• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting 27 Aug 2008 harvest pic

Hey everyone! This is today's harvest. It's either feast or famine with peppers. Here is what I picked today:

swsk6o.jpg

Clockwise, from upper left, we have:
6 Barney
9 Datil
1 Chiltepin
2 Ammazzo
3 Brazilian Starfish
8 Bolivian Rainbow
28 Firecracker (according to pepperjoe)
60 Thai Sun (approx)

I love Datils so much that I feel the need to show them in greater detail:

259veco.jpg

The Thai Sun plant is the biggest producer. I don't know if it will be interesting to anyone, so just for giggles, I thought I'd share my yield for the summer so far. I am keeping a spreadsheet with the totals, and yes I'm a complete geek:

Thai Sun = 251
Firecracker = 129
Jalapeno M = 38
Bolivian Rainbow = 44
Poblano = 7
Barney = 19
Datil = 16
Ammazzo = 24
Pimento = 6
Habanero = 8
Chiltepin = 3
Charleston = 0
Tabasco = 0
Starfish = 4
Total = 549

This is accurate give or take a few that I have plucked prior to being ripe for taste-testing. I had a "Long Slim Red Cayenne" that the wind snapped in half, so I have missed out on that one. It was one of the earlier producers, but it got killed before anything ripened.

So far, I believe that I am only going to over-winter the Datil and the Habanero. If anyone is local to the Baltimore/DC area, let me know if you want to take any of the rest of the plants at the end of the season.

Nice Yummy Harvest you have. Thanks for sharing photos.
My Datil failed to germinate this year. Will definitely try it again next year. Be aware, Bolivian Rainbow is full of seeds.

Are my friend a Datil fan you have my respect already lol..Great set of pods there and looks like its been a good year to you and pictures of lots of Datils is always good :)

Nice looking chillies! I noticed you have had no tabasco's yet, is that because they have not flowered yet? I planted 30 and one plant grew and it doesn't look too good, no sign of flowers of anything, planted on 1st March! Wondered if it was a hard variety to grow?
Keeping a database is a great way of keeping track of your most productive species.

Hey Steve nice peppers really like the Datil myself. Don't give up on the Tabasco they grow more peppers the bigger they get, I have a huge bush that was overwintered last year. Hope you don't mind the pic and welcome to THP!
IMG_0965.jpg

Your tabasco plant looks great! Mine is in a 3 gallon pot, and it's fairly tall, but it is certainly not bushy. There are plenty of peppers on the plant for its size, and they have not completely ripened yet. One pepper is close, while the rest are still the same light green or yellow that many of yours are. I hope the red ones have much more flavor than the green ones!

By the way, when we get past these clouds and rain, I'm going to do a four month update on my plants. My Charleston plant has really gotten lighter in color, and I am wondering why. Some of those peppers are starting to finally ripen. Next year, I'm concentrating solely on Chinense peppers. Datil, Fatalii, Naga Jolokia, Peach Hab, Tobago Seasoning, and orange hab.

They do.... I had 2 Tabasco's last season and they produced like crazy.

I had them in the ground and they both reached 5 foot high and about 4 foot round.... was scary.:lol:

When they are ripe they taste great, and they hit you really hard very quickly. It's pretty cool.

Tabasco

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey Steve nice peppers really like the Datil myself. Don't give up on the Tabasco they grow more peppers the bigger they get, I have a huge bush that was overwintered last year. Hope you don't mind the pic and welcome to THP!
IMG_0965.jpg

Damn that Tabasco looks amazing so Prolific :)

Back