• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Just purchased my tomato/sweet pepper seeds

Just got off the phone with tomatogrowers.com and got my 'mater and sweet pepper seeds. I have grown tomatoes for a long time and decided to go with new varieties this year.

Tomatoes
Tiffany
Jetsetters
Kimberly
Early Wonder
Lemon Boy
Golden Girl
Cherokee Chocolate
White Beauty
With the exception of golden girl these will be varieties I have never tried before. I'm particularly curious about the cherokee chocolate and the white beauty which of course is a white tomato. Anyone have any experience with these varieties?

Sweet Peppers
Jupiter
Banana Supreme
Ariane Hybrid

Anyone ever grow these?

I am growing the Ariane Hybrid.....

It's a great sweet pepper....Good size, very sweet and moist, and it's a great colour...

Was really disappointed with the White Beauty. We had a not-so-great growing season but it was not near as prolific as many others. The Cherokee was also a disappointment but it's the nature of the fruit. Wait until the entire tom ripens and the bottom starts to rot. Get it when the bottom and middle are ripe and toss 1/3 of the fruit into the scrap heap.

Maybe a great growing season will make a difference for you. Two years ago we had a drought and while the early season (until mid-August) was bountiful, after that very little. This year, it seemed I would get enough toms from 45 plants to make at most 10 quarts of juice. Last year, it was easy to get 20 quarts from one evening's harvest.

Mike

I grew a white tomato this year for the first time. It was a cherry tomato called Snow White..it was really good and sweet.

ddrsheden said:
I grew a white tomato this year for the first time. It was a cherry tomato called Snow White..it was really good and sweet.

I am also growing the snow white, and the 'Hugh' (white) tomato...

Both are still young so hopefully in a month or so I will know what they are like?

Ah,

I'm making some yellow chili tonight. I only reaped about six quarts of white juice which I am saving for a reunion but I want to take the yellow to my Christmas party, since I supply all the foods and drinks.

Mike

I dont guess I have ever seen a white tomato before, much less tasted one. I bet "white" tomato juice is different looking

Anyone tried the cherokee chocolate before?

BrianS said:
I dont guess I have ever seen a white tomato before, much less tasted one. I bet "white" tomato juice is different looking

Anyone tried the cherokee chocolate before?

Brian, did you read the previous posts?

And yeah, white juice looks different from red juice. :rolleyes: But it tastes similar, just not near as acidic.

Mike

I have always found white tomato to be a little bit bland. I heard cherokee chocolate is a more prolific version of cherokee purple, which I love.

Lemon boy and Kimberly are awesome, but I think they like cooler weather tho.

I never liked the white tomatoes but if you use a good strainer(or even a pillowcase) as a filter, you can make your red tomato juice white/clear.
I'm not a huge fan of the purple/black tomatoes for taste, but they do contain high levels of antioxidants which are usually only available from blueberries/blackberries and some other blue/black fruit/veg

POTAWIE said:
I never liked the white tomatoes but if you use a good strainer(or even a pillowcase) as a filter, you can make your red tomato juice white/clear.

Cool! Would a coffee filter work, maybe double filters?

A food processor and strainer will. If the strainer is not porous enough, you will lose too much of the pulp that five tomato juice its flavor.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Brian, did you read the previous posts?
Certainly, The previous posts only talked about how the cher choc grew, I was wanting to know how it tastes, the only thing about taste was about the white.
Now may I ask did YOU read the previous posts LOL?

And yeah, white juice looks different from red juice. :rolleyes: But it tastes similar, just not near as acidic.

Mike
Interesting, I just thought I would try one of these for the hell of it. I guess if I dont like them I wont grow them the next year.

Thanks for the INFO ;)

Brian,

If you don't mind drinking juice that looks black (or very close to it) it's pretty much like red juice. Mine (at least the part that ripened) was extremely juicy.

IMO, they are great if you are looking for a novelty tomato to show your friends but if the main reason for growing is slicing or canning, the space can be put to much more productive uses.

Mike

MrArboc said:
Cool! Would a coffee filter work, maybe double filters?
Coffee filters will clog up too fast and most strainers aren't fine enough. I usually use a clean extra pillowcase but you could probably use a jam or jelly strainer bag

wordwiz said:
Brian,

If you don't mind drinking juice that looks black (or very close to it) it's pretty much like red juice. Mine (at least the part that ripened) was extremely juicy.
I'll drink it no matter the color LOL

IMO, they are great if you are looking for a novelty tomato to show your friends but if the main reason for growing is slicing or canning, the space can be put to much more productive uses.

Mike
Actually both the white and the purple mater is being grown as much for novelty purpose as anything else. Thanks for the info:cool:

Back