• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Korean pepper?

I'm new to the forum and want to thank everyone for all of the information I've picked up on my new hobby. This will be the first year I've grown my own. I have a good idea of the main peppers I want in my garden, but I have a question someone here may be able to help me with.

I had an old friend who was of Korean heritage but born in the U.S.A. His Korean-born mother used to cook us some of the most delicious meals. I really enjoyed the flavors they use in their food. Anyway, she always used to serve these raw peppers on the side of most dishes. They were light green, about 4-6 inches long, 1 inch in diameter, medium heat (some like Jalapenos and others a little hotter), sweet, medium skin, very crisp, and made the mouth water a little. Unfortunately, his mother has passed and he doesn't remember what kind of peppers they were. He tried to visit the old Korean lady at the market but it has closed.

Does anyone have any idea what kind they might be? I would love to plant some this year to see what I get. I know there are probably dozens of possibilities, but we believe they were truely Korean peppers.

TIA.

Only thing i could come up with was this.
korean.jpg

Welcome!

There are so many peppers that fit that description, you might have to try several varieties to get the right one.

How awful huh, being forced to try lots of peppers!

I was at an Indian restaurant a few weeks ago with an Indian friend, and I mentioned that none of the food was spicy hot. We both knew however that as a buffet lunch place they had to appeal to everyone. He calls the waiter guy over and tell him something in Indian. They guy leaves and reappears with a plate of small green peppers. They were green, only about 1/2" long, and not very thick. I chomped down on one and then started the next, and the heat wasn't immediate, but it built up to a nice crescendo. I have no idea what kind of peppers they were and neither did they. To these guys they are all "chilis". :lol:

I wonder if this is a similar pepper to the Korean ones mentioned at the top of this thread.

Thanks for the ideas.

Nova- what type of peppers are those in the picture. Don't quite look like the ones I'm looking for, but close.

Pot- looked over Chileman's site, great resource, but wish there were more pictures of the Korean peppers.

Pam- darn, your right. Might have to plant a bunch of peppers to figure it out. Poor me!

Worlok- similar discription to the heat I remember, built over time. But the pepper I'm looking for was considerably bigger.

Mayeeta- had gochu kimchi along with several other kimchi dishes at each meal. These peppers were "on the side" and different. Probably have to plant some putgochu to make the kimchi though. It was pretty good too.

My friend is going to try to get in touch with his grandmother or aunt in Korea to see what they know. May take a while to communicate with them. I was hoping to know soon so I could get them started.

Thanks again.

I know these are not the chiles you describe or are looking for, but kung pao chiles are good for asian dishes (also many thai chiles!)

Geez, you are all making my mouth water. Had to make a pot of chili tonight just to sate my desire. I want to grow them all.

Chilehunter, any specific Thai peppers you would recommend?

orange thai & yellow thai (pretty close to being the same,comparing the 1 year I grew yellow thai)
thai (well name is iffy cuz looks & names dont match up but still in thai family, thats what the hmongs around here sell them as)
red thai

the orange an red thais (even the thai)are alot hotter than what you are taking about, they'll make your mouth do more than water a little bit :lol:

check some websites for what kind of chiles interest you & ask here or get seeds from online (stay away from reimers!!!)
if you need website ideas, ask here.
or you can always do the local farmers market for plants (if the FM is decent size)

in fact check this website, great search engine, so many options for what you're looking for. you can go from there for some ideas to grow.

www.chileplants.com

For those who don't already know it, Smokemaster is the MAN!

After contacting several people, who all have agreed that Put Gochu peppers are what I am looking for, Smokemaster even provided me with some seeds! I cannot thank him enough!

I talked with my Korean buddy and he is as excited as I am. He has yet to hear from his aunt but is confident that we are on the right track as the name rings some serious bells.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, especially Smokemaster. I'll provide pictures as I grow these.

Reactions: SL3
The seeds are from S.Korea and the person I got them is there now.
I don't think she would be wrong about Korean peppers. LOL
She has sent me several kinds of pepper seeds.Some have translated names and others don't.
5 are uknows to me.
the others are
chung-sol , Qquary-gochu , delicious , the giant , put-gochu , aljji , I like everything , kimchi pepper-tae-yang , hong gochu and a couple purple ornamentals.
I'm expecting more varieties soon as the new seeds come out for the comming Korean growing season in a couple weeks.

She said if anyone needs to get any seeds from Korea she will help if I let her know what they are looking for.

Pepper Turd said:
I'm new to the forum and want to thank everyone for all of the information I've picked up on my new hobby. This will be the first year I've grown my own. I have a good idea of the main peppers I want in my garden, but I have a question someone here may be able to help me with.

I had an old friend who was of Korean heritage but born in the U.S.A. His Korean-born mother used to cook us some of the most delicious meals. I really enjoyed the flavors they use in their food. Anyway, she always used to serve these raw peppers on the side of most dishes. They were light green, about 4-6 inches long, 1 inch in diameter, medium heat (some like Jalapenos and others a little hotter), sweet, medium skin, very crisp, and made the mouth water a little. Unfortunately, his mother has passed and he doesn't remember what kind of peppers they were. He tried to visit the old Korean lady at the market but it has closed.

Does anyone have any idea what kind they might be? I would love to plant some this year to see what I get. I know there are probably dozens of possibilities, but we believe they were truely Korean peppers.

TIA.
I'm guessing Hong or Taeng Cho
Phut means chili

Another likely contender is Shishito. I have had them served at Korean Sushi restaurants much like you described. They are apparently Japanese but I think Koreans and Japanese share a lot of foods.

3623438572_2839687468.jpg

Back