don't have any Rapid Start but I do have plenty of the Foliage Pro and the Grow fertilizer from Dynagro.  Do you think it's too early yet to start feeding them a weak solution?  

Update time.  This is the latest seed to germinate.  I was beginning to wonder what happened after the others germinated so fast.  

putapario12:30.jpg

The CAP 524 twins are coming along good but it's time to decide which one has to go.  Any thoughts?  I'm leaning toward  sacrificing the one on the right.

doublecap12:30.jpg

Here is the CAP 1445.  

1445-12:30.jpg

The Cardenasii/Rocoto Cross

card:rocoto12:30.jpg

The CGN Cardenasii

cgn12:30.jpg

I started giving them 1/4 tsp per gallon of Dynagro Foliage Pro.  It won't be long until I have to move the first seedlings to a soil mix.
The rock wool is definitely beating out the Jiffy seed starting mix.  I need to start deciding what to use for germinating my main crop of chinese's.  Rock wool is doing so well I'm tempted to order some more cubes.  I do have a block of coco coir I might consider using.  
Anyway, guess that's it for the update for now.  

Happy New Year everyone!

Great to see all the germination activity you're having, Tybo.  I think you've convinced me to give the rock wool starts another try this year; this time with a larger sample size.

And I'm with Paul about saving both 524's.  I know he's had great success with that method and it's worked for me when I've tried it too.

Happy New Year!

PaulG said:
You are getting great results with the wilds, Ty.

As for the CAP 524 seedlings. why not cut the
smaller off as deep under the soil as you can
and root it in some water? At this stage they
will readily root up nicely.

CaneDog said:
Great to see all the germination activity you're having, Tybo.  I think you've convinced me to give the rock wool starts another try this year; this time with a larger sample size.

And I'm with Paul about saving both 524's.  I know he's had great success with that method and it's worked for me when I've tried it too.

Happy New Year!

Since I've never tried this with a seedling before I just want to be clear before I do the cutting.  Are you guys just using plain water with no rooting hormone?
Distilled water?
Any suggestions appreciated.  

Tybo said:
Since I've never tried this with a seedling before I just want to be clear before I do the cutting.  Are you guys just using plain water with no rooting hormone?
Distilled water?
Any suggestions appreciated.  

I just used plain tap water from a container that had been
sitting for a couple of days. Didn't pH balance or anything.

Here's a pic from last season:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70220-paulg-2019/?p=1604654

Thanks Paul.  The roots on that seedling look great.  What kind of container is that?  It looks perfect for that purpose.

Back