• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

3/5King's 2013 ZING!-Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 "If The Boat's a Rockin'....."

we're still Alive!.....now let's get back to growing peppers.

So I decided to start Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 instead of continuing last year’s Glog. This way everything can stay nice and tidy.

If you want to see my shenanigans from last season, CLICK http://thehotpepper....sy35kings-2012/

I’m excited…the season is upon us! (Well except for those that live on the other side of the hemisphere; you bastards have been growing for months!)(Mezo…lol)

Let’s see, where to start….well, I hope everyone’s year is starting out right. I know everyone’s year can’t be going well, so a prayer will go out to all of you that are having a not so good 2013. Me…I’m alive and still ambitious, so I’ll be alright.

On to the plants; well, I started some plants back in November…here I was being hopeful to the extreme..thinking I would have some nice plants to give away around Christmas or the new year….that was my first mistake circa 2013..

I did something wrong (like usual) listed below will be the list of seeds I started and what my setup consists of....(Like it says above…peppin’ ain’t easy)

Seeds 2013 (started Nov. 17, 2012)

Carolina Reaper
Bubble Gum 7pot
Explosive Ember
FireCracker
Red Missle
Purple Puru
Orange Starbust
Cappezoli
Brazilian Starfish

More coming…

Soil

Pro-Mix Organic with sea based compost

Nutrients

General Organics-Bio Thrive (gave first feeding at around 60 days old)

Grow Box/Light Setup

5- 6500 Kelvin 2750 Lumen 1- 2700 Kelvin 2750 Lumen (CFL’s) (Total: 16,500 Lumens)

5- Square foot growing area

Sides and roof lined with mylar bubble wrap (Like the stuff you line your basements with for insulation)

Plants are 4-10 Inches away from lights (depending on how big they are)

Bottom Watered

Foliar fed with bio thrive (every two to three days)

Side Note: (I did water the plants at about 30 days with the used water from my fish tank. I used this water for about 2 weeks and then went back to regular water for awhile)

Temps- 80-90 Degrees

So there you have it, this is the start to my 2012/13 season. Now to get on to the hiccups along the way…dang I forgot to mention the overwinter…I’ll get to that debacle in a minute.

Problems encountered; The plants started growing fine but as they got older, they just randomly dropping leaves (although it seems that the leaves that drop are the older leaves) Not from the bottom up or the top down, just random. Sometimes they drop when they are green, sometimes they drop after they have yellowed and some…some even just shrivel up and die on the plant..lol. This is a funky situation.

Also a lot of the plants seem to be stuck…like the plants look like they are getting older (stems getting thicker, mature leaves) but they aren’t really growing in size anymore. Now I can say that they A. Should have enough light at 3300 lumens a square foot B. Maybe they are too close or not close enough to the light.

My thoughts about the leaf drop: Possible that they are A. Getting too little of light (which shouldn’t be the case) B. They are getting burnt by hot spots from the bubble mylar or C. I have no idea…

Well, if you have any input or ideas as to why my situation is bucked up, please feel free to inform me.

Now for my overwinter; I brought in one Moruga for the winter. When I brought it in, it was thriving. New growth was popping up left and right. It was growing fast, so I asked Pepperguru what I should do. He told me I could just clip it like a bonsai tree. Well…the plant had shot a lot of branched out of the main trunk, before the split. So I cut most of those branches that had shot out, off and left all of the foliage above the first main split. After I did that, the plant didn’t do so well anymore. There really wasn’t anymore new growth and what was there although did get bigger, started to die and drop leaves. As well, the branches started to die from the top down. So I cut them back….everything started dying back more…so I cut it back more. Then one of my last (new) green branches had a dead leaf on it, so I went to pull it off and with barely any pressure, the whole branch pulled right off the plant! Hahahaha…I laughed so hard and then immediately used some cutting gel and stuck it in some soil. The pics you see below are what’s left…..ah haha, It makes me laugh so hard.

So there you have it. I know this was/is a lot to read but I wanted to be thorough lol. This way everyone’s questions are answered before they are asked and you all get an idea of where I’m at and what it took to get here.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN 2013!! Now for the pics..

SOME LEAVES THAT DROPPED
IMG_6587.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6586.jpg

CAROLINA REAPER
IMG_6584.jpg

EXPLOSIVE EMBER
IMG_6582.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6578.jpg

BUBBLEGUM 7
IMG_6575.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6573.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6572.jpg

MORUGA OVERWINTER
IMG_6571.jpg

MORUGA CUTTING
IMG_6570.jpg

Hammer those Hammies and watch the Sammies! Insanity is a great workout. A lot of impact though...

Sounds like you got it all somewhat figured out! Those lights will rock fo-sho. I know you're all into the PAR thing, but color does matter so close eye on that buddy! Can't wait to see what will happen when you can dedicate your OWN space to your hobby, will be awesome. I got BIG plans too...thinking 5-10 acre plant out and 20 x 50 ft heated greenhouse.

Good luck on your mudder event! Mud runs in general are a freaking blast! Add those Tough Mudder obstacles and you're in for a good time.

Keep it real brudda, we'll be watchin!
Shane

The "impact" statement...there are a lot of jumping moves that create potential for injury. We use it sometimes at my unit, and we have the occasional back or ankle injury.

Yeah, I can see that for sure. Rolling an ankle or tweaking the back. I think that can happen with anything. I messed my back up pretty good and that was just from running. I'll try to keep as proper form as I can.

Today was brutal. My outside ankles and hammies are toast....but I made it another day and will continue to make it one day at a time. I'm trying to impose a military mentality and force myself to work through the pain.

That Tough Mudder 10 mile looks so cool! I can't wait. My buddy and I are going to be training for it over the next 7 months. Longest I've ran is a 5k but I know if I prep for it, I'll be able to do it. Even if I finish last...I'm gonna finish.

Went to see the plants today and they had a few residual bugs on them but I squished them. Just gonna keep a close eye on them for awhile. Maybe whip up one of Greg's Cayenne, garlic/I forget what else goes in there spray. I'll get em' sorted out one way or another.

Set up to go pick up the lights Monday! Excited as hell to fire em' up and get some beasts growing.

Well, getting the lights didn't happen Monday and then it was supposed to happen Tuesday....you get the picture. Now another day it's supposed to happen and the guy isn't getting back to me. I'm getting so frustrated it's not even funny....trying to be patient went out the window......mmm, Monday..lol. He's been real communicative up until last night/today. I'm bout to say f**k it and find something else....the deal on these lights is too good to pass up though. So I guess I'll wait....some more lol

In other news, The Grow Down starts tomorrow! Keep an eye on this here glog to see this Three Ring Circus act! :fire:

Little update:

Well, it never went through on those lights. The guy just stopped communicating with me....kinda pissed me off but hey, I don't know what happened, he could be in poor health or was injured possibly...so I said a prayer for him and went on to new business.

New business; We've decided to go with the Quantum Bad Boy 4ft 8 Bulb HO T-5's. Two of them actually. 488 Watts a piece. It's like 3.5 times what we were going to spend with the CL deal but in the end it's gonna be nice. They look pretty badass and have good reviews, so I'm pretty stoked to get them in.

On to the growings! We've sown our seeds....what a wonderful feeling to get the new season off the ground and running.

2013 Grow List

Aji Pineapple x2
Chile De Arbol x2
TepinXJalapeno x2
Chocolate Fatalii x2
Jimmy Nardello x2
Chocolate Lightning x2
Pumpkin Habanero x2
Scarlet Lantern x2
Aji Joe's Chocolate Hand Grenade x2
Volcano Pepper x2
Red Habalokia x2
Yellow Monkey Face x2
Charleston Pepper x2
Santa Fe Grande x2
Peach Scorpanero x2
Jalabanero (F4) x3
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x3
Mexican Jalapeno x3
Cappuccino Habanero x2
Ancient Sweet x4
Cajun Bell x5
7pot Congo SR x2
Parvifolium x2
Casper Pepper x2
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet x2
Orange Starburst x2
Green Scorpion x2
Patrick's SBJ7 (F2) x4
Chocolate Moruga x2
Sepia Serpent x2
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah x3
7pot Burgundy x3
Black Naga x2
White 7pot x2
7pot Chiguana (spelling?) x2
Carolina Reaper x4
Barrackpore x3
Cmpman1974's Mean Not Black Naga Cross x3
Bubble Gum 7pot x5
7pot Primo x3

Over Winter's

Brain Strain x3
Long Choclate Habanero x1
Ancient Sweet x2
Yellow Naga x1
Chocolate Scorpion x1
Douglah x1
Chocolate Bhut x1

Thanks go out to; Jamison, Prodigal_son, Coheed196, Patrick, Aji Joe, Pulpiteer and everyone on the 2012 Seed train. (If I'm forgetting anyone, please remind me!)

In Other news, we bought 20 Lbs of Red Jalapenos for the base in "J&D's Homegrown Hotties" next line of powder. I'll keep you all updated when it comes out.

Now for the PICS....I know all you bastiges aren't here for my sweet words.

Jalapenos Galore!
CB4AC04E-6459-42EB-875B-67B02C1088A6-30497-000024531B217721.jpg

My Bubblegum 7pot project
1318CC7B-2BE4-489D-9086-A37D58735949-30497-000024532F25F4D8.jpg

Overwinter's still holding strong, although there's still a small infestation of multiple breeds of pest
DD63FBCE-D839-4F1B-965F-674750F834AE-30497-00002452F278D1B8.jpg

Jeremy; with the task of sowing all of the seeds. (I was in charge of creating the map for the seed tray)
DCC9FF55-FA5F-49EC-A08D-703D3E29BEAF-30497-0000245307B57027.jpg

In there new home for now; all warm and fuzzy.
E38BAB57-ED83-41DD-8192-FCA19118AFC3-30497-00002452FCC71571.jpg

Unrelated picture; I almost stepped on this bird while working a few days ago. Luckily (for some unknown reason) I looked down before I took that step. A nice Purple Finch for you guys.
B0C0D77B-700C-49E1-B0D6-A8218A77C6B7-30497-0000245356AC7DE3.jpg

098DF1E4-AB22-474B-A5E1-38C90BEF35E6-30497-00002453440043D6.jpg

83C965D5-F95A-4396-B411-F6DFD45C5E3C-30497-0000245337C4AD29.jpg

Great list! You're gonna love those lights! Be careful...they are hotter than other floros. Your shiz is gonna be bangin a month from now!!! Can't wait, starting off right, not cutting corners! It'll pay off in pods later...but you're right "It ain't easy!"

Great list! You're gonna love those lights! Be careful...they are hotter than other floros. Your shiz is gonna be bangin a month from now!!! Can't wait, starting off right, not cutting corners! It'll pay off in pods later...but you're right "It ain't easy!"

Thanks Shane! I am really excited for all these new varieties. It's going to be so much fun growing them all.

So we bought the light today. (Quantum Badboy 8 bulb T-5) Need to make some more money before we invest in the next one, hopefully within a month we will get the other. This is going to be great! We didn't get the QBB lights though. We found cheaper Agroflow light bulbs that we went with. We figure that last year we used 6500K 2700 lumen T-8s from HomeDepot, so these have to be better.

Wait until you guys see the watering/fertigation system we are putting together....it will blow your minds...lol

Still had bugs, (not as many) so I squirted the plants down with some more Bondide....we'll see what happens. If it comes down to it, if they're not gone by the time we plant out, I might have to bomb them. I'm not ruining the whole season over it.

I moved the OW's, rehung the lighting for them and got the loft ready for the new lights and the start of the growing season....It's gonna be a great season.

I'm also having my buddy who welds plastic make us a 6ftX5ftX3in watering tray....that is going to be nice...better than our leaky wooden, plastic lined one from last year. He told me I don't have to pay him, just get in shape for his weeding in August....hahahaha....DONE.

My buddy has a new addition to the family in the form of a Beagle/English Bulldog...I figured I'd introduce him to my extended fam.

A52E9F6E-2FA1-4676-BD70-8AF366D483D4-31088-000024AF97DCAE1E.jpg

Rallie
23681E20-A865-4042-849B-05D8402A2EAC-31088-000024AF9D396CAA.jpg

AKA: Lump
56D0B9F2-E720-412C-AD35-5803D635F306-31088-000024AFA0653525.jpg

I want a quantum bad boy. I'm sure they'll work wonders. I'm sure you saw Melissa's. Good luck with them

Hey KD, yeah, I didn't see her's but I read her post saying she got one and loved it.

So I was just informed last night that there's a crew dredging the top of the river, trying to make it deeper (by my friends Dad's house) they have huge 30X30ft bags sitting in front of his house. My friend says that it's nice and black and that I can get as much of it as I want for free.....now THAT is great news.

I don't know what it's comprised of but I'm sure that it would make an awesome addition to my garden. I'd assume it's filled with all kinds of goodies?

That river bottom soil will be full of greatness. I would pick up as much as you can and till it in all over...or build some raised beds with it. Everything's coming together for a great season.

Great list, good looking overwinters, and nice grow room. Those lights are gonna be kickin'! Good lookin' dog! But the kicker is going to be that river dirt. Nice score!

I tend to agree with everyone's assement of the potential of the river soil, but I do have a nagging doubt. You might want to check with your local county extension agent about getting a sample tested for heavy metal and other contaminants. Depending on the watershed, sediments can carry a pretty high contaminant load. I know of a lake that has significant PCB and/or dioxin contamination in the sediment. Instead of dredging it, they decided to just leave it be and let fresh sediment cover it up. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer; just sayin'...

Edit: I looked it up. Lake Saracen is/was contaminated with PCBs.

I tend to agree with everyone's assement of the potential of the river soil, but I do have a nagging doubt. You might want to check with your local county extension agent about getting a sample tested for heavy metal and other contaminants. Depending on the watershed, sediments can carry a pretty high contaminant load. I know of a lake that has significant PCB and/or dioxin contamination in the sediment. Instead of dredging it, they decided to just leave it be and let fresh sediment cover it up. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer; just sayin'...

Not at all Sawyer, I agree, anything is possible. I think I might get it sent off and tested to make sure. It sure sounds awesome though right! lol

UPDATE: I got the Quantum Badboy! All I can say is, it looks bad ass...will have to wait to see how it performs. The bulbs I bought separately; agromax T-5 6400K.

So we got those lights hung and dealt with the OW's (yup, they still have bugs....I've shot them up with Bondide three times now, not to mention cleaning all the leaves off with rubbing alcohol) So I think it's safe to say that Bondide sucks and I will never purchase it again. Hope that the bugs don't make their way over to my new plants (once they come up) I'm going to check on them again tonight and see what's going on with them.

We decided that we would get another Quantum Badboy 8 bulb setup. Should have it by monday....lol 16 bulbs at 80,000 initial lumens....yeah, it's getting FUBAR up in this glog already. Can't wait to have some massive plants sitting under these beaut's.

This is the first year I've tried using pucks to start our seeds in. I looked inside the holes the other day and there were some tails sticking out of random varieties. So hopefully today I will see some of them standing tall out of their bunker.

Here's some pics of our setup and I'll have some more pics to come tonight. Thanks for hangin' with me guys and gals.

IMG_6676.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6683.jpg

IMG_6684.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

Man....jealous of that LIGHT! Too late for this season anyway...been watching CL. You'll be shocked how fast they take off.

Thanks Shane. They are pretty wicked aren't they? I'm kinda glad that other light deal from CL fell through...lol. Have my second fit test today for Insanity (and weigh in) I'm pretty amped up to see the results. Now if only my Brigits Locoto would sprout!

Not at all Sawyer, I agree, anything is possible. I think I might get it sent off and tested to make sure. It sure sounds awesome though right! lol

I hope it tests out clean and safe. It will definitely be a sweet addition to your grow. Around here, the county extension agent will perform a test for free. Or at least they used to... hmmm, I guess that was a couple decades ago.

IMG_6682.jpg

Let there be light!

UPDATE:

I've got some sprouts! Although I'm a little nervous about them. I'm using pucks to germ in this year (first time) and I don't like how the seedlings pop out of them, some of them, the root is almost above the rim of the puck. I'm afraid when I (which I just did tonight) put them under light, it will negatively affect them. We will see, it's never a bad thing to experiment and try new things.

The OW's looked good, I didn't see any pests on them (I only gave them a half ass look) so we will see what happens in the next couple days.

I took the lids off of the seed trays and have them under half light (20,000 lumens) The light's about 2.5 feet away from them. I'll see how they respond to this and adjust the light accordingly. They are still on the heating mat though. I'll leave that go until I get nearly all of what's going to germinate up.

Side Note: Today was the next fit test for INSANITY and I weighed in 14lbs light and I doubled and a few tripled my beginning number of reps. Time to step it up to the next level for these next two weeks.

Some of the seedlings shown below are Jalapeno varieties, Ancient Sweet, SBJ7, 7pot Green and a few others. Figure I'll get a bit more specific when they grow up a little.

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6712.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

Jeez Dave, i want my retina`s back please. :lol: that`s more of a sun bed surely (and don't call me Shirley) how many amps does that suck? or watts & ill work it out (ohms law) and same for the rope light, power usage? and can you control the temp? does it have a thermo switch to kick it on/off.

great grow list, oh yeah,,,did Pia end up singing you a lullaby yet mate?

EDIT: I may have worked this out from your pictures? so a total of 360w would give you a total load of 3.2A

Mezo.

hmm, is that how you water your seedlings? Looks like a lot of water
Thats something new for me.

btw, good luck on the Tough Mudder run. Have fun! Look up HIIT for running :)

Back