• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2009 season

I'm back and the 2009 season is underway for me. Just planted 3 seed trays yesterday of the slow to germinate chinenses

so far I have planted

fatalii
Aji chombo
Naga morrich
Aji umba yellow
chocolate hab
jamacian bonnett
7 pot
paper lantern
yellow hab
red hab
trinidad perfume
red thick hab
brown bonnett
pi 536097
comgo trinidad

and some others

aji hab
aji cristal
inca red drop
pimenta cambuci
fish pepper
aji benito

I know its early, but any one else started yet?

macmanmatty said:
I know its early, but any one else started yet?

Only in the planning stage.

For 2009 I will be expanding from my measly 3 varieties to a less measly
(but still kinda measley) 7 varieties.

Naga Morich

Caribbean Red Habanero

Fatalii

Thai Red

Serrano

Hungarian Hot Wax

Poblano

Sort of a broad cross section from very hot to extremely mild

Yeah, we alsmost had the first killing frost of the season last night, no more than a week to go - at most. I'm watering my plants now hoping to finish off a few pods and give the 7-8 I plan on overwintering a good drink.

Next year, I'll be growing way fewer types (I had about 45 this year) but more of the better producers. Except for the ones I'm keeping in pots, next year they will all go into the ground. Even the ones in containers will be buried in dirt up to near the top of the pot.

Mike

That's a good growing list you have there macmanmatty.

I have a large number of chillis in the ground and about 4 in pots... They got planted a few weeks ago and we hopefully are going to have a good summer.....Not that it is good at the moment, about 10 degrees C and pouring rain... :beer:

I hope we Aussie's don't end up having a summer like a lot of you guys had this year. It rained all summer last year for us and i will cry if we get that again.....

moyboy said:
That's a good growing list you have there macmanmatty.

I have a large number of chillis in the ground and about 4 in pots... They got planted a few weeks ago and we hopefully are going to have a good summer.....Not that it is good at the moment, about 10 degrees C and pouring rain... :lol:

I hope we Aussie's don't end up having a summer like a lot of you guys had this year. It rained all summer last year for us and i will cry if we get that again.....

Hope you guys have a good one to.Where having our summer in the autumn :beer:

I started already for 2009. I have several Fatali's, a couple red savina's, a couple bhut jolokia's, a couple jamacian scotch bonnet's, a jamacian hot chocolate, a white habanero,a tepin, a couple red pete's, and one trinidad scorpion growing right now.

I have some 7 pot and some scorpion I will be starting around January, and then about February I will start my jalapenos, serranos and the cayenne's.

March will be the poblanos, hot banana, big jims, and the "green" peppers. Red, yellow, and green.

That's the schedule I have made, looks like we might get one helluva cold winter here...just feels like it.:beer:

BigDogDaddy said:
I started already for 2009. I have several Fatali's, a couple red savina's, a couple bhut jolokia's, a couple jamacian scotch bonnet's, a jamacian hot chocolate, a white habanero,a tepin, a couple red pete's, and one trinidad scorpion growing right now.

I have some 7 pot and some scorpion I will be starting around January, and then about February I will start my jalapenos, serranos and the cayenne's.

March will be the poblanos, hot banana, big jims, and the "green" peppers. Red, yellow, and green.

That's the schedule I have made, looks like we might get one helluva cold winter here...just feels like it.:beer:

Good solid list there and well thought out..Just got may first Hot bananas in and they taste great,The rest nearly ripe,But have taken a lot longer than i expected :lol:

I will start around x-mas/nye. If I'd start now the plants would get too mig to fit them all under the lights. I need a few more seeds and then I'll be fine, I already bought everything else I need to start my seeds.

I will be stating seeds around the middle of January...here is what I have bought....

Biker Billy Hybrid
Serrano
Jalapeno Heaven Hybrid
Scotch Bonnet
Bulgarian Carrot
Kung Pao Hybrid
Cascabel
Purple Serrano
Grande Hybrid
Hungarian Wax
Gonden Greek Pepperoncini
Fatalii
Ancho San Luis
Chile de Arbol
Habanero Brown
Golden Cayenne
Yellow Hungarian Wax
Red Manzano
Red Thai
Orange Thai
Peach Habanero
Caribbean Hot
Manzano
Yellow Thai
Yellow Manzano
Red Chickenheart
Hungarian Death
Martin's Carrot
Turks Turban
Scotch Bonnet
Bulls Horn
Basque
Yellow Chickenheart
Bih Jolokia
Dorset Naga
Naga Morich
Paper Lantern
Super Datil
Chocolate Habalokia

I am going to try and limit my varieties to about 60 this coming year...seeds I have from 7 Pot, Lemon Drop, Yellow T. Scorpion, Red T. Scorpion, Cherry Top, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Jolokia, Orange Hab, will also be planted if the plants do not make it through the overwintering project...

Nice selection my friend,Haven`t a clue what to grow next year yet,Apart from some hybrids ive done but must admit silly as it sounds im looking forward to growing Golden Greek Pepperoncini..lets hope the flavor is as good as i remember :onfire:

talas said:
Nice selection my friend,Haven`t a clue what to grow next year yet,Apart from some hybrids ive done but must admit silly as it sounds im looking forward to growing Golden Greek Pepperoncini..lets hope the flavor is as good as i remember :)

Why silly? I am looking forward to that one as well!

Lucky dog and I (as well as others I am sure) have learned that the super burners are great, but that a garden without lots of paprikas, pepperoncinis, and other seasoning type peppers is sorely lacking

Sky jerk's list is fairly well balanced for such a limited amount.

I have c.chinense out the ying yang this year. I will sorely miss home made paprika and jalapeno powder this winter. I have some, but not nearly enough.

I will have super burner powder (naga, scorpion, 7 pot) left in the spring.

cheezydemon said:
Lucky dog and I (as well as others I am sure) have learned that the super burners are great, but that a garden without lots of paprikas, pepperoncinis, and other seasoning type peppers is sorely lacking

Couldn't agree more. Growing the super hots is great fun and I will surely use them all, but a well balanced selection of peppers and powder isn't complete without a load of less hot peppers, given they have a great aroma etc... I'll definitely grow super hots again and I am always on the lookout for new varities, but some mild peppers are what I'll be growing more of next year like Champion, Lombardo, Pepperoncinis, bell peppers etc....

Chiliac said:
Couldn't agree more. Growing the super hots is great fun and I will surely use them all, but a well balanced selection of peppers and powder isn't complete without a load of less hot peppers, given they have a great aroma etc... I'll definitely grow super hots again and I am always on the lookout for new varities, but some mild peppers are what I'll be growing more of next year like Champion, Lombardo, Pepperoncinis, bell peppers etc....

I totally agree. I plan to start a lot more throughout the coming months up til january many more c. baccatum and some good stuffing c. annum that take a lot less time to germinate and grow.

I plan on planting only about 7 types next season but having many plants of each type.
but then again it'll most likely turn out to be more - you all know how that is :shocked:

Back