• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

3/5King's 2013 ZING!-Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 "If The Boat's a Rockin'....."

we're still Alive!.....now let's get back to growing peppers.

So I decided to start Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 instead of continuing last year’s Glog. This way everything can stay nice and tidy.

If you want to see my shenanigans from last season, CLICK http://thehotpepper....sy35kings-2012/

I’m excited…the season is upon us! (Well except for those that live on the other side of the hemisphere; you bastards have been growing for months!)(Mezo…lol)

Let’s see, where to start….well, I hope everyone’s year is starting out right. I know everyone’s year can’t be going well, so a prayer will go out to all of you that are having a not so good 2013. Me…I’m alive and still ambitious, so I’ll be alright.

On to the plants; well, I started some plants back in November…here I was being hopeful to the extreme..thinking I would have some nice plants to give away around Christmas or the new year….that was my first mistake circa 2013..

I did something wrong (like usual) listed below will be the list of seeds I started and what my setup consists of....(Like it says above…peppin’ ain’t easy)

Seeds 2013 (started Nov. 17, 2012)

Carolina Reaper
Bubble Gum 7pot
Explosive Ember
FireCracker
Red Missle
Purple Puru
Orange Starbust
Cappezoli
Brazilian Starfish

More coming…

Soil

Pro-Mix Organic with sea based compost

Nutrients

General Organics-Bio Thrive (gave first feeding at around 60 days old)

Grow Box/Light Setup

5- 6500 Kelvin 2750 Lumen 1- 2700 Kelvin 2750 Lumen (CFL’s) (Total: 16,500 Lumens)

5- Square foot growing area

Sides and roof lined with mylar bubble wrap (Like the stuff you line your basements with for insulation)

Plants are 4-10 Inches away from lights (depending on how big they are)

Bottom Watered

Foliar fed with bio thrive (every two to three days)

Side Note: (I did water the plants at about 30 days with the used water from my fish tank. I used this water for about 2 weeks and then went back to regular water for awhile)

Temps- 80-90 Degrees

So there you have it, this is the start to my 2012/13 season. Now to get on to the hiccups along the way…dang I forgot to mention the overwinter…I’ll get to that debacle in a minute.

Problems encountered; The plants started growing fine but as they got older, they just randomly dropping leaves (although it seems that the leaves that drop are the older leaves) Not from the bottom up or the top down, just random. Sometimes they drop when they are green, sometimes they drop after they have yellowed and some…some even just shrivel up and die on the plant..lol. This is a funky situation.

Also a lot of the plants seem to be stuck…like the plants look like they are getting older (stems getting thicker, mature leaves) but they aren’t really growing in size anymore. Now I can say that they A. Should have enough light at 3300 lumens a square foot B. Maybe they are too close or not close enough to the light.

My thoughts about the leaf drop: Possible that they are A. Getting too little of light (which shouldn’t be the case) B. They are getting burnt by hot spots from the bubble mylar or C. I have no idea…

Well, if you have any input or ideas as to why my situation is bucked up, please feel free to inform me.

Now for my overwinter; I brought in one Moruga for the winter. When I brought it in, it was thriving. New growth was popping up left and right. It was growing fast, so I asked Pepperguru what I should do. He told me I could just clip it like a bonsai tree. Well…the plant had shot a lot of branched out of the main trunk, before the split. So I cut most of those branches that had shot out, off and left all of the foliage above the first main split. After I did that, the plant didn’t do so well anymore. There really wasn’t anymore new growth and what was there although did get bigger, started to die and drop leaves. As well, the branches started to die from the top down. So I cut them back….everything started dying back more…so I cut it back more. Then one of my last (new) green branches had a dead leaf on it, so I went to pull it off and with barely any pressure, the whole branch pulled right off the plant! Hahahaha…I laughed so hard and then immediately used some cutting gel and stuck it in some soil. The pics you see below are what’s left…..ah haha, It makes me laugh so hard.

So there you have it. I know this was/is a lot to read but I wanted to be thorough lol. This way everyone’s questions are answered before they are asked and you all get an idea of where I’m at and what it took to get here.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN 2013!! Now for the pics..

SOME LEAVES THAT DROPPED
IMG_6587.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6586.jpg

CAROLINA REAPER
IMG_6584.jpg

EXPLOSIVE EMBER
IMG_6582.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6578.jpg

BUBBLEGUM 7
IMG_6575.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6573.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6572.jpg

MORUGA OVERWINTER
IMG_6571.jpg

MORUGA CUTTING
IMG_6570.jpg

nice update King... hows the calyx on the BBG7.. didnt get a chance to see.. now that my plants are done.. time to see everyone elses.. great good and looks like burying those fish parts is helping

That Bubba Gump 7 Pot is a bush! I might have to fit that in for next season.

Happy you are dedicated to the running,it's easy to stray. Life doesn't let me keep any set routine for exercise so I always do it when I can. Jump rope on a lunch break, flex abs while commuting to work,or walk and carry my clubs when golfing.I make sure I stretch a few times a day and even juggle random objects all the time to keep good hand eye coordination. People always say "when you get my age you won't be so active"... well I want to prove them wrong as long as I can.

The gardening shit is a breeze,dedicating yourself to something you really don't have to is hard.Rock on brother!

Right on fellas.  Exercise is key, for sure.

David!  Your garden is exhibiting legendary bestiality!
Those plants may just take over if you are not careful.
Wouldn't that be a drag   ;)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
nice update King... hows the calyx on the BBG7.. didnt get a chance to see.. now that my plants are done.. time to see everyone elses.. great good and looks like burying those fish parts is helping

Thanks Denniz! It seems to be normal so far, as in not over sized. I think the fish definitely helped. A few tweaks here and there and next season will be a banger year.

Pr0digal_son said:
That Bubba Gump 7 Pot is a bush! I might have to fit that in for next season.

Happy you are dedicated to the running,it's easy to stray. Life doesn't let me keep any set routine for exercise so I always do it when I can. Jump rope on a lunch break, flex abs while commuting to work,or walk and carry my clubs when golfing.I make sure I stretch a few times a day and even juggle random objects all the time to keep good hand eye coordination. People always say "when you get my age you won't be so active"... well I want to prove them wrong as long as I can.

The gardening shit is a breeze,dedicating yourself to something you really don't have to is hard.Rock on brother!

Bubba Gump lol. Yeah, it's doing well, thanks P! I'm trying my best to stay as dedicated as possible. I've been down this road before...but I'm a little older and a little wiser this time...I think? Haha, nice! Gotta fit it in where you can, when you can. I always tell everyone to stop looking for a parking spot and go to the back of the lot. Geez like 5 parking spots worth of walking is so friggin' hard! People are always trying to push their negative connotations, they can be as active as they want to be. Go get em' P-son!

PaulG said:
Right on fellas.  Exercise is key, for sure.

David!  Your garden is exhibiting legendary bestiality!
Those plants may just take over if you are not careful.
Wouldn't that be a drag   ;)

That dang pumpkin already is taking everything over! Hahahahaha. Legendary bestiality........woah...poor animals. Hey I told those rabbits to stay out or else...

Things are starting to pod up all over the place. My buddy and I are trying to get around to making our 55 gal. Compost tea barrel.....eventually..haha. Can't wait for the pods to get bigger so I can start I.D.ing everything! 

UPDATE:

Alright, I finally got some pics of the satellite garden. I didn't get many because the mosquitoes are horrible! Next time I will put on a suit of Deet and get all up in the business end of the garden. For now, you will see things from afar.....lol. (even the lawn is horrible....his backyard is adjacent a wetland area...well actually PART of a wetland area lol)

OVERALL SHOT OF THE PEPPER SIDE

VOLCANO PEPPER; THIS PLANT HAS SOME PRETTY COOL GROWTH HABBITS

SCARLET LANTERN HABANERO (I BELIEVE) REALLY LIKE THE GROWTH OF THIS ONE AS WELL. VERY COOL LOOKING PODS.

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY GROWS....

SOME MORE SHOTS FROM AFAR...

BRIGGIT'S LOCOTO; IT HAS BEEN LOADING UP WITH PODS. NOT TOO MUCH VERTICAL MOVEMENT YET....

REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE THIS POD! I'M NOT SURE WHAT THIS VARIETY IS BUT IT IS SUPER COOL. IF YOU LOOK AT THE STEM COMING OFF OF THE PLANT, IT HAS SOME BADASS PURPLE SWIRLING GOING ON; LIKE A CANDY CANE EFFECT....LOVE IT!

THANKS FOR FOLLOWING EVERYBODY! I'LL BE SURE TO POST MORE SOON!

Damn Dave!!! Everything so lush and green, and to think you almost gave up on them bad boys over a few stupid bugs! I grew pumpkins last year...damn things ran acoss the back yard, through and up the hedge, over the fence and into the front yard. I came home from my week at work to see it halfway across the front yard??? Thing creeped me out! Your Birgy looks beautiful just the way she is! No more growth on that one!

Looking really good, David.  I notice your partner isn't afraid to go out in the garden   ;)
The purple andy cane stem is way cool.  never seen anything like that.

Keep up the good work fellas.  

Hey brotha...you asked about holes in the pods over on my grow, and yeah I have had that issue. I think it was some kind of worm that was boring into the pods??? Luckily I haven't run into the problem this season, but if I do I will let you know...if you find something please share as well! Looking forward to an update over here! Had to go three pages deep to find your glog!

Dave you have more mysteries than I do and I was the labeling queen. Aahahaa. Beautiful garden that I could probably sleep in with some mosquito netting. Pods look too good to eat. Well done!!

Damn! I thought I posted here the other day,  Must have hit "back to glogs" instead of post..'70's is really haunting me lately!

Plants really look like they are thriving! Whatever you're doing they're liking it! This IS the plot where you buried the fish right?

I also suffer from holes in the pods, mainly bb sized. Nothing ever gets inside, and I see grasshoppers..most times I try and grab them, throw them down and stomp them. But they are fast, I read that for some reason they sit still when you approach them with a long pair of scissors. Damned if they do, just cut them in half.....I like that!

Keep up the good work!

stc3248 said:
Damn Dave!!! Everything so lush and green, and to think you almost gave up on them bad boys over a few stupid bugs! I grew pumpkins last year...damn things ran acoss the back yard, through and up the hedge, over the fence and into the front yard. I came home from my week at work to see it halfway across the front yard??? Thing creeped me out! Your Birgy looks beautiful just the way she is! No more growth on that one!
I know, it would have been tragic to give up on them...lol they pulled through nicely. I've got pods on almost everything. Starting to figure out what some of them are now...hahahahaha

Pumpkins are real cool but need so much freaking room to grow! Wtf

The Briggy's doing alright. No prize winner but still a serious growing/producing plant. The verdict is still out on the flavor for me,
Sanarda said:
Dave you have more mysteries than I do and I was the labeling queen. Aahahaa. Beautiful garden that I could probably sleep in with some mosquito netting. Pods look too good to eat. Well done!!
Thanks Pia! Come on over, I'll bust out a cot for you!
Jamison said:
Damn King, where the hell have I been. What a beautiful garden bro. Your plants look amazing dude. I'm glad I stopped in!
Well, thanks for stopping in Brudda! You've been busy playing the game of life....fun isn't it?
Bodeen said:
I have to second that....awesome looking grow.
Thanks Bodeen!
Devv said:
Damn! I thought I posted here the other day,  Must have hit "back to glogs" instead of post..'70's is really haunting me lately!

Plants really look like they are thriving! Whatever you're doing they're liking it! This IS the plot where you buried the fish right?

I also suffer from holes in the pods, mainly bb sized. Nothing ever gets inside, and I see grasshoppers..most times I try and grab them, throw them down and stomp them. But they are fast, I read that for some reason they sit still when you approach them with a long pair of scissors. Damned if they do, just cut them in half.....I like that!

Keep up the good work!
Thank you Devv! 70's shmevendies, I do that all the time....lol

Yes, this garden has the fish working their magic.

I see a lot of grasshoppers too....I don't know if they're the culprit but whatever's doing it better watch out....
Dot Com said:
between you two, you'll have plenty of peppers to last you through the off-season
Definitely will. Going to experiment with some preservation methods this year. AND we will be doing a few full grows through the winter....hehehehe Yes'sir!
millworkman said:
That purple stem is awesome the way it twists!!  And those pumpkin leaves look like you could walk on them. 
Hey Mill! Yes I agree, that plant has some very cool pods and ripening habits. I wish I would have planted it on it's own so it could have gotten bigger but it's in a bucket of 4 and another plant has pretty much taken over things.

Those pumpkin leaves are a PITA! We need a garden dedicated to just one pumpkin plant lol

UPDATE:

Things are going alright for the gardens. Plants are really starting to pod up and even a few are barely peaking their colors through. Should Mayhem soon enough.

Denniz, I have a BG7 at my buddy's with the enlarged skirt. I was stoked to see that! Can't wait for them to start ripening.

I'm starting to figure out what some of the plants are. Still won't know for sure on a lot of them until I start getting full ripe pods....and tasting them....yikes!

I've got a lot to say about specific varieties but will wait until I get some pics to go along with the commentary.

@$&#% FOOTBALL!!!......sorry guys....I have turrets when it comes to football. The season is almost here!

I have some special pictures coming soon. Sadly I've got to go to actually work now but will post them in a few hours. Also I'll have a little update on my physical exploits...stay tuned!

3/5King said:
Definitely will. Going to experiment with some preservation methods this year. AND we will be doing a few full grows through the winter....hehehehe Yes'sir!
I'm ready this year too, w/ a light I got at the end of last season, to re-grow all the mislabeled plants (2-3) that didn't turn out the way i want or the seeds were not what I thought they would be. especially these three- Barrackpore, Douglah, & Morouga. I have a Yellow Brain that I'll prolly have to bring in under the light if it doesn't pod-up as well.

As for preserving, yeah, I got a lot to learn in that area especially when it involves canning properly. Thats a whole nother skill. got to be careful you do it right too. Good thing w/ this board is that there are a lot or people who can and know how to do it right. So far, I've just done the simple vinegar & salt sauce that stays well for 6 months or so. Nothing too involved.

Sounds like you're ready to have some winter time fun DC! Yup, this forum has everything you, I and everyone else needs to know.

Speaking of FOOTBALL, I just scored some last minute tickets to tonight's Bears-Chargers game!!! First game I've been to. Section 125 Row 12....I'm stoked!

THIS
60534510-889B-4D67-BE05-086C35F8CECB-149-000000074625EA73.jpg

PLUS THIS

A472EA35-4C7C-4FFB-BF74-81C4087EAA1B-149-000000073D906D0F.jpg

= THIS! Super Brewer!

515D1B66-CC79-4CAD-A734-810769FFC114-149-000000074EB3F884.jpg

Just made that last night. Time to get serious on some AACT.

This is what I got for biking at night. I almost hit two kids on BMX bikes riding at me on my side of the road in a very dark neighborhood.....someone would have been going to the hospital...sigh..kids.

I've got my front light coming today or Tom.

B081A4BD-FF2F-4C9A-A228-40FA66BFF7F5-149-000000075D376B1F.jpg

Time to get my last job done and head down to the CHI for some football!

Now using that compressor is a wonderful idea!

I've been wanting to make some but have been too lazy to drive the 35-45 miles to SA to buy a pump. I'm sure I can choke the flow down with a regulator and the ball valve..

Thanks for posting that!

Devv said:
Now using that compressor is a wonderful idea!

I've been wanting to make some but have been too lazy to drive the 35-45 miles to SA to buy a pump. I'm sure I can choke the flow down with a regulator and the ball valve..

Thanks for posting that!
Yes, it works great! No prob!

The Bears game was awesome! Great seats and we won! Cutler was looking his usual hit or miss self, Forte shinned, our new D-man Bostic put out some wicked hits and the turnovers were flowing.

I was sitting about 30-40 feet away from Cutler's hottie of a wife Kristen Kavilari....good times, good times.

BEAR DOWN!
7B4FD2F8-52DF-4803-B22C-5653E5655F82-316-00000026E17B92C1.jpg

Coming out the tunnel

D40B4FBD-A26A-4B72-84E7-F83A72641B69-316-00000026E517F05D.jpg

E95A9C21-670D-42BB-B497-AC4465D61130-316-00000026E91670EF.jpg

Pre-game
B05E82B1-68BE-4994-A421-059F0044F0BE-316-00000026DC9BBF6F.jpg

Peanut! #33

4CA6B343-5C29-4181-9D1E-B480ED830EA7-316-00000026D2F547B7.jpg

Bear "That Guy"'s wife??

FEC61A9F-B946-4003-AF1F-03A3CE76B5A0-316-00000026D77A8F02.jpg

Cutler's baby momma