• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

2019 Xmas/New Years Food Prep.

Christmas on a Wednesday doesn’t have me too excited this year. No family flying in this year, so going low key with the wife and kids for the meal. And by meal I mean the standard two to three separate meals we make a night! I’m torn between a chili so I can relax, or elk or steelhead on the grill. They want turkey, probably ham, two of the kids probably would just be happy with chicken strips honestly...

Gonna keep an eye on this thread for ideas though!

our menu changed for christmas eve when we found out our kids would be off doing their own thing. while in the supermarket my wife saw that they had fresh clams so she picked up 3 dozen for a portuguese dish made with clams and pork. that may sound strange to some but it is "to die for", its that good. i scrub clams with a brush to remove any sand and she does the rest. 

Carne de Porco à Alentejana

clams scrubbed free of sand.
20191224_170919_resized.jpg

lean thin sliced pork loin seared in olive oil with fresh garlic.
20191224_165449_resized.jpg

fries are a part of the dish so here are cubed potatoes getting fried.
20191224_172017_resized.jpg

when pork is seared you  add the clams and cook just till all clams open. 

cook them any longer and they get tough. 
20191224_172954_resized.jpg

serving bowl with fries added.
20191224_173106_resized.jpg

my plate with cowhorn powder added and portuguese bread to soak up the clam juice. 
20191224_173427_resized.jpg

this last pic shows the sauce in the plate. the only liquid used is a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to sear the pork. all the liquid is from the clams and is delicious when soaked into the bread and the fries. i could eat this twice a week and never get tired of it. 
20191224_174247_resized.jpg

Merry Christmas all.  :cheers:

We just ate some of the best tamales we have ever had!  We frequent a small panaderia and have become fairly close to the family owners.  They came in this morning and made a dozen and a half mole tamales for us!  Everyone here is happily stuffed :)

I wish everyone a Merriest Holidays and the best year for 2020!!! <3

Garlic Parm bread (extra garlic) and green bean casserole topped with bread crumbs and fried shallots.
tIkWdQN.jpg

6.33lb USDA Prime Ribeye roast...went boneless this year.
tIuoUGI.jpg

MrSCTlR.jpg

Massive portabella caps with Parm, garlic, shallot butter, tiny bit of sliced red onion and crossed with Swiss Emmental cheese. Outside rubbed down in butter and avocado oil.
ybsITYn.jpg

Baked russet taters and white shoe peg corn....not pictured yet.

for christmas day with my daughters and my granddaughter here we did a glazed spiral cut ham and the usual fixings. i took only finished pics of the ham and my plate but not pictured was brussel sprouts, carrots, green and black olives, pickles and sweet potatoes with marshmallow. i got some scotch bonnet jam in my Secret Satan box and wanted to try it so used it on the ham and it was very tasty with nice flavor and heat. thanks again jedisushi06! :cheers:

20191225_134742_resized.jpg

20191225_134801_resized.jpg

20191225_140113_resized.jpg

20191225_141727_resized.jpg

In the home stretch now. Its resting and the sides are in the oven. Pulled at 120F because i like rare to medium rare. Cover with foil and a couple towels until it peaks and falls back to around 120F or so. It should peak to around 135F roughly. Last years roast went to 125F and peaked around 140F. It was cooked just slightly more than i like so im not chancing it with a USDA Prime at nearly $15/lb
0l1goLW.jpg

HyMqTKd.jpg

i did a beef wellington.

from out to in:
  • puff pastry,
  • filo dough (extra moisture barrier)),
  • prosciutto,
  • spiced chestnut paste,
  • prosciutto,
  • duxelles (cremini, butter, shallot, garlic, wine, cream, thyme, pepper),
  • cognac mustard (available on amazon.. it's my favorite mustard ever!),
  • 2.5lb prime center cut tenderloin (châteaubriand cut)
seared tenderloin

Sx3tMOd.jpg

sous vide, 122°F, about 2h

oc5TGGN.jpg

duxelles on the left, spiced chestnuts on the right
good drinks are critical to the process

FviSxpg.jpg

assembly

jgilW1a.jpg

chillin in the fridge waiting

y5Wvof5.jpg

brushed with egg wash, sprinkled with salt. time to bake!

ze7G0nd.jpg

looking good

NHnhgQj.jpg

RifCiV1.jpg

VLdogTr.jpg

merry xmas!

Back