• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2 Questions....

Josh, I grow about 10 pubescens a year and my best plants for me were the ones that had only about 3 hours of direct sun in the AM and then another 4 hrs of intermittent sun coming thru a shadow box fence. They did awesome until my 1 1/2 yr old decided he would mangle them up for me. Even the ones in the back of the garden last year that got shade first as the sun was setting did better than the ones that got a few hours more sun. This year i will plant the pubes in the back of the garden only. Hope that helps.

PepperLover said:
thats right omri last year i had 12 rocotos and they were in full sun and they all died so this year i will make sure they stay in cool area away from heat and sun

thepodpiper said:
Josh, I grow about 10 pubescens a year and my best plants for me were the ones that had only about 3 hours of direct sun in the AM and then another 4 hrs of intermittent sun coming thru a shadow box fence. They did awesome until my 1 1/2 yr old decided he would mangle them up for me. Even the ones in the back of the garden last year that got shade first as the sun was setting did better than the ones that got a few hours more sun. This year i will plant the pubes in the back of the garden only. Hope that helps.

Hmm you may have been out voted Tony haha. I am unsure again. Thanks for the input guys.

Weather is funny.I lived in Virginia for 25 years.I recall a couple times when it reached over 100'.I'm thinking at least 105'
I've been in the Tampa Bay area for ,well,this will be 15 years.Its hot,its humid mostly also.It has never reached 100' in the Tampa Bay region.Kinda funny.We do have a rewlentless sun and I'll be using some shadecloth on my Rocotos!

Josh said:
Hmm you may have been out voted Tony haha. I am unsure again. Thanks for the input guys.

Josh, I think you'll be fine no matter what you do regarding sun. Just wait to pollinate until the afternoons and when you have a bunch of flowers. Take from the flowers with lots of pollen and distribute from there. Use a dark bristle small wet brush. It's really easy and only takes a few minutes. You'll see the results 3-4 days later with pods starting to form.

bigt said:
Josh, I think you'll be fine no matter what you do regarding sun. Just wait to pollinate until the afternoons and when you have a bunch of flowers. Take from the flowers with lots of pollen and distribute from there. Use a dark bristle small wet brush. It's really easy and only takes a few minutes. You'll see the results 3-4 days later with pods starting to form.

I will have to try that. Approximately how many pods should I expect on it this first season?

Josh said:
I will have to try that. Approximately how many pods should I expect on it this first season?

You know, if you start early, I'm not sure. My 1st year I was slow to figure it out. I had pods on everything except my Manzanos, which had tons of flowers, but no pods. After I did some research and got the brush, they took off. I'm thinking at least 100 pods per plant, I believe I had more than that last year when the plants were on the 2nd year. I know they kept cranking out pods until I pulled them inside in December. And I don't even remember hand pollinating any late in the year, so maybe they learn or just do it themselves when it gets cooler. I know I have a ton of pods still in the freezer and these two plants are already huge in early May with new growth starting everywhere. I'm pretty much sick of that pepper and everything that gets cranked out this year will be powder.

Back