• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2022 - too early to get started...

My real start of the season is still months away but I couldn't resist to put something in the soil already - Tasmanian Black! :dance:

P1020814.jpg

any help? I've used this seed company before and the seeds have been good and delivery is fast

Marc I've removed the link, it occurred to me it was a link to my account on there :lol: Can message you the company if you need it

Last edited:
Overwintering plants are flushing out really well. I may soon need scissors to keep them under control. Flower buds are already forming...

Rear left is Scotch Brains, Rear right the Schneider farms SB, center front is the HSH SB...

20221101 123257 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.80 ISO200 P1000355.JPG

Then we have the seedlings (πŸ€”) for the 2023 season...

The SB7J on the left and 7pot brainstrain yellow on the right, both already flowering...
20221101 123433 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.00 ISO200 P1000356.JPG

20221101 123455 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.00 ISO200 P1000357.JPG

Then there's the KSLS (left) and the young Schneider Farms SB (right), both also starting to gain considerable in size...
20221101 123656 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.00 ISO200 P1000359.JPG

20221101 123717 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.00 ISO200 P1000360.JPG

And last but not least, the Schocolate SB...
20221101 123857 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f1.80 ISO200 P1000361.JPG

20221101 123921 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.80 ISO200 P1000362.JPG

Actually this wasn't the last of the bunch. I still have a Jay's peach and red ghost scorpion growing but both are still in the seedling stage so there's not much to see. I will grow out the peach but the red may still be replaced by something else if something comes up (peter pepper maybe? πŸ€” :seeya:)

What started as a little experiment turned out to be a success 😎
I made my 3rd batch of pineapple-scotch-bonnet-jam today.

Ingredients (without the apples)... and I forgot to add the scotch bonnets to the picture πŸ™„ there should be 3 of them...
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2022-10-29 om 19.46.06.jpg

Pineapple-scotch-bonnet puree after blending...
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2022-11-01 om 09.10.41.jpg

Add a spoonful of sugar...
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2022-11-01 om 09.13.37.jpg

A little stir and...

...done!
Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2022-11-01 om 09.42.41.jpg

Sweet and delicious with a nice heat!

Overwintering plants, yet the Schoten weather report says 16ºC 🧐

If you would ever come across jackfruit in Schoten, I can guarantee you that it combines very well with pineapple (1:1). I even prefer it without chile (don't shoot me now).

Yep, I know... about a month ago it started to get very wet and colder and I figured it was time to start taking the overwinterers inside. But then it got hot again (for the time of the year) but the plants were already inside, prepared against pests and stuff, so I don't want to bring them outside anymore. In the mean time the other plants that were left outside are still doing well. Pods are all cracked open though probably because of excess of rain...

I have no experience with jackfruit... what's it like?

Equal amount of fruit and sugar by weight. The sugar used is specifically for jam making, it contains pectin. Only needs 4 minutes of boiling to set. In this case I had a total fruit weight of 800 grams so I added 800 grams of the sugar.

Ingredients:
Fruit flesh of an entire pineapple
Juice of one lime
3 schneider farms scotch bonnets, seeds and placenta removed.
+ total of above weight in sugar.

I prefer to use my schneider farms scotch bonnets because of their neutral taste.

Takes little time to make. Most of the required time goes in the cleaning of the pineapple πŸ™‚

Last edited:
I like the sound of this chilli pineapple jammyness - you think it would work with tinned pineapple?

I have no experience with jackfruit... what's it like?

πŸ‘Œ

Taste is difficult to describe... It combines elements from mango, pineapple, banana, citric fruits (without the acid), and is rather sweet. This is the thefern entry. I buy fruits on the local farmers' market for M$60-80. I found that some guy payed €199 for a complete jackfruit in Delhaize.
Be careful if you're allergic to birch trees, because jackfruit may also cause an allergic reaction in you (cross-reaction). I'm allergic to birch and found out the hard way. Two pieces of jackfruit and my throat was closing. No allergic reaction is triggered after cooking the fruit, at least for me.

I don't think I have ever seen it in our local Delhaize... πŸ€”

This resurrection thread reminds me or a conversation I had today, with a friend,that wants to grow some scotch bonnets. She says the flavor is unique. I am thinking next year… which will start in a few months.

Resurrection thread? πŸ€”
Scotch bonnets are good and some are better than others. Depends on personal taste of course. I prefer those with the mildest chinense taste πŸ˜‰

My "next year" has already started even though it's too early... 😁

Last edited:
Taste test done. I picked one nice specimen of each variety and ate a couple of pieces without placenta. These are my findings...

Walton farm : neutral taste, maybe a little floral
TFM : good initial taste, a bit sour/bitter towards the end
Papa dreadie : initially sweet, floral/bitter towards the end

This is (coincidentally) also my order of preference. I didn't include the scotch brains (not) red as I know from previous tast tests that it tastes very floral.

Nice display of Scotch Bonnets but wheres MOA? :think: Only experience I have with Scotch bonnets is MOA and Papa Dread. Papa Dread is a Chinese/Annuum cross if I'm not mistaken. That Scotch Brains looks awesome, probably too hot for me though.

Still have to try the MOA one day. Started it this season but the grow list was too full already and got cancelled again... grow list is always larger than grow space here... πŸ™„

Scotch brains have been turned into powder. They are quite a bit hotter indeed. I put my powders in jars but they aren't labeled. Put some powder generously in my soup recently and found out that it had to be the scotch brains powder πŸ˜„ that was some really hot soup!

Didn't know that PD is a hybrid... πŸ€”

Back