event 10 days to Byron Bay Chilli Festival

WOOHOO - Christmas in September for ozzie pepperheads. Santas going to ride a fresh Naga pod pulled by...

Rudolf the Red-Hab,
Dasher to the Dunny,
Dancer waiting at the Dunny Door,
Prancer the Hunan Hand Victim,
Vixen who shall be Obeyed,
Donder the descriptive sound,
Blitzen the IGG impersonator,
Cupid the pack of 7-pod seeds
and Comet who's a prime piece of venison & looking very worried.

two more sleeps - well actually it's one more sleep followed by a 781km drive followed by another sleep... I might have to mix a little guarana with my chile for a little boost...

I'm sure that 9 hours in the car with the beautiful chilliwoman will just fly by...

to the tune of Jingle Bells:

dashing to the dunny
after a big feed of pods
ass over tit we go
laughing all the way (ho ho ho)
bell peppers and onion rings
and beers make heads feel light
an endorphin rush it is to eat a naga in one bite

oh naga pods, naga pods, nagas all the wayyyy
but it's not much fun to sit upon the dunny all the day, eh!

I'm sure you can't tell but it took me all of about 5 minutes to come up with this. any requests???

Dude...have you started already ? :rolleyes:

I just picked up the camper & yup..
its a Hiace deisel poptop with a ton of stuff in it.

You might beat me there :scared:

nah, no such like. the chilliwoman is at a conference today and won't be home until late. I just had a couple of chicken and mustard pickle bread rolls with a liberal splash of Mega Death. I may have to pack some frozen toilet paper and some frozen yoghurt bumcicles for the trip tomorrow. a cork may be a good idea too!

has the Hiace got the kitchenette inside or do you have to cook outside? what about an annexe or do you have a tent? yeah I bet the weight and age of the van and being a diesel could make your short trip quite an expedition. is the young bloke looking forward to it?

I hear that NASA have a range of diapers that me be useful for your trip.

Its got a kitchenette - good size bar fridge. I'm not going to cook inside it tho...I have a 3-burner camping stove that uses same bottle as bbq. A big folding table. Theres an annexe off the side of the van & i'll bring a marquee. Will have to see how hard the winds blowin there before I pitch anything.

The boy was a bit worried about a whole weekend eating nothing but chilli - he's keen on it now since I told him there's going to be a few curries too.
I better start packing :rolleyes:

see you there mate, if we don't get there too late I'll crash your campsite looking for a coldie and something to eat. depending on our time of arrival I'll give you a call. DRIVE CAREFULLY!!!

yep, it was a hot time alright. chilliwoman and I left Sydney at 6am Friday and arrived at about 4:15pm I drove all the way and was pretty knackered by the time we arrived! 775kms up and we ended up coming home on Sunday though my darling wife drove the first 250kms.

anyway, after a quick freshen up, I went looking for bentalphanerd's campsite. what a view he had, right on the beach, waves crashing around, perfect. we had a couple of coldies and talked the usual crap for a while before it was time for me to head back to the missus and go get some tucker.

next day I was keen to get 'into it' chilliwoman and I went for a substantial brekkie, necessary for the chilli that was to come. we had a quick walk around, a sort of reccie mission and then CW hit the shops while I went in search of fellow chilliheads. it wasn't long before I was chatting to stillmanz and he pointed out bent's ponytail and mentioned that he had seen billyboy and that he was helping out lana. bent and I had a few cooling ales in order to steel our nerves somewhat, we exchanged our preferences regarding which free samples we wanted first all the while dipping corn chips into some of lana's chipotles in adobo, mmmm... bent was particularly interested when I told him about the stall holder who told me he was going to have a jolokia paste ready for sale in 6 or 7 months and if I came back to see him later he would give me a sample!

the nearest stall was stillmanz so naturally I hit him up for some free stuff straight away. if you haven't tried his great tasting sauces then you are missing out - I bought three - Fire, Inferno and the Texas Pequin Hot Sauce. all seriously tasty sauces and with heat that lets you know you've had chilli but yet doesn't overpower the flavours. I can see I'll be having more of these! well done Mick and nice to meet you. you're stall looked excellent and with the black and red colour scheme was one of the best there.

next we trotted over to lana's stall, it was crowded with people three deep and billyboy was working like a trojan! we said a quick gday and left them to the paying customers.

next it was over to Chilli Willies stall. he had a number of habanero sauces in 5 oz bottles with heat ratings between 7 and 10. nice hot sauces, hab based, mostly more than 25% habanero and some great names amongst them - I got two - Habanero Spontaneous Combustion and a bottle of Blurter Hurter - both 10 out of 10.

by now I was starting to warm up a little. we hit the Disaster Bay Chillies stall. they had about 6 different samples, a couple of curry types with great flavour and some reasonable heat. I fell in love with the Lemon Stinger which is a lemon and chilli marmalade and had to get a couple of jars. their chillies are organically grown and the packaging is top notch!

we tried a couple of other stalls. I got some Coriander Salsa. we had some really hot sauces but nothing too tasty. one was billed as a 10++ but by then I couldn't taste the heat in it because my mouth was constantly glowing, that is until we went to the next stall...

the Chilli Factory is a brand I have had many times before, in fact, I'm quite a fan of their products and nearly always have a bottle or two ready to go. it is also the stall where the vendor told me he had the jolokia samples. by now we were ready to give it a go.

I started off by chatting to the owner and his assistant, as we all know, chilliheads are a fairly gregarious bunch. I tried about half a dozen or more of his wares, though I knew what I was going to buy - a bottle of Fiery Frillneck Hiss (a hot smokey chilli tomato sauce - mmmmmmm - one of my all time favourites) and two jars of Turbo Supercharge (extreme hot habanero paste). bent was eating free stuff like the world was gonna end - hahaha.

the owner took a pinch of dried jolokia out of a small plastic container and placed it in my palm. it looked like regular dried red chilli flakes except for one thing - there was a chunk of dried placental tissue in my hand that was almost a centimetre long and about half as thick. he said "just chew it until it gets hot enough and swallow it". we started chewing, and chewing and chewing - it had a delayed effect. eventually I swallowed it, thinking that it was pretty mild.

just then, along strolls stillmanz who the vendor kindly gave some too also. Mick was given a nice big chunk of placenta also! you should have seen the look on his face!!

well, about a minute after I'd eaten it the heat was starting to reach an unbearable level. my eyes were watering, my bald dome was covered in sweat and my nose was starting to run. the three of us were just looking at each other. after blowing my nose several times I said - "I'm outta here" and hurriedly made my way over to the licensed area with stillmanz to quickly down and icy cold brew. I blindly staggered over to lana's tent and blurted out to billyboy that I was in the midst of a jolokia endorphin rush. after dribbling and blowing my nose I ventured over to see stillmanz again. he seemed to be faring better than I. we both had a strong burning sensation in our stomachs. it was the hottest thing I'd eaten in a while and it ended my chilli festival on a high! pics to follow.

all in all it was a great trip and well worth attending with around 40 stalls in total. yeah the rain forced most of us out of there on Saturday afternoon but I needed something to cool me off. unfortunately I didn't get to meet jaz but it was great to meet up with bent, stillmanz, lana and billyboy. see you again next year??? probably!

ps - stillmanz, lana and billyboy are friends from another site though I think stillmanz gets on here occasionally.

Hey hey, the M.I.A chilliman64. I just got home...Sunday was a blast too, weather cleared up about 7am although a few stalls had already left...and crowds....thousands of people.
We took the long way back today and did a few hours fishing on the Tweed. Have lots of stories and pics....not to mention about 14 new bottles of sauce! Will have a few beers now and maybe slap together a webpage later so I don't chew all of THP's bandwidth.
Email me any pics if you want me to throw them up as well.
What a blast that was, I hope they can keep it going.

For now, here's my last known picture of chilliman64 just a taste test or two away from the fateful Jolokia powder munching event. {He seems to be having some kind of premonition}

bentalphanerd said:
For now, here's my last known picture of chilliman64 just a taste test or two away from the fateful Jolokia powder munching event. {He seems to be having some kind of premonition}

yes I disappeared a few minutes after that pic was taken - a victim of dried jolokia.

my tongue still hurts...

chilliman64 said:
we tried a couple of other stalls. I got some Coriander Salsa.

That sounds interesting. How was it?

well, about a minute after I'd eaten it the heat was starting to reach an unbearable level. my eyes were watering, my bald dome was covered in sweat and my nose was starting to run. the three of us were just looking at each other. after blowing my nose several times I said - "I'm outta here" and hurriedly made my way over to the licensed area with stillmanz to quickly down and icy cold brew. I blindly staggered over to lana's tent and blurted out to billyboy that I was in the midst of a jolokia endorphin rush. after dribbling and blowing my nose I ventured over to see stillmanz again. he seemed to be faring better than I. we both had a strong burning sensation in our stomachs. it was the hottest thing I'd eaten in a while and it ended my chilli festival on a high!

That's a good time? You're a very strange man.

Pam said:
That sounds interesting. How was it?

That's a good time? You're a very strange man.

the coriander salsa is very green! it tasted pretty good. I haven't opened my tub of it yet. here's a list of the ingredients:

coriander (43.6%), onion, salt, tamarind, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, sugar, lemon juice, grape seed oil, mustard, chile.

strange - I put the strange in stranger! I love a really good burn. it's hard to beat a day out eating hot food

chilliman64 said:
nice narrative Nerd!

Thanks mate. As you know the fun part is just about to begin :lol:

Having trouble stringing enough peaceful minutes together to finish it {school holidays here}

Any day now:cool:

Back