• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

3/5King's 2013 ZING!-Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 "If The Boat's a Rockin'....."

we're still Alive!.....now let's get back to growing peppers.

So I decided to start Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 instead of continuing last year’s Glog. This way everything can stay nice and tidy.

If you want to see my shenanigans from last season, CLICK http://thehotpepper....sy35kings-2012/

I’m excited…the season is upon us! (Well except for those that live on the other side of the hemisphere; you bastards have been growing for months!)(Mezo…lol)

Let’s see, where to start….well, I hope everyone’s year is starting out right. I know everyone’s year can’t be going well, so a prayer will go out to all of you that are having a not so good 2013. Me…I’m alive and still ambitious, so I’ll be alright.

On to the plants; well, I started some plants back in November…here I was being hopeful to the extreme..thinking I would have some nice plants to give away around Christmas or the new year….that was my first mistake circa 2013..

I did something wrong (like usual) listed below will be the list of seeds I started and what my setup consists of....(Like it says above…peppin’ ain’t easy)

Seeds 2013 (started Nov. 17, 2012)

Carolina Reaper
Bubble Gum 7pot
Explosive Ember
FireCracker
Red Missle
Purple Puru
Orange Starbust
Cappezoli
Brazilian Starfish

More coming…

Soil

Pro-Mix Organic with sea based compost

Nutrients

General Organics-Bio Thrive (gave first feeding at around 60 days old)

Grow Box/Light Setup

5- 6500 Kelvin 2750 Lumen 1- 2700 Kelvin 2750 Lumen (CFL’s) (Total: 16,500 Lumens)

5- Square foot growing area

Sides and roof lined with mylar bubble wrap (Like the stuff you line your basements with for insulation)

Plants are 4-10 Inches away from lights (depending on how big they are)

Bottom Watered

Foliar fed with bio thrive (every two to three days)

Side Note: (I did water the plants at about 30 days with the used water from my fish tank. I used this water for about 2 weeks and then went back to regular water for awhile)

Temps- 80-90 Degrees

So there you have it, this is the start to my 2012/13 season. Now to get on to the hiccups along the way…dang I forgot to mention the overwinter…I’ll get to that debacle in a minute.

Problems encountered; The plants started growing fine but as they got older, they just randomly dropping leaves (although it seems that the leaves that drop are the older leaves) Not from the bottom up or the top down, just random. Sometimes they drop when they are green, sometimes they drop after they have yellowed and some…some even just shrivel up and die on the plant..lol. This is a funky situation.

Also a lot of the plants seem to be stuck…like the plants look like they are getting older (stems getting thicker, mature leaves) but they aren’t really growing in size anymore. Now I can say that they A. Should have enough light at 3300 lumens a square foot B. Maybe they are too close or not close enough to the light.

My thoughts about the leaf drop: Possible that they are A. Getting too little of light (which shouldn’t be the case) B. They are getting burnt by hot spots from the bubble mylar or C. I have no idea…

Well, if you have any input or ideas as to why my situation is bucked up, please feel free to inform me.

Now for my overwinter; I brought in one Moruga for the winter. When I brought it in, it was thriving. New growth was popping up left and right. It was growing fast, so I asked Pepperguru what I should do. He told me I could just clip it like a bonsai tree. Well…the plant had shot a lot of branched out of the main trunk, before the split. So I cut most of those branches that had shot out, off and left all of the foliage above the first main split. After I did that, the plant didn’t do so well anymore. There really wasn’t anymore new growth and what was there although did get bigger, started to die and drop leaves. As well, the branches started to die from the top down. So I cut them back….everything started dying back more…so I cut it back more. Then one of my last (new) green branches had a dead leaf on it, so I went to pull it off and with barely any pressure, the whole branch pulled right off the plant! Hahahaha…I laughed so hard and then immediately used some cutting gel and stuck it in some soil. The pics you see below are what’s left…..ah haha, It makes me laugh so hard.

So there you have it. I know this was/is a lot to read but I wanted to be thorough lol. This way everyone’s questions are answered before they are asked and you all get an idea of where I’m at and what it took to get here.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN 2013!! Now for the pics..

SOME LEAVES THAT DROPPED
IMG_6587.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6586.jpg

CAROLINA REAPER
IMG_6584.jpg

EXPLOSIVE EMBER
IMG_6582.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6578.jpg

BUBBLEGUM 7
IMG_6575.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6573.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6572.jpg

MORUGA OVERWINTER
IMG_6571.jpg

MORUGA CUTTING
IMG_6570.jpg

Hey King!
Nice score on the badboys!
I just recently scored one off craigslist. 12 lamp for $100 NIB.. couldn't pass it up.
It fit perfectly in my 4x4 tent.
Within a week of being under that fixture my peppers were putting on pods.
Now I'm getting stupid amounts of growth and pods.

Just wait about two weeks... You'll be real happy with what these things can do for your plants.
Good luck with your season! I'll definitely be following your progress.

That's a wicked deal. Even if I had these two already, I wouldn't have passed that deal up...lol

After seeing the growth I got from 14 T-8's at only 32w I can only imagine what 16 T-5's at 54w will do...with better reflectors as well.

I always plant the seeds 14 in deep in the pellets and cover them. Leaning away from it, had great rates last year, and crappy rates this year. I think I will go with a seed starting mix and revamp my germ setup copycating a few folks on here...hope your plot rocks it for you! What was the outcome on the dredge soil?

I know by now you're in the insanity "groove" so you should be feeling stronger through your workouts, but still spent in the end. I'm sure the results will be great!

I always plant the seeds 14 in deep in the pellets and cover them. Leaning away from it, had great rates last year, and crappy rates this year. I think I will go with a seed starting mix and revamp my germ setup copycating a few folks on here...hope your plot rocks it for you! What was the outcome on the dredge soil?

I know by now you're in the insanity "groove" so you should be feeling stronger through your workouts, but still spent in the end. I'm sure the results will be great!

Not sure about the dredge soil yet, I haven't gotten over there to get a sample. I'm going to have to do it soon so I can have it tested before plant out. It's a bonus if it works out.

You said it just right, I do feel stronger through the workouts and I'm still gassed as hell at the end. The whole workout is a push for more, so I feel I'm doing more in the beginning and I still start feeling spent at the same time. Still can't make the workout without the heart rate maxed out lol. But I feel great and stronger day by day. Did the weigh in today. I dropped another 7 pounds. 340 down to 317 in a month. It'll do but I was hoping for bigger numbers. To be honest, with all of the big muscle groups getting destroyed in the "Insanity" workout, I think my numbers have to do with putting on muscle. It's not easy throwing this big ol' body around 6 days a week!

Yesterday was my day off so I decided to get on the treadmill and see if I could put in three miles. Well, I warmed up for a 1/4 mile and then ran 1.5 straight, after that my heart rate was maxed and I was back and forth between walking and running the rest of it. I'd say I ran 70 and walked 30 percent. Took me 48 minutes. I'm happy with it, like I said, I'm a big guy and after a month, dropping a little weight and being able to run what I did was impressive to me. I can't wait to see what I'll be able to do in another month! Although that run took a huge toll on me today and I'll probably wait until I drop some more weight to try it again. It's pretty high impact on my body even being on a treadmill.

I'm on the recovery week now....we watched what it in store for us after week 5....holy shit it get's intense! It takes week 1-4 and makes it look like pee-wee football and now I'm entering the NFL but all I know is I'll try my best and push harder and harder, day by day.

Tomorrow my buddy John is coming out and bringing us our new 5' by 6' watering tray! Can't wait to put that baby to use. I'll probably pot up all of the seedlings tomorrow as well. So hopefully some pics to come!

I typed out and deleted a little about gaining muscle...I didn't wanna jinx you. You're right though, just don't let the numbers discourage you. Walk some hills/stairs and quit making distance your goal..."Today I will jog for 30 minutes, or 45 or I will walk stairs for 20 minutes. Alternate between pace and push...will help you both find, and get out of your comfort zone. Intervals on a bike, treadmill or elliptical will put much less stress on you...nuff about that stuff.

I would jump on that river soil if I could for sure. Dunno if you ever saw the "riverbottom scorpions" that AJ posted pics of a while ago. If not you should try to find it.

Sounds like you're doing awesome! I'd listen to Shane's advice, he eats marathons for breakfast. Just for my 2 cents - I think you're right about the muscle thing too, and from my experience in the last few years of just doing the elliptical, measure your progress by how your clothes fit rather than pounds lost.

I'm curious to see that watering tray you guys are putting together. You'll have quite a set up.

I typed out and deleted a little about gaining muscle...I didn't wanna jinx you. You're right though, just don't let the numbers discourage you. Walk some hills/stairs and quit making distance your goal..."Today I will jog for 30 minutes, or 45 or I will walk stairs for 20 minutes. Alternate between pace and push...will help you both find, and get out of your comfort zone. Intervals on a bike, treadmill or elliptical will put much less stress on you...nuff about that stuff.

I would jump on that river soil if I could for sure. Dunno if you ever saw the "riverbottom scorpions" that AJ posted pics of a while ago. If not you should try to find it.

Thanks for the advice Shane.

Got Damn! That is one F'ing amazing channel of plants. Pure awesome.

I just got to see the long bags of river bottom "soil" today....they're crazy. I'll post some pictures a little later.
Sounds like you're doing awesome! I'd listen to Shane's advice, he eats marathons for breakfast. Just for my 2 cents - I think you're right about the muscle thing too, and from my experience in the last few years of just doing the elliptical, measure your progress by how your clothes fit rather than pounds lost.

I'm curious to see that watering tray you guys are putting together. You'll have quite a set up.

Thanks Andy! Yeah, Shane knows what's up.

I don't usually put too much emphasis on what the scale says. I actually want to get a Taylor's tape measure and go by different body measurements..that's the best way to see your results.

I'll be posting pics of the watering tray and whatnot in a little bit.

UPDATESKI:

I know I said I would do this two days ago; sorry guys/gals.

Alright, well..everything is good in the pepper world....my pepper world that is. The seedlings are coming along, we've potted up about 40% of them. Lack of pots and soil prohibited further potting up but we went out last Sunday and got that, we just haven't gotten to doing it yet. We've got our new tray in place and we're ready for these babies to explode.

The OW's still have had a few aphids come back..I've been taking care of them every two weeks or so. Last time I was up there, one of our Ancient sweets had a decent amount on them, so I just threw it away...It seemed to be the one that kept getting all of them on it and I can buy Ancient Sweet's by the case if I want, so I 86'd that sucker. Another plant had a few aphids on it, so I tried another "method" of termination....I took a torch to the branch that had them on it and made ashes of those suckers. Yes, the plant suffered a little bit but hey, it's still got 80% of it's foliage to work with. I'll report back in a week and let you know how it worked out...lol.

Our tray is awesome...couldn't have asked for anything better..my buddy John came through and we are extremely grateful to him. It's 6 feet long by 5 feet wide and 3 inches tall. Fit's nicely and will fit tons of plants...120 1gallon pots to be exact.

Brigit's Locoto....yeah, you guys in the growdown better watch out because we are coming for you! Don't mess with crazy...it bites..

I've got a picture of the long sacks of river sediment..two pictures to be exact because the bags are so long that one pic couldn't hold all of it's greatness. I'd say that it's about 75-100 feet long, 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall. There are four of them right now. I guess that they pump the sediment into the bags and let the water settle out and then they use a front end loader and take it away. This spring when they start working on it again, we'll be there with the duelly ready to reap the rewards! (after we get a small sample tested that is) Reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies..."up through the ground came a bubblin' crude....soil that is"

With the new lights, we are coming into a heat issue...so we are going to cut an opening into our ventilation hood (3-4 ton blower motor) and put a flap in. It will be on a timer and the flap will allow my buddy Jeremy to still use the hood for ventilation of the lower area. That thing can clear the air out of that shed in 3 minutes so it will do just fine....go big or go home.

If I forgot anything....well, not if but whatever I forgot to mention (yes my brain hates me and my memory is on strike for the foreseeable future) I'll fill ya'll in later.

RIVER SEDIMENT BAGS
BA80092E-4E22-4F63-B7AD-04F7A73EEB5E-9462-00000C604855C762.jpg

BA7F5BA2-84B1-4F22-A741-346579E8DA86-9462-00000C603AE98554.jpg

PEPPER PENTHOUSE
IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

SEEDLINGS AND BRIGIT'S LOCOTO (YEAH, YOU SEE IT)
IMG_6747.jpg

EMPTY TRAY PICS
IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6744.jpg

SOIL WE ARE USING THIS SEASON
IMG_6745.jpg

Awesome...following this one now :)

Thanks DC, welcome to the fun house!

Damn Dave...everything coming together and looking sahwheeet! Those little Birgits are so...cute!

Tank ya Shane.

Ha! Don't let their cuddly demeanor fool you...they've got redwoods for souls..

Those bags look like giant river worms come to visit.

Sawyer, I couldn't agree more! It's like secret op bags of super soil....there were probably Navy Seals among the woods watching me as I took the pictures....

Oh....and pay no attention to the 372 plugs hanging from one outlet, above....it's completely safe I tell you..

Damn Dave...everything coming together and looking sahwheeet! Those little Birgits are so...cute!

Awwww look at the little birgy's. Coochy coo!

Good to see you are sticking to the program. It will be good for your noggin too,not just your body. I don't have time to exercise as much as I would like to but I have a couple 2# jump ropes,one at home and one in the vehicle. It is amazing what something so basic can do for you.

You guys are on the ball this year,and leaving no stone unturned. All the prep work should benefit you. By August you will be getting your workouts from picking pods!

Dude, that river soil is probably going to reap huge benefits tilled into your grow plot. Love the "pepper penthouse!" Can't wait to see some outdoor shots with NO SNOW...hahaha! Good luck on the workout routine. Just started myself a couple of weeks ago.

Great update - classic 3/5 King update: great information and some stuff that really makes me chuckle... like that Beverly Hillbillies line...

That tray and new light combo look awesome. I'll be interested to see how your season goes this year with all of the good work you're doing on your soil. The starting stuff is important and cool and all, but the soil... that's where it's at, and you've been pumping life into it.

So, I replied to all of you yesterday and when I was done quoting everyone and filling in the space below with charismatic jargon, witty satire and the like...my computer decided to crap in my cheerios and not post my comments....

So to sum up what I said in a few words; ....thank you, I know and isn't it!?....lol

Hope you all had a great St. Patty's Day. I'll be posting some more pics and a story or two tonight or tomorrow morning....I've got to go do some "Insanity" right now...and who knows what I'll feel like doing after that....I'm a masochist...what can I say!

"Welcome to the Fray" is an all to fitting title for this glog...the grow is alllllllll F'd up. We have aphids coming out of our ears. I've fogged them twice and used a home made (garlic, hot powder, soap, olive oil) spray on them as well. Not to mention the 5 times I sprayed them with Bondide beforehand. The fogs knocked them down good but they are still there and just keep coming back.

The plants are also suffering from all of this. The growth is lacking and it's come down to a major decision. I'm either going to toss everything (dirt, plants, pots) and start over (yeah, I know it's late) which is looking like a more and more viable option. I mean, with how small the plants are, I could start seeds now and have plants just as big in 2 1/2 weeks.....and they'll keep growing bigger (mine are growing, but at a slower rate) last year at this time, I had leaves the size of my hand....so frustrating.

Otherwise, I just keep battling the bugs and just HOPE that the plants pull through and I don't just waste my time. My buddy and I are deciding tonight whether we're going to start over or not.

The way I look at it, we can get a green house towards the end of the season and put the plants in there to extend the season (since we would be starting over late)

Any ideas??? IDK....I'm all out. Our setup up top in the loft is not user friendly either, when it comes to taking all the plants out or moving them around or working with them. When there's no bugs, it works out fine.....well next year, no plants are coming in the grow area for overwintering....we're going to set up a new spot for them.

:mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire:

Back