• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

10 gallon utility tub used as pot ?

I wanted to get some opions from you guys on these tubs that we currently sell in our hardware store.
Do you think they would hold up just as long as a black nursery container? They seem to be very sturdy but im just worried about UV damage from the sun, which would cause them to crack.

I can buy them first cost $2.75 each which is a great price considering i just paid $3.00 for used 7 gal nursey pots.

http://www.homzproducts.com/products/productdetails.aspx?pId=72

Let me know what you guys think.

Height to diameter looks good. Give it a black plastic jacket to keep the sun off of it. The same plastic sheeting used as ground cover.

I wish I could find some of those around where I live. I bought some 18 gallon storage containers at the Dollar store for $5 apiece to plant in.

Alan

I'd give them a shot, why not? I've used 10 gallon totes from walmart before and they seem to hold up really good to the weather. Really what do you have to loose, even if they only last a season or 2? In the past I have had 5 gallon buckets break after spending some time through the winter, but the walmart totes actually made it through the winter unscathed. So more then likely you could get at least 1 season from them. The only problem I could see is if they used something toxic to make the plastic, then there could be a possibility that it could get into your food supply, but that is really the only downside I could think of.

Back