• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

1st Stab at Hydro Bhuts

Earlier this year I heard of this pepper. The pepper known as the Bhut Jolokia. After reading about its potency and how difficult it was to germ and grow I decided to dive in head first. The only other plant i've ever grown in my life was a Jalapeno about 3 years ago. I managed to get 12 or so to germinate and come harvest time i was down to 2.5 plants and yeild of roughly 15 peppers. I've done a little more research now and feel more confident in my growing abilities. I successfully germinated a number of Bhuts now and have about 10 or so growing comfortably. But I couldn't stop there. I had to keep experamenting and pushing the envelope. I decided to go with Hydroponics. But after much searching i haven't found anyone else on the internet that has grown a Bhut in a bucket of water. I can find all the info i want and some I don't on how to grow "Herb" in my closet but nothing on floating bhuts. If anyone out there has any tips, hints, and advice on how to successfully harvest a bumper crop from a 5 gallon bucket please let me know. I would like to pick your brain. Here's the setup i have so far with pics attatched.

400w MH
400w HPS
5 Gallon bucket
Air pump and stone
Peat pellets
Hydroton
Dyna-Gro "grow formula"
PH adjuster

Neet to get a couple more emergency blankets to use as reflector. I'm hoping half the garage will be a grow room. While the other half will be used to rebuild a Ford 351w. I'll make sure to wash my hands between hobbies.

Bhut under CFL
IMG_7004.jpg

Bhut under new 400w Metal Halide
IMG_7025.jpg

MH ballast rigging
IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

Thanks. I was trying to germinate a bhut in some coco pellets but it never happened. So....i just took one that i had established in dirt and put in on the rocks. In 15min it was all perked up. The next day it was 3 shades darker green. No new growth yet but i think it's working on re-establishing a good root system. I kinda tied the roots in knots when rinsing off the old soil.

Rock0nman said:
Thanks. I was trying to germinate a bhut in some coco pellets but it never happened. So....i just took one that i had established in dirt and put in on the rocks. In 15min it was all perked up. The next day it was 3 shades darker green. No new growth yet but i think it's working on re-establishing a good root system. I kinda tied the roots in knots when rinsing off the old soil.

Yeah, it can get way worse before it gets better sometimes after the root rinse and transplant. That's the biggest challenge or hurdle IMO. Haven't done a hydro bhut, have done a few habs and so on. It's probably and mostly about your light if you're going indoor. I've only had my similar setups outside. Looking good so far.

I am also giving some superhots a go in hydro.
I have Trinadad Scorp, Bhut, Dorset Naga, Fatalli, 7 pots. And Yellow Habs.
Just cracked still under propergation lights.

What are some early warning signs i could be looking for in this transplant? It seems to just be sitting there turning greener and greener. I saw some of this stuff in a hydro magazine that makes the roots grow really big. Have any of you tried it? Worth it or not?

chilliman said:
I am also giving some superhots a go in hydro.
I have Trinadad Scorp, Bhut, Dorset Naga, Fatalli, 7 pots. And Yellow Habs.
Just cracked still under propergation lights.

What are you starting the seeds in now? I tried the rapid rooter plugs but was not impressed. The thai hots liked it but the Bhuts struggled to get out of it plus they dried out really fast.

From my limited experience in hydro, three things count - lights, the pH of the solution and the solution itself.

Because my plants are in a south window, I don't have to worry about the first thing. I check the solution with a pH meter and adjust it up or down as necessary. For the ferts, I use plain over-the-counter stuff, switching from one heavier in N to a Bloom and Fruit once I see the first buds. My ppm is about 720.

Mike

I'm using the Dyna-Gro Grow formula. I think it's a little light on the N side. I plan to switch to the bloom formula when the time arises.

Rock0nman said:
What are some early warning signs i could be looking for in this transplant? It seems to just be sitting there turning greener and greener. I saw some of this stuff in a hydro magazine that makes the roots grow really big. Have any of you tried it? Worth it or not?

You'll know when it's not doing well. Leaves fallin off, etc. Bad color. Looking great now though, hope it stays that way. Mot sure whatproduct you're talking about. I just pretty much use Tri Flora or Maxi Bloom by Gen Hydro.

Rock0nman said:
What are you starting the seeds in now? I tried the rapid rooter plugs but was not impressed. The thai hots liked it but the Bhuts struggled to get out of it plus they dried out really fast.

I use peat pucks as well ! Mini green houses. PH your water add a drop or two of superthirve to a few liters of water in sprayer your away ! keep them in SEALED mini green houses! I get around 99% success so far. I Use RW for cuttings.
I transplant when I see roots.

The pot is way larger than necessary for a chile. 3" mesh pots are fine.

You will find that one of the reasons hydro plants thrive is that they don't need a lot of roots to get food.

I've seen Bhut plants get 6 feet tall. I'm sure for a hab or similar chilli a 3" would be fine. I didn't want to take chances. People grow these plants in 20 gallon pots.

rockwool cubes workin fine here atm for seeds,Can get more into a Minigreenhosue than Jiffies toooooo.. but i Love the 75ml cubes as heaps of lil pots and soil and jiffies and get screamed at "ya Keeep bringing Dirt into the House" they Square so fit better together than Pots, plus can keep in for a while till figureout what to do with..

chock bhut seeds in 25ml rockwool cubes (2 in each of a few to see if works)Fatali's and 7 Pod trnsplanted into 75 ml cubes
rockwoll1.jpg

Bhut seeds work too in rockwool..
rockwoll2.jpg

jiffies Ok, but Pricey in comparison to slabs of rockwool cubes (even when buy 1000) get them @ 17c each, rockwool 30 slabs $3 10c each..

must be the camera or refection off the wall (Hey same panelling as my Office, Nice) But the glow looks like HPS, Orangish. But can see from the Ballast its missing the Igniter, If ya Put 1 of those and a Switch on the Ballast, then just need a HPS bulb, hit the switch and Ya got ya Flowering cycle as well.. (get some1 to do whos qualified though) :)

theHippySeedCo said:
must be the camera or refection off the wall (Hey same panelling as my Office, Nice) But the glow looks like HPS, Orangish. But can see from the Ballast its missing the Igniter, If ya Put 1 of those and a Switch on the Ballast, then just need a HPS bulb, hit the switch and Ya got ya Flowering cycle as well.. (get some1 to do whos qualified though) :)

Yeah it's def a MH. I got a 400w HPS fixture with ballast and the works for $10 from a guy down the street. The guy gave me a used bulb...I'm thinking i may need a new one. How long does a MH last for growing??

Back