• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo's 2020 Grow Log

Well after looking through lots of glog's, I decided to try doing one myself.  Hopefully I can keep it updated regularly and improve with photo quality along the way.
That being said------I"M LATE!  Yep, this first post is 10 days late.  Meaning I started some seeds 10 days ago.  I guess my excuse is that we've been trying to get ready for the holidays here.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get on the 2019 seed train and when B train showed up here, I was able to get some seeds that I probably wouldn't have thought of getting on my own.

It's a little early to start my main grow but I wanted to get something going so I chose to start some wild seeds that I got off the train.  Some of these came from Canedog.  (The Cap. 524 and 1445 and Cumari Pollux I bought)

So on December 13th I started 8 varieties of seed.  8 in rock wool and 8 of the same varieties in seed starting mix.
Here is a pic of them in their General Tso's starting tray.  They are sitting on a heat mat.

IMG_1995.jpg

The first pepper was coming up on the 22nd so 9 days for my first one!  It was the CGN Cardenasii.  

IMG_1999.jpg

The cotyledon's are so tiny!

IMG_1998.jpg

I tried to upload a Page's drawing I made showing square's with the names of the peppers and their location but I can't upload it.  I get a "don't have permission" error when I try so for now I'll just do this manually.

Chacoense        Chacoense       C. Praetermissum       CGN
Puta Pario          CAP 524                                               Cardenasii
                                                                                       (sprout 12/22)                        (Seed Starting Mix)

Cumari              Rocopica           Chacoense                        ?
Pollux                Cardenasii          CAP 1445                    Unknown
                                X
                          UNK Rocoto
These are the seeds in the starting mix.  The rock wool cubes have the same seeds in the same order.
I'll try to get a photo and post later since I can't upload the file.  

(CD, hope I got the names right!)

I'll update as things progress.

Edited to add that the unknown listing is because the writing on the envelope got smeared and I couldn't make out the name.  I'm pretty sure it was a wild variety so I went ahead and planted them.  Hopefully they germinate and can be identified later.

Congrats on the CGN Cards.  Funny how they can take sooo long, but then pop at almost identical times.  Also on the Cumari.

I've sprayed undiluted 3% H2O2 onto soil before, but not not rock wool.  I'd be a little concerned about the rock wool transporting it to the seedling in higher concentration than would be expected with soil, but at lower concentration I'd be less confident of its effectiveness.  I like your idea of the opaque covering, which might also help the cubes hold moisture longer.  My Grodan cubes are supposed to arrive tomorrow and I think I'll try an opaque covering once the seeds pop and I exposure the cubes to light.  Maybe you could just scrape off the top layer of crud and then cover the tops to prevent it from coming back?

And hey!  I didn't screw up and send you only 2 seeds of the rocopica, did I?  :banghead:  Hopefully some are just hiding behind the label.

Keep up the good Tybo, you're killin' it!

CaneDog said:
Congrats on the CGN Cards.  Funny how they can take sooo long, but then pop at almost identical times.  Also on the Cumari.

I've sprayed undiluted 3% H2O2 onto soil before, but not not rock wool.  I'd be a little concerned about the rock wool transporting it to the seedling in higher concentration than would be expected with soil, but at lower concentration I'd be less confident of its effectiveness.  I like your idea of the opaque covering, which might also help the cubes hold moisture longer.  My Grodan cubes are supposed to arrive tomorrow and I think I'll try an opaque covering once the seeds pop and I exposure the cubes to light.  Maybe you could just scrape off the top layer of crud and then cover the tops to prevent it from coming back?
I was concerned too, that's why I asked.  I'll try to cover them to block the light and see what happens.  If it helps with the moisture loss that would be awesome.  

And hey!  I didn't screw up and send you only 2 seeds of the rocopica, did I?  :banghead:  Hopefully some are just hiding behind the label.
No you didn't screw up, they were hiding.

Keep up the good Tybo, you're killin' it!
Thanks again.

I wouldn’t worry about the green stuff on the
Grodan cubes. Mine had it last season, and it
didn’t seem to hurt anything. Once I transplanted
them, most of it just sort of dried out.

Started soaking some more seeds today.  Some will go in rockwool cubes and the extras in Black Gold potting mix.  I have a bag here already and after seeing PaulG having good luck with it I decided to give it a go for the extras.

IMG_2068.jpg

Here's a shot of the seedlings I already started.  Check out that CGN Cardenasii in the foreground!  I hope the vigorous growth is normal for the Cardi's. 

new starts.jpg

Hmmm...  That doesn't look quite right for Cardenasii. And if it crossed, I'd expect it to look like the Rocopica next to it.  This is the one that sprouted so quickly, right?  It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.  Maybe try smelling it and see if you get that strong, kinda perfumey Cardenasii smell.  

Did you get the seed out of a dried pod, or just a naked seed?

CaneDog said:
Hmmm...  That doesn't look quite right for Cardenasii. And if it crossed, I'd expect it to look like the Rocopica next to it.  This is the one that sprouted so quickly, right?  It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.  Maybe try smelling it and see if you get that strong, kinda perfumey Cardenasii smell.  

Did you get the seed out of a dried pod, or just a naked seed?

I wouldn't trust my memory to answer that.  I can be confident that I labeled my packet just like the OG though.

Tybo said:
I wouldn't trust my memory to answer that.  I can be confident that I labeled my packet just like the OG though.

Gotcha.  The CGN Cardenasii I put on the B Train were all in OP dried pods - harder to accidentally mix up seeds when they're in pods - which would seem to make it much more likely to be either true or a hybrid versus a seed mix up.  It doesn't really look like either IMO, but it's more likely to be a cross than a true Card. 

The CGN Card's were separated a fair amount - though definitely not enough to be properly/fully isolated - from anything they have the potential to cross with.  In this case that would be the rocotos I grew at home (over 2 dozen varieties) and a CAP 1491 Eximium.  It'll be interesting to see how it develops!  And glad to see you have another sprout marked CGN Card next to it.

Cardenasii will give off a strong and very recognizable smell so that's something to keep an eye (nose) open for.

Wow! That's really intriguing.  I didn't recognize before how fuzzy it was.  I suppose I'd say most likely it's crossed with a rocoto, but it has a different look.  It'll be really interesting to see what comes of it.

I haven't updated since the 12th because, well, there aint much to update!  Still waiting on the newest seeds to pop.  They are in the heated tray doing their thing........and taking their time about it.  I know.  I'm impatient.

Uh oh!  I got an error trying to upload a pic saying "Not enough space.  You need an Extreme Membership for unlimited uploads."

I guess my previous uploads count?

Well I'm off to decide if I want to upgrade.  

Time for a little update.  I upgraded my membership since I couldn't upload anymore photos on the 18th so hopefully things go well.

Here is the questionable CGN Cardenasii.  It will be nice to see what it turns out to be for sure.

?CGN Cardi.jpg

I've got 3 Cumari Pollux doing well:

Cumari Pollux 1:18:20 2.jpg

Cumari Pollux 1:18:2020.jpg

CumariPollux1:20.jpg

An updated shot of the Rocopica CGN Cardenasii X:

Rocopica CGN Cardi X.jpg

CAP 524 (I have 2 of these)

CAP524.jpg

CAP 1445:

CAP1445 1:18:20.jpg

I still haven't separated or culled one of these CGN Cardenasii twins.

CGN Cardi twins 1:18.jpg

And the PutaPario.

PutaPario 1:18:20.jpg

I've also got some superhots planted.  A guy I know wanted me to start some for him so I've started some Carolina Reapers, 7 Pot Primo's, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion's and some of Bhuter's 7 Pot Cinder's.
I also had some Aji Charipita seeds, some KS LemonStarrburst and some Manzano's I decided to add to the mix!

The rest of my chinese's will be planted soon and annum's later.

I still haven't started the fatalii"s for the grow down.  Hmm, maybe tomorrow.

Your wilds look great, Ty!
Your pictures look great, as well!

Congrats on the Extreme   :fire:
How did it work for you? Easy?

PaulG said:
Your wilds look great, Ty!
Your pictures look great, as well!

Congrats on the Extreme   :fire:
How did it work for you? Easy?

Thanks.  Yeah the wilds are doing better than I thought.
The pics could still use some improvement I think.

I just uploaded the pics like I always did.  I didnt notice anything different for uploading pics but I was in a hurry.  Is there a different procedure with extreme that I missed?

You can click the "More Reply Options" button at the lower right of your post, then "Chose File" then "Attach This File," then you'll have an "Add to Post" option to place the image at the cursor location.  You don't use the "Image" button in the upper menu with this method.

Your peppers are looking great, Tybo!

Nah. I just find it easier not to have to
copy and paste a url into a dialogue box.

Back