• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2012 hardiness zone map

The hardiness zone map has been updated for 2012, the first update since 1990. I went from 5B to 6A. :party: Anyone else change zones?

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/

global warming and climate change is just a myth :whistle:

"Across the country, people will be seeing where there are some changes," says Catherine Woteki, Agriculture undersecretary for research, education and economics.
But she says the changes don't indicate permanent climate change. No section of the country changed more than half a zone, according to Woteki.
She says scientists used the latest complete data, adding they performed an analysis to see if incomplete data from the past five years would require alterations.
"We saw it would not change the map," she says.
The USDA website notes: "Climate changes are usually based on trends in overall average temperatures recorded over 50-100 years. Because the (new map) represents 30-year averages of what are essentially extreme weather events (the coldest temperature of the year), changes in zones are not reliable evidence of whether there has been global warming."

well here in canada... in the last 10 years we had 9 of the hottest in the last century...

and i see bugs and birds that i never saw in my life...

so it tells me that it's getting hotter, winter are milder and new virus, insect and anoying thing dosent die of cold anymore..
that,s not very good i think...

anyway i do what i can to help nature. but i cannot compete with big company ! ;)

I went from 7b to 8a...pineapples and avacados are still probably 10 years away if things keep going like they are. I'm looking forward to all the neat tropicals, but the mosquitos not dying in the winter could lead to some troublesome malaria outbreaks. There's a local nursery called Zone 7...I suppose you could change the sign pretty easily with a roll of black duct tape.

I'm hoping my change from 5b to 6a means my spring plant and bulb orders will now show up the week each year that I have time to plant in spring rather than the week after when they usually show up.

Doesn't mean much except for people who lived in areas that were just slightly too cold for peppers to overwinter outdoors... Basically means winters are a bit warmer than they were 20 years ago, so generally speaking, plants that are killed off by cold temperatures can grow a bit further north, and for plants that require a certain amount of chilling, their range has retreated a bit.

i also notice that the warmer period extend on both side (frost period is over earlier and cold in fall are postpone some weeks later.
Fruits like apples are ready earlier sometimes.

In my time living in New York I noticed the maple syrup season was getting shorter and shorter as the spring chill moved northward... pretty soon you Canadians will have all of the maple syrup.

:shocked: i had a huge jump i went from 6a-7b I knew these 110 degree summers would have an effect on our hardiness zone but why did we have snow in mid october :think:

XC aren't you in Mountville? That's where I am, and I think you may have read that wrong. We are 6B

Back