• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

2010 season Vincent (test year)

This year I'm also trying to grow other vegetables besides peppers. Some things are going ok but not everything. For some reason I can't seem to grow tomatoes and cucumbers, germination is no problem but after that they just get leggy and refuse to grow real leafs?? :(

Here are some things I grow that seem to go ok

Beetroots
beetroot.jpg

Green Beans
bean.jpg

Unions
unions.jpg

Odd. This is also my first year growing tomatoes from seeds and mine are all doing well.
My best ones, I started in coco coir and gave them nothing but water and sunlight, they're doing much better than peat puck started ones.
How did you start your tomato seeds?

I started the tomato seeds the same way as I do pepper seeds and that works perfect. germination rate is above 90%. After that the problem starts because the seedlings grow very long and refuse to produce true leafs. They have 14 hours of light per day and I make sure the substrate doesn't dry out, I keep it a little moist. Any ideas??

Silver_Surfer said:
Give them light 24/7 for the first month. What type tomato?

cherry toms, I'll try giving them more light next year

ABurningMouth said:
Too cold or too wet? Not enough air circulation?

It's not too cold I'm more concerned it may have been too hot. I'll try a small fan next season

POTAWIE said:
Tomatos can be quite fussy growing indoors. What kind of lighting and nutrients are you using?

Lighting was sunlight, next season I think I will try a 200Watt 8u 6500K Eco-Light to see if that helps. I didn't use any nutrients.

Back