• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media 2nd best media to Pro-Mix Soil

So it appears that I can't come accross Pro-Mix soil in my neck of the woods. I live in California the central coast. I would like to know what would be the 2nd best thing to Pro-Mix soil. There is a HomeDepot and Orchard Hardware Supply that sell gardning supplies. My seeds have started to sprout so I need to change them to bigger pots.

So it appears that I can't come accross Pro-Mix soil in my neck of the woods. I live in California the central coast. I would like to know what would be the 2nd best thing to Pro-Mix soil. There is a HomeDepot and Orchard Hardware Supply that sell gardning supplies. My seeds have started to sprout so I need to change them to bigger pots.

Try Fox Farms! They have really good stuff!

I know you're a little under the gun, but have you asked if Home Depot can bring in Pro-Mix for you? My Home Depot stocks it and I know of other Home Depot's that do too...

Try Fox Farms! They have really good stuff!
any idea where I can find products from Fox Farms?
I know you're a little under the gun, but have you asked if Home Depot can bring in Pro-Mix for you? My Home Depot stocks it and I know of other Home Depot's that do too...
I asked home depot and they can't order it for. I even tried placing an order online but it would not let me.

Fox Farms to start out with, then I would go to Humbolt soils once they get bigger.... If you go with Humbolt right away, you will kill your plants, the nutes in that soil are too hot for babies!

Fox Farms to start out with, then I would go to Humbolt soils once they get bigger.... If you go with Humbolt right away, you will kill your plants, the nutes in that soil are too hot for babies!
I don't think I will find Humbolt around here either. I called a local nursery and they carry a Sunshine Pro Premium Potting soil. Anyone know if this soil is ok? http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=1163&brand_id=23

I have used the Sunshine Pro stuff quite a bit with no problems. It is one brand that is available to me locally. You could certainly order online the Fox Farm products and possibly even have a dealer near you. This link shows quite a few CA locations.

Good luck, Mike

http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/buyfox_consumer_map.html

sunshine mix is fine, i've used it a bit. fafard's products are fine too.

my number one choice is metromix 360 however- i prefer it to promix as well.

i have been using sunshine growers mix#4 and so far so good! but i hear Farfard is good too! as long as the soil is well draining and you figure how often to water you will be good to go

I have used the Sunshine Pro stuff quite a bit with no problems. It is one brand that is available to me locally. You could certainly order online the Fox Farm products and possibly even have a dealer near you. This link shows quite a few CA locations.

Good luck, Mike

http://foxfarmfertil...nsumer_map.html
WOW found a place locally that carries Fox Farm. I'm assuming its better than the sunshine soil. Going to pick some up tomorrow. Thanks all of you for your help.

Most of the peat based mixes are great, some just have more filler than others. Try making your own mix, it can be cheaper and even better

I know sears has pro mix if you have a sears store around.
just checked online and my local Sears does not carry pro mix. Actually I made my own dirt, I copied Pepper -Guru's recipe. I still might try a few pots with Fox Farm to compare the soils.

htgsupply.com ships pro-mix and others. they're legitimate. they ship fast though paying shipping for dirt is kinda lame lol..well, ok, its vermiculite/peat but that still looks like dirt to me. making your own mix if used indoors is a pain. you would be suggested (not required) to sterilize it and recolonize with bacteria. you dont want to deal with indoor pests that are naturally killed outdoors.

MHz

HD and Lowes usually carry the peat Pro-Mix brick that you mix with compost and vermiculite to create your own. It costs 10-20 dollars. I saw Fox Farm at an ACE once, but 20 dollars for a bag of soil is pushing it. It is composted with seaweed though which is nice but its very strong for new growth from what I read, I dont have experience with it. I'm surprised that if HD/Lowes carry the Promix that nobody else carries anything other than Scotts Miracle Grow (One bought the other about what, 2 years ago?) and all of it is the same product over and over. I hate it. No variety. A lot of these places dont see the benefits or the markets of specialty soils but this is more than just plants, its a hobby that can be pretty serious lol. If you want to grow the hottest pepper, you got to have pretty rich soil. I've been making my own compost for two years but I would never bring it inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Scorpion_Butch_T_pepper but who eats that shit anyway.

Back