seed-train 2023-2024 Mega seed train!

Hey, gotta question for the Seed train riders. Last year on the train, I grabbed some seeds labelled "Black Pearl x (Uchu x CM) Non Mutant". They were put on the train by RHCP. I tried to germinate some this year and it seems like some of them popped looking like mutants. Does that make sense? Can mutant seeds come from a pod that came from a plant that didn't show mutant traits but was a descendant of a mutant?
That's awesome! So they were labeled non-mutant because the seeds were initially from a mutant plant, I sowed them and out popped a non-mutant plant. I then harvested and labeled it as non-mutant even though those genes remain, but from my experience, the possibility of a mutant from that point forward becomes less and less.

Backcrossing it to its recurrent parent with the elite genotype or to genetically similar stock will restore the elite genotype of that offspring. Otherwise, you’ll eventually lose the elite genotype in your plant through genetic recombination. It usually takes many backcrosses (lots of time) to restore and if the recurrent parent harbors any degree of the non-recurrent parent’s genetic order you’ll have a very slim chance at succeeding. It’s an interesting technique, but it requires as bunch of time.

I'm hoping to join the train this year - I finally have seeds to share! What I've understood is:

-- Seeds from plants I've grown this year
-- Be fair and kind (don't give everyone bell seeds and take all the 7 Pots)
-- Keep it moving and keep folks updated

Is that more or less the approach?

Will it work for folks that I'm not adding superhots? Is it okay that they're open-pollinated?

I'm hoping to join the train this year - I finally have seeds to share! What I've understood is:

-- Be fair and kind (don't give everyone bell seeds and take all the 7 Pots)
-- Keep it moving and keep folks updated

Is that more or less the approach?

Will it work for folks that I'm not adding superhots? Is it okay that they're open-pollinated?

I suspect @Jeffcontonio will be along in a few weeks to get the 2024 train rolling, but I think I can answer your questions. Jeff, if you want to add anything, please do.

Also, I suggest you read Jeff's "rules" in post #1 of this thread. There's lots of info/answers there.

So, here we go:

Yes, but you can include seeds/pods/powders from previous years as well. I think we're rolling with three years old, so 2022, 2023, and 2024. Also, you can include any commercial seed envelopes you no longer need. Lastly, although this is a pepper seed train, you may see an occasional tomato seed, or other comparable, small seeded items show up. But remember, this is primarily a PEPPER seed train. Personally, I'd be happy to look through your tomato seed contributions as well, lol, but that's just me.

-- Be fair and kind (don't give everyone bell seeds and take all the 7 Pots) - Yup

-- Keep it moving and keep folks updated - Yup
Is that more or less the approach? - Yup
Will it work for folks that I'm not adding superhots? - Yup. In years past, I've noticed that peppers I've added, ranging from sweet up to medium heat, have been hit hard. Some are entirely gone. Super hots, not so much. Just my observation.

Is it okay that they're open-pollinated? - Yup. Most varieties are open-pollinated and non-isolated. Known crosses are also ok, as long as they are identified as such. Accidental crosses are always possible, but that's part of the mystic of the Train!

Hope this helps a little. Any more questions, just throw them out there and somebody will answer.

Last edited:
Hey, gotta question for the Seed train riders. Last year on the train, I grabbed some seeds labelled "Black Pearl x (Uchu x CM) Non Mutant". They were put on the train by RHCP. I tried to germinate some this year and it seems like some of them popped looking like mutants. Does that make sense? Can mutant seeds come from a pod that came from a plant that didn't show mutant traits but was a descendant of a mutant?
In case you are curious what the mother plant looked like. I was able to find a picture taken during a late night watering.
Black Pearl x (Uchu x CM) Non Mutant - Copy.jpeg

Back