I'd been having trouble with my log-in, and I kept getting locked out, getting frustrated, drinking a beer and forgetting to try again.
I'm excited to announce that the 2018 Scovie Awards were announced last Friday & Year of the Dog won #1 overall for the tasting division to win Grand Prize, Tasting Division!
The Scovie awards have long been a challenge for me - while I've had success in the THPAs, Golden Chiles, Chile Pepper Magazine, awards, I've never done better than 2nd place at the Scovies. It's a deep field of competition and while Dia del Perro won a Grand Prize for Marketing division in 2016, 1st place in any category of the tasting division has eluded me over the years.
This year that all changed.
- 1st Place, Verde - Green Label
- 1st Place, Cook it Up, Marinade - Year of the Dog (recipe below)
- 1st Place, World Beat - Year of the Dog
- Grand Prize, Tasting Division - Year of the Dog
My first award-winning recipe!
Tequila-Lime Prawns, ala Year of the Dog:
- 1 C Tequila
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Juice of 4-5 limes
- 4 OZ Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Year of the Dog
- 2 Lbs prawns, shelled, de-veined & butterflied
Clean & shell the prawns, de-veining & butterflying them
Add prawns to bag, and brine 3 hours.
2 cook methods, both work!
- Skewer with metal BBQ skewers & cook over open coals.
- Sauté in oil on flat-iron
- Cook until golden - agave/honey will caramelize.
- Over rice, with steamed veggies & a light teryaki sauce for a Mexi-Asian fusion stir fry
- In warmed corn tortillas, with shredded cabbage, Mexican creama & a crumble of coteja cheese, using Year of the Dog as a finishing sauce for Asian-Mexi fusion tacos.
It's been an amazing journey, and THP has certainly been a big part of it. While I haven't had a ton of time to play on the forums lately (and couldn't figure out my damn log-in for a few weeks) I still lurk occasionally. heh
Thanks to everyone here for your friendship & support over the years.
Much love (and hot sauce)
Ps - you can see the full list of winners at http://www.scovieawards.com