• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2009 season

I will grow more than one of varieties that I want as many peppers as possible from, but like RB only one each of the rest.

Figuring the new garden area is 18' X 60', I just laid the new garden out and I can fit 164 plants there if they are on 27" centers and leaving walking area between rows. This is approximate because the drawing is not exactly to scale.

2009newgardenlayout.jpg

Looks like it'll be a jungle! Can't wait to see it!

...but shouldn't there be some space inbetween the pots, too?

Chiliac said:
Looks like it'll be a jungle! Can't wait to see it!

...but shouldn't there be some space inbetween the pots, too?

If they are on 27" centers, meaning 27" between stems, that will be OK I think...the closeness of the plants will allow them to support each other...

AlabamaJack said:
Figuring the new garden area is 18' X 60', I just laid the new garden out and I can fit 164 plants there

Nice AJ, although, it also could double as a diagram for the defenses to the entrance of a fortress. I think you should install a flagpole in the middle of your raised bed and fly a chili flag from it.

Can't wait to see it...

Wow AJ looks like a great plan! I did a similar thing this year with a double row of pots, but next year I'll plant the pots further apart, started off great but later on in the season the plants got a little mildew, and looked like they would be happier further apart!.

Biscombe said:
I did a similar thing this year with a double row of pots, but next year I'll plant the pots further apart, started off great but later on in the season the plants got a little mildew, and looked like they would be happier further apart!.

So what distance would you recommend? This was my first year and I put the plants 3 feet apart in all directions (I only had 4). It worked well but next year they will be tighter because I plan on growing a lot more.

I leave a little space inbetween at first and move them further apart later if necessary.

This is right after transplanting:

trans08-08.jpg

and some months later:

DSC02450.jpg

Please ignore the hoods on this pic! They could be closer together, but I had the room, because I was only growing about 80 plants.

I bought a pack of chilli peppers - that were mostly mild ones like Jalapenos and a big carrot sized one.

The seeds from those went into seed pots and into the airing cupboard on top of the hot water cylinder. A week or so later they have been taken out as they have germinated. My mild ones are Chrissy pressies for nieces and nephews cos they wont kill them and Chillis are fun plants to grow.

The 7 pot seeds are still in the cupboard keeping warm, and pondering their germination future. Id really like to see them pop in the next ten days.

Josh said:
Nice AJ, although, it also could double as a diagram for the defenses to the entrance of a fortress. I think you should install a flagpole in the middle of your raised bed and fly a chili flag from it.

Can't wait to see it...

Where are you putting the machine gun emplacements?

no need for machine guns...the claymores are on movement sensitive triggers...got three rabbits last week...at least I think that was rabbit fur .... ;)

Last year, when I ploanted them in dirt, I spaced them about 20" apart. The only plant that overlapped any others was an orange hab.

Mostly, it depends on the plant you are growing. I could put the jalapenos and Hot Wax 18" apart and have plenty of room - their footprint is not very large.

It's like growing toms - the beefsteak and such need at least 32 inches between stems to grow, 36 is better. With green sausage, anything over 15" is a waste of space.

Mike

Back