• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

3/5King's 2013 ZING!-Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 "If The Boat's a Rockin'....."

we're still Alive!.....now let's get back to growing peppers.

So I decided to start Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 instead of continuing last year’s Glog. This way everything can stay nice and tidy.

If you want to see my shenanigans from last season, CLICK http://thehotpepper....sy35kings-2012/

I’m excited…the season is upon us! (Well except for those that live on the other side of the hemisphere; you bastards have been growing for months!)(Mezo…lol)

Let’s see, where to start….well, I hope everyone’s year is starting out right. I know everyone’s year can’t be going well, so a prayer will go out to all of you that are having a not so good 2013. Me…I’m alive and still ambitious, so I’ll be alright.

On to the plants; well, I started some plants back in November…here I was being hopeful to the extreme..thinking I would have some nice plants to give away around Christmas or the new year….that was my first mistake circa 2013..

I did something wrong (like usual) listed below will be the list of seeds I started and what my setup consists of....(Like it says above…peppin’ ain’t easy)

Seeds 2013 (started Nov. 17, 2012)

Carolina Reaper
Bubble Gum 7pot
Explosive Ember
FireCracker
Red Missle
Purple Puru
Orange Starbust
Cappezoli
Brazilian Starfish

More coming…

Soil

Pro-Mix Organic with sea based compost

Nutrients

General Organics-Bio Thrive (gave first feeding at around 60 days old)

Grow Box/Light Setup

5- 6500 Kelvin 2750 Lumen 1- 2700 Kelvin 2750 Lumen (CFL’s) (Total: 16,500 Lumens)

5- Square foot growing area

Sides and roof lined with mylar bubble wrap (Like the stuff you line your basements with for insulation)

Plants are 4-10 Inches away from lights (depending on how big they are)

Bottom Watered

Foliar fed with bio thrive (every two to three days)

Side Note: (I did water the plants at about 30 days with the used water from my fish tank. I used this water for about 2 weeks and then went back to regular water for awhile)

Temps- 80-90 Degrees

So there you have it, this is the start to my 2012/13 season. Now to get on to the hiccups along the way…dang I forgot to mention the overwinter…I’ll get to that debacle in a minute.

Problems encountered; The plants started growing fine but as they got older, they just randomly dropping leaves (although it seems that the leaves that drop are the older leaves) Not from the bottom up or the top down, just random. Sometimes they drop when they are green, sometimes they drop after they have yellowed and some…some even just shrivel up and die on the plant..lol. This is a funky situation.

Also a lot of the plants seem to be stuck…like the plants look like they are getting older (stems getting thicker, mature leaves) but they aren’t really growing in size anymore. Now I can say that they A. Should have enough light at 3300 lumens a square foot B. Maybe they are too close or not close enough to the light.

My thoughts about the leaf drop: Possible that they are A. Getting too little of light (which shouldn’t be the case) B. They are getting burnt by hot spots from the bubble mylar or C. I have no idea…

Well, if you have any input or ideas as to why my situation is bucked up, please feel free to inform me.

Now for my overwinter; I brought in one Moruga for the winter. When I brought it in, it was thriving. New growth was popping up left and right. It was growing fast, so I asked Pepperguru what I should do. He told me I could just clip it like a bonsai tree. Well…the plant had shot a lot of branched out of the main trunk, before the split. So I cut most of those branches that had shot out, off and left all of the foliage above the first main split. After I did that, the plant didn’t do so well anymore. There really wasn’t anymore new growth and what was there although did get bigger, started to die and drop leaves. As well, the branches started to die from the top down. So I cut them back….everything started dying back more…so I cut it back more. Then one of my last (new) green branches had a dead leaf on it, so I went to pull it off and with barely any pressure, the whole branch pulled right off the plant! Hahahaha…I laughed so hard and then immediately used some cutting gel and stuck it in some soil. The pics you see below are what’s left…..ah haha, It makes me laugh so hard.

So there you have it. I know this was/is a lot to read but I wanted to be thorough lol. This way everyone’s questions are answered before they are asked and you all get an idea of where I’m at and what it took to get here.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN 2013!! Now for the pics..

SOME LEAVES THAT DROPPED
IMG_6587.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6586.jpg

CAROLINA REAPER
IMG_6584.jpg

EXPLOSIVE EMBER
IMG_6582.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6578.jpg

BUBBLEGUM 7
IMG_6575.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6573.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6572.jpg

MORUGA OVERWINTER
IMG_6571.jpg

MORUGA CUTTING
IMG_6570.jpg

Yowza, 'King - your garden is lookin' really good!
You gonna have a good grow, my friend!

Trippa said:
Nice shots ... that choc scorpion looks like it is going to be a nasty pod!

Explosive Embers are not bad ... not good but not bad.  Pretty hot, but have a bitterness to them that is the bane of most ornamentals unfortunately apart from the purple tiger in my experience.

As Shane said ... not bad dried though (as is the case with many bitter pods it seems)
Thanks Trippa! I have high hopes for this plant. I'm going to pick and dry all of those suckers then. Maybe mix them in with a sweeter variety hot pepper to balance things out.
PaulG said:
Yowza, 'King - your garden is lookin' really good!
You gonna have a good grow, my friend!
High hopes Paul high hopes lol thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out.
Dot Com said:

yeah, I think homefry319 will do well here. :cool:

I have to start using the "BUMP PLEASE" on my Glog :D
Haha, yes he will. I know, who only has 10 pics to post??? Sheesh

Pods are growing up fast but This is my second rodeo so I know that it's a farce and to sit on my hands for awhile longer...

I need to make another compost tea (and a machine that creates me some more time...ye know)

I signed up for another 10k this Saturday and a 7k mud/obstacle run August 31st....that's it for awhile...my feet are calling me a terrorist...

I attempted 8 miles today.....and I was humbled. It was my own fault, I knew I needed more water and should have brought a snack/gels with...I can only carry 40oz with me at a time geez! I caved at 1hr 31mins and then it took me another 36 mins to walk the rest. My legs were aching like a sonofabitch.....welp I know how not to do it next time! I'll have to set myself some bottles along the run next time.

3/5King said:
I signed up for another 10k this Saturday and a 7k mud/obstacle run August 31st....that's it for awhile...my feet are calling me a terrorist...

I attempted 8 miles today.....and I was humbled. It was my own fault, I knew I needed more water and should have brought a snack/gels with...I can only carry 40oz with me at a time geez! I caved at 1hr 31mins and then it took me another 36 mins to walk the rest. My legs were aching like a sonofabitch.....welp I know how not to do it next time! I'll have to set myself some bottles along the run next time.
I know the feeling. I bring one 20 oz bottle of water & it feels like I'm carrying a cinderblock. I got one of those waist belts that hold the bottle. My feet ache but i guess I just have to keep at it. I can't run as far as you yet. I see people pass me or jog faster than me all the time. My pace is pretty relaxed at around 3.5- 4 mph..

The garden looks great, Dave.  That Giant Pumpkin plant is friggen huge!  Getting back to chiles, glad to see the plants podding up for you and a few ripe pods.  Even though the ornamentals may not be the best for eating fresh, powdering does wonders for their edibility profile, especially if deseeded.  I kind of like the pods off of the Chinese 5-color.  The taste is decent, but they are seedy bastages.  ;)

Keep it up, man.  Good luck with the next run!

Love the jungle look, and the name McStunty had me cracking up. I can usually count on your glog to contain something that gives me a good chuckle.
Things are looking great though, and like others have said, your hard work on that soil is paying off!

PaulG said:
Good for you, King!   No pain, no gain, right!

No Pain, no gain, is right...our body's limits are mostly superficial. Just have to make sure you're doing it properly and let your common sense tell you when enough is enough. It's 99% mental!

Dot Com said:
I know the feeling. I bring one 20 oz bottle of water & it feels like I'm carrying a cinderblock. I got one of those waist belts that hold the bottle. My feet ache but i guess I just have to keep at it. I can't run as far as you yet. I see people pass me or jog faster than me all the time. My pace is pretty relaxed at around 3.5- 4 mph..

Just keep at it Dot Com, remember; "You are doing today what others won't so that you can do tomorrow, what others can't."

DocNrock said:
The garden looks great, Dave.  That Giant Pumpkin plant is friggen huge!  Getting back to chiles, glad to see the plants podding up for you and a few ripe pods.  Even though the ornamentals may not be the best for eating fresh, powdering does wonders for their edibility profile, especially if deseeded.  I kind of like the pods off of the Chinese 5-color.  The taste is decent, but they are seedy bastages.  ;)

Keep it up, man.  Good luck with the next run!

Thanks DnR! There's one giant pumpkin growing on it right now. (I'll post pics prob tomorrow) The garden is beasting out! I'm going to post some pics but I need to get some more recent ones. I've been eating them, they aren't that bad. I've been hooked on the...well, I don't remember the proper name for them but there nick name is "Monkey Nipples" hahahaha. They go great on a buttered and jellied piece of toast/bagel. I think they would do great in a homemade jelly.

Pulpiteer said:
Love the jungle look, and the name McStunty had me cracking up. I can usually count on your glog to contain something that gives me a good chuckle.
Things are looking great though, and like others have said, your hard work on that soil is paying off!

Thank you Andy! There's no other proper name for it, it's a runt and a half. I'm about to harvest the last pepper off of it....hahaha, it makes me laugh. Hey the thing gave me 3 good peppers, which is more than I can say for some other plants of the past. The soil is working out great and can only get better from here. I hope your season is picking up, (mine's slow too) I'll stop in your glog soon.

UPDATE: Ok so I've been slacking on the updates....but I think it's better this way so you guys get a better sense of the growth.....hahahaha (great excuse huh!) 

I'll get the non-pepper related stuff out of the way first. The run went pretty good. I wanted to run (10k-6.2mi) in 1 hour 19 minutes and 56 seconds and I did it in 1 hour 19 minutes and 40 seconds. That was accomplishment number one. Secondly, I took 3rd in my age category and got a metal!....just so happens there were only 3 people in my age category....bahahahahaha! Hey, a wins a win...lol Thing that sucks, I pulled something in my calf around mile 5 (pull, strain, tear...idk) it felt fine after 4 days off but then when I went to run, it came back within 1 mile....so, now I am sticking strictly to riding my bike for a few weeks until whatever needs healing heals. I got a flat about 14 miles from home yesterday....WTF....haha, well looks like I will be getting a fanny pack for the bike and keep some tools and a spare tube in there. Otherwise, things are still going good; I can't wait to get back to running. 

Now onto the garden! I brewed and fed (my home garden) two batches of AACT, they really seem to be loving it. The wild I have growing (that looked like it had a cal/mag deficiency) is looking really good. I love it; one of my favorite plants. Pods are popping everywhere and their growth really seems to be kicking in. 

BUBBLE GUM 7 POT

THIS IS THE 1 GALLON CONTAINER OF 16 PLANTS THAT I JUST STUCK IN THE GROUND. I BELIEVE I CAN SEE 3 VARIETIES THAT HAVE PODS. LOL

CMPMAN1974'S "NOT" BLACK NAGA; MEAN RED CROSS -PODDING UP LIKE CRAZY- (THIS IS IN THE PILE OF 16 PLANTS...)

THIS IS MY WILD (I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S A WILD AT LEAST) I LOVE THIS PLANT; THE WAY IT GROWS IS AMAZING. SOON TO SEE HOW IT TASTES.

PURPLE PEQUIN (AGAIN, I THINK....LOL)

NEED A BUMP PLEASE

BUMP...

Crazy, cool  growth with the plants. For early going insect battles, ya'd never know it cause the plants are flourishing.
Bring on the photo's...

PIC 1 said:
BUMP...

Crazy, cool  growth with the plants. For early going insect battles, ya'd never know it cause the plants are flourishing.
Bring on the photo's...

Thanks for the bump Greg. Actually this is my garden (other garden is at my buddies) and I didn't have the aphid/white fly problem here BUT I did have a huge problem with my grow box which was resulting in small leaves that would grow, fall off, grow, fall off....lol so I was skeptical about these plants too!

FORGET WHAT THIS IS BUT I LOVE HOW IT LOOKS LIKE MUSHROOMS GROWING OUT OF THE GROUND!

MAUI PURPLE

THE ONE AND ONLY REAPER POD THAT IS ON THIS PLANT. THERE ARE A FEW OTHER FLOWERS BLOOMING BUT OVER ALL IT'S DISAPPOINTINGWE WILL SEE WHAT THE REST OF THE YEAR HAS TO BRING.....AT LEAST THE POD SHAPE IS RIGHT.

BRAZILIAN STARFISH. THIS IS ANOTHER PRETTY COOL PLANT.

OVERVIEW OF THE PEPPER SIDE OF THE GARDEN

EXPLOSIVE EMBER AND MAUI PURPLE BUCKET

NOW THIS NEXT SET OF PICTURES IS MY SATELLITE GARDEN OVER AT MY BUDDY JEREMY'S

HERE IS A HARVESTED "YELLOW MONKEY FACE" AND A "JALABANERO"

FIRST DOUGLAH POD....YEP, FOR ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE OUT THERE, FIRST PODS CAN LOOK NOTHING LIKE WHAT WILL COME LATER IN THE SEASON (THIS IS A SECOND YEAR PLANT) IT TASTED GOOD AND WAS STILL A HOT LITTLE BUGGER TOO!

BRIGGY'S AT ABOUT 5' 4" TALL....SEEMS TO HAVE BRANCHED OUT AND LOADED UP WITH PODS. ONCE THESE PODS TURN THOUGH, I'M SURE IT WILL START TO SKY ROCKET AGAIN.

DON'T KNOW WHAT THESE ARE YET BUT THEY'RE THERE....HAHAHA

ONE MORE BUMP SHOULD DO IT! 

HAHA, AWESOME! THANKS GREG!

DON'T GO IN THERE!!!! EXCEPT FOR ALL OF THE BADDIES....GO ON, I KNOW YOU'RE CURIOUS....

I THINK.....THIS ONE IS A HABALOKIA??? MAN, NEXT YEAR I AM GOING TO HAVE A BULLET PROOF LABELING SYSTEM...I SURE FAILED IT THIS YEAR.

THIS IS A SEA OF VOLCANO PEPPERS.....PLANT IS LOADED. HOPE THEY TASTE GOOD!

NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS BUT IT'S GOT PODS! MY WHOLE FREAKIN' GARDEN IS A MYSTERY...

Kewl update :cool:  I label my plants and stillI have a couple that definitely aren't what I think they are. You still might be able to figure out what they are or someone here might if they grow true to form.

Nice work in the garden's, the plants are mas happy!

Pods galore!

Sorry but I had to chuckle about the 14 mile WTF, hope you had a cell phone! Kinda reminds me of the time (only time) I locked my keys in the truck 40 miles from the house. Called the wife, she never said a word, just drove by and chirped the locks...LOL

Be careful with that calf, let it heal or you'll be hating life with a chronic injury...stories cold be told...

Dot Com said:
Kewl update :cool:  I label my plants and stillI have a couple that definitely aren't what I think they are. You still might be able to figure out what they are or someone here might if they grow true to form.
Yes, I think I'll figure out 90% of them. I've already been through the mixup game lol.
Devv said:
Nice work in the garden's, the plants are mas happy!

Pods galore!

Sorry but I had to chuckle about the 14 mile WTF, hope you had a cell phone! Kinda reminds me of the time (only time) I locked my keys in the truck 40 miles from the house. Called the wife, she never said a word, just drove by and chirped the locks...LOL

Be careful with that calf, let it heal or you'll be hating life with a chronic injury...stories cold be told...
Yep, had to call someone to the rescue but I went out and bought everything I need to take care of it myself next time....hopefully lol

What does chirping the locks mean?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to take a rest on that calf.

Well she just drove by and hit the remote to unlock the truck...I wondering if she even looked to make sure I got in...LOL after an 80 round trip of driving...she was not a happy girl..

Have you grown the Brazilian Starfish before?  I'm growing what I think is an Uba Tuba, nice looking pods, but not very productive so far.

Congrats on the run brotha!!! Boo on the calf! Be very careful...this is a problem I know TOO well. Could be a high Achilles tear. The tendon starts out as a big beefy rope at the heal that everyone knows about...then as it goes up it fans out over your calf muscles....I have ruptured mine several times and it is a long recovery process. Sprinting and minimalist shoes should be avoided until you know its strong. Biking is a good bet...any bruising? If yes, see a doc!

Peppers...Wow, look great! Wish we knew what the heck they were!!! :rofl: My true reaper is a SLOW producer also...so no surprise there. Your Not Black Naga looks fan-friggin-tastic!!! Your wild looks like it may be a Wild Brazil or Cumari...Mmmmm!!!! Birgy getting bigger, ripe Dougies...ahhhh. Things are heating up at King's place y'all! Great job on a fantastic and "mysterious" grow!

Devv said:
Well she just drove by and hit the remote to unlock the truck...I wondering if she even looked to make sure I got in...LOL after an 80 round trip of driving...she was not a happy girl..

That's so funny! lol....hey, shit happens!

Spicegeist said:
Have you grown the Brazilian Starfish before?  I'm growing what I think is an Uba Tuba, nice looking pods, but not very productive so far.

No, this is the first year SG. I've never heard of the Uba Tuba (lol funny name) This plant is producing a lot of pods. It's prob. got around 40-50 right now. Pretty cool. Have you grown it before??

stc3248 said:
Congrats on the run brotha!!! Boo on the calf! Be very careful...this is a problem I know TOO well. Could be a high Achilles tear. The tendon starts out as a big beefy rope at the heal that everyone knows about...then as it goes up it fans out over your calf muscles....I have ruptured mine several times and it is a long recovery process. Sprinting and minimalist shoes should be avoided until you know its strong. Biking is a good bet...any bruising? If yes, see a doc!

Peppers...Wow, look great! Wish we knew what the heck they were!!! :rofl: My true reaper is a SLOW producer also...so no surprise there. Your Not Black Naga looks fan-friggin-tastic!!! Your wild looks like it may be a Wild Brazil or Cumari...Mmmmm!!!! Birgy getting bigger, ripe Dougies...ahhhh. Things are heating up at King's place y'all! Great job on a fantastic and "mysterious" grow!

Thanks Shane! That kinda sounds like it a little bit. It's on the left calf and the pain was from the middle calf and went around the big muscle to the front (on one side) It almost feels like a Charlie Horse, tender when I push on it. (getting better now) No bruising; it felt better when I massaged it with the heal of my other foot. It's still jacked up, so I'm going to ride my bike for at least another 7-10 days until I try running on it again. I attribute it to changing the way I run. I was trying to soften my stride/gate and land/push off of the ball of my foot, rather than slamming on my heals so much. Hope it heals soon! I miss my runs!

Peppers....augh yes peppers. I do wish I knew! I remember thinking in the beginning of the season when they were all messed up (labels) "augh no biggy, I don't really care. I'll figure it out" now I'm tearing my hair out trying to guess what they are. And if they don't grow true anyway....hahahahahaha OH WELL. There's always next year right! Yeah, those NBNMRC are gnarly and huge pods! Can't wait for them to ripen up. Definitely not a Wild Brazil, I grew that last year. I'm going to have to check what I planted.......doh! 

Thanks for checkin' in shane! 

SweatSauwce said:
damn those plants are badass howd u get that jalabanero that think looks raw

Hey SS Welcome to THP brudda! How'd I get it? I got the seeds from a member here Aji Joe. He's a real cool dude; a really nice guy. He was selling seeds for 1.00 for 10. I got a lot of my varieties from him. Others from seed trains. If you need some, I'll be more than happy to send you some. Spread the heat! Oh and the Jalabaneros taste freakin' awesome.

Back