• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

The Feds Got 'em

Bastages.

I ordered a couple of packets of seeds from a seed company in England, names are being withheld for the hell of it, and the freaking federales snagged them. Three packets. Three packets of 10 seeds each. The envelope came and I got all excited then I seen the little sticker on the outside with the letters USDA big and bold. Then I got depressed.

Inside was a PPQ Form 287, MAIL INTERCEPTION NOTICE, explaining what happened to the seeds. The disposition read: "Prohibited material removed and destroyed".

Totally freaking bummed.

That sucks, aint it nice to know that your tax dollars fund this robbery.

I can just see chilli plants taking over Nabraska!!

Is it actually prohibited material in the US, or was the custom form and labelling just not done properly?

I don't know POTAWIE, I couldn't tell you if there even was any custom forms/labeling done. If it was something that was required of me then I blew it.

Time to do some googling.

Patrick...I tried to get Dorset Nagas in legally from the UK last year and had to go thru a whole bunch of USDA paperwork for import of non approved plants/seeds...

Then I lost contact with the Dorset Naga people in the UK when I got seeds from other sources...

I hate to play devils advocate here, but it's the FDA/USDA's job to stop the import of possibly harmful/dangerous plants. I understand they were just pepper seeds, but they don't know that. There are plenty of examples of foreign plants gaining a stronghold here, and becoming quite a nuisance. Once again, I know it's just pepper seeds, but kudzu was a seed at one point, and has now taken over large areas of the south.

DEFCON Creator said:
I hate to play devils advocate here, but it's the FDA/USDA's job to stop the import of possibly harmful/dangerous plants. I understand they were just pepper seeds, but they don't know that. There are plenty of examples of foreign plants gaining a stronghold here, and becoming quite a nuisance. Once again, I know it's just pepper seeds, but kudzu was a seed at one point, and has now taken over large areas of the south.

agree with you 100% Creator...it's just a pain sometimes tho'

Mmmm kudzu!

Ok I just read the wikipedia page on kudzu. Wow! I never knew it was such a menace (or even grew) in the US! I've even it in Japan... they use it kinda like a thickening agent and I had a stew with kudzu root in it.

I figure if a seed company sent you seeds without properly addressing customs issues then you should ask them to re-send properly. A non-labelled padded envelope with a seed company's name on it is probably going to stand out, but I don't think its all that hard to label things properly for customs, especially if that's the business you're in.

POTAWIE said:
I figure if a seed company sent you seeds without properly addressing customs issues then you should ask them to re-send properly. A non-labelled padded envelope with a seed company's name on it is probably going to stand out, but I don't think its all that hard to label things properly for customs, especially if that's the business you're in.

Very well said.

lostmind said:
Mmmm kudzu!

Ok I just read the wikipedia page on kudzu. Wow! I never knew it was such a menace (or even grew) in the US! I've even it in Japan... they use it kinda like a thickening agent and I had a stew with kudzu root in it.

Its so bad in some areas that the towns and cities actually have and maintain goat herds that they set loose in the parks and empty lots that are innundated to eat the stuff.

As my dad said many years ago, having grown up in Ft. Benning:

The Coke will kill you,
The Baptists will bury you,
And the Kudzu will cover you up.

AlabamaJack said:
Patrick...I tried to get Dorset Nagas in legally from the UK last year and had to go thru a whole bunch of USDA paperwork for import of non approved plants/seeds...

Then I lost contact with the Dorset Naga people in the UK when I got seeds from other sources...

I ordered dried dorset naga pods from nagaseeds.co.uk a year or so ago and they got intercepted by customs (all i got was an empty tupperware dish with a sticker :(). I emailed the company and they are so awesome that they ground some up for me(they don't normally grind things as they don't sell powder) and mailed that to me! Great customer service, definitely give those guys 2 thumbs up.

DEFCON Creator said:

Well, except for the government brought kudzu in on purpose. You used to be able to buy the seeds in catalogs as late as the 70's, I think. A better example might be a plant brought in as an ornamental like purple loosestrife or a medicinal plant like common mullein.

Back