• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2023 grow has started!

I just got back from India, so I’m starting a week or two later than normal.

Pictured are Surti Marcha or Surat Chili, supposedly the hottest chili used in Gujarat. I’m excited to try and grow some. As they are very similar to Thai chillies, most people wouldn’t be as excited as me to grow them, especially the super-hot only people. I’m very excited though!

Attachments

• 765628DA-998C-47DF-9EBD-B2B471F80802.jpeg
    765628DA-998C-47DF-9EBD-B2B471F80802.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 1,130
Chilli Pakora (and other types of pakora) with a side of fried chillies. Also a chili plant of some kind growing in the landscaping next to the Pakora stand. Surat, Gujarat, India.

Attachments

• DE03FC9E-CC1E-4C80-9F31-2F91BF1B3EBC.jpeg
    DE03FC9E-CC1E-4C80-9F31-2F91BF1B3EBC.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 80
  • EC557C27-915B-467A-A462-3E61A0C5B49C.jpeg
    EC557C27-915B-467A-A462-3E61A0C5B49C.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 76
  • B309D0E3-90C4-4991-AF0A-68A423088F2B.jpeg
    B309D0E3-90C4-4991-AF0A-68A423088F2B.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 77
Sounds like you had a nice trip IJ. The food looks delicious.

Not much out there on the Surti Marcha chili. Good looking pepper.

Best of luck with your 2023 grow!

Sounds like you had a nice trip IJ. The food looks delicious.

Not much out there on the Surti Marcha chili. Good looking pepper.

Best of luck with your 2023 grow!
Yeah, not much at all! I don't even know if they grow upwards or downwards. They certainly did have some good heat and pungent flavor though. They are sold green, but I did manage to find some partially ripened, so fingers crossed that the seeds were mature.

I just got back from India, so I’m starting a week or two later than normal.

Pictured are Surti Marcha or Surat Chili, supposedly the hottest chili used in Gujarat. I’m excited to try and grow some. As they are very similar to Thai chillies, most people wouldn’t be as excited as me to grow them, especially the super-hot only people. I’m very excited though!
Those types excite me too. :) You're not the only one.

Chris

Update:

Everything is going pretty good so far despite battling a thrip infestation (thank you Spinosad and Orius Pirate bugs for helping me).

Moved outside:
Maule's Red Hot
Bangalore Torpedo
Surti marcha
Mexican Sunset F1
Orange habanero

Grow tent:
Wiri wiri
Serrano Tampiqueno
Surti Marcha
Kashvin
Baily Pequin
Rooster Spur

Tabletop grow light:
Quickfire F1

Photo updates to come someday.

Did the dalle khursani seeds not work out?

Really curious about those ever since i saw a couple videos of Nepali growers' back yards filled with just that one variety... lots of ppl sure seem enthisiastic about it

Did the dalle khursani seeds not work out?

Really curious about those ever since i saw a couple videos of Nepali growers' back yards filled with just that one variety... lots of ppl sure seem enthisiastic about it
Unfortunately they did not. I suspected that they were smoke dried, so my expectations were low.

Smoke drying by itself should not be a problem. I have grown multiple plants from seeds extracted from smoke dried chilies myself. It's more the temperature at which they are dried that may causes the seeds to die...

Smoke drying by itself should not be a problem. I have grown multiple plants from seeds extracted from smoke dried chilies myself. It's more the temperature at which they are dried that may causes the seeds to die...
Yeah I know, that's why I at least gave them a try. Must be the temp was too high for these ones to stay viable.

Back