• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Before, During and After...smokin' the bird

Sorry I didn't get pics of the 15 jalapenos that were stuffed up this turkey's ass. The poor Tom was already violated enough without getting a camera shoved up there.
The tinge of spice ended very mild, but nicely permeated the meat in a very tasty way.

naked_turkey.jpg

finished_turkey.jpg

after.jpg

Hungry yet?

Beautiful tan on that bird Stoney. Who da' thunk people would be disappointed of not having a turkey cavity search pic. Ahhh who cares...let's eat that 'thang!

Cheers, TB.

WOW. Textbook.

The jalapenos would have been better served dried and sprinkled over the outside, but, I guess, if you had....like....unlimited jalapenos(;)), I would sprinkle away, and then definitely shove some raw japs up it's ass.

WHY NOT?

skealo said:
What temp and how long did you smoke the bird?

I never check the temperature since it slow cooks for so long. I fired up the smoker at about 6 PM with oranges, apples, neck, giblets and onions in the water bowl. Put on some well soaked hickory chunks on the coals at 6:30. Kept the water bowl filled all night. Carved it at about noon the next day.
I've tried doing a rub with dried peppers, but even though the skin looks pretty it has the consistency of very old leather and isn't pleasant to eat. It does however do an excellent job of holding in the juices which is why I have had better success with the flavor by stuffing the whole peppers inside.

Nice mate, thats how we cook the camel and goat meat over here. we put it on for about 12 or so hours, and it is just amazing!

very very nice looking bird... gotta get another turkey soon just for this... thanks for the inspiration

skealo said:
What temp and how long did you smoke the bird?

for the best smoked "Q'd" turkey i follow these simple steps

brine,brine,brine - makes for a juicy bird

i smoke at a little higher temperature than regular meat - 275* - 300*F

when the thermometer tells you its 165*F, thats when i pull it...

to get a crispy skin like StoneySauce, raise your smoker/cookers temp up for the about 1/2 to an hour

BamsBBQ said:
to get a crispy skin like StoneySauce, raise your smoker/cookers temp up for the about 1/2 to an hour
Or use the Chinese secret of Peking duck, and use an air compressor to separate the skin from the flesh. Crissssssssssssspy skin.

thehotpepper.com said:
Or use the Chinese secret of Peking duck, and use an air compressor to separate the skin from the flesh. Crissssssssssssspy skin.

Interesting. Would probably make it easier to rub spices between skin and meat then too.

Nice bird stoney.

Back